Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Slightly Off Center
Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
The People You Meet
On one of my rides this past weekend I was riding through Hopedale Center on a leisurely 12mph pace when I passed an older gentleman walking in the opposite direction on the sidewalk next to me. He had on on a pair of old dirty chinos, white tee-shirt and baseball hat, with a cigarette hanging from his mouth. As I passed he moved his arms in a cranking motion (kinda like the traveling penalty in basketball) and yelled "Get crankin that thing". Geez, I though "what's his deal", either:
1. He just felt like bustin my chops
2. He is a certified loon
3. He is a past "Tour de Somewhere" winner that would have dropped my ass in a second on his bike.
About 10 miles farther I was on a back country road which has some of those expensive yuppie sub-divisions off of it. I passed a very attractive blond jogger going up a hill and in a pleasant, enthusiastic voice she yelled "Good morning, beautiful day isn't it, nice bike, have a good ride". So either:
1. She is just one of those eternally happy, overly friendly people
2. Thought I was someone else
3. Likes old guys riding in a beer tee-shirt and cargo shorts
I guess I'll never know.
Damn, I love riding....
BTW, none of the four other bikers I passed going in the opposite direction returned a wave.