User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 5500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help! I'm slowing down.

I keep a rather detailed ride log, and I have recently noticed a slight slowing in terms of average mph. (Based on a moving average of last 10 rides). I ride almost exclusively the same route but obviously there are weather variables.

One slight change I made in bike setup was a new carbon bar but the difference in reach is nominal. Can wearing of tires make a speed difference? Im not speaking of wearing down to threads, but both my front and rears (GP4000s) have developed a small flattening of the riding surface. The only other thing I can think of is the chain, which has about 3000 miles on it but less than 1/8 inch stretch at the 12 mark.

The bike is kept in showroom condition, along with regular chain and drive train maintenance

My endurance, etc. has improved so why the slowdown?

PS Discuss overall body weight distribution in speed terms. Can getting too much weight off the saddle and on the bars have a negative effect?

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I thought I worried too much

How much of a slowdown are we talking about here? You sure it's not just overtraining? How many nights a week do you ride?

Steve

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet you a beer if you cut your mileage way back, with two complete days off and two very easy recovery rides on the four days before your next hammerfest, you will be as fast or probably faster than ever. Nobody, but nobody is at his peak all the time. You may even need more recovery than that. Sometimes to ride fast you gotta ride slow.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will come a point for all of us that regardless of training, we'll start to slow down. Now the question is, are you at that point now? I'd seriously consider Blackberry's advice. Take a rest day and a few easier rides to see what it does for you. You may be over training. And yes, too much weight off the saddle and onto the bars can have a negative effect on lots of different thing... hands, shoulders, etc. How much has your overall position changed. You may have shifted postion enough to take some major muscles out of their most effective position in terms of getting you moving forward. For example, if I'm not bent at the waist far enough, my lower back and upper thigh muscles don't work as well.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Yet another vegan biker
    My Bikes
    Sakae Prism, Vintage Fuji bike(S), too many bikes, one from scratch bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I need to take a day off every week or I slow down.

I ride almost exclusively the same route
    Be bold and set off on an adventure. We all need some new scenery.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I'm doing the same thing. I'm going to change to riding shorter but faster rides with groups to get the tempo back up. I don't need to build up any more base miles.........If you seriously want to go faster you have to do shorter, harder rides and spend more time NOT riding in between........I know what I need to do but just enjoy the saddle time too much to change right now!!!

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The two main things that affect speed is overtraining, are you getting enough rest? For me that means two days off the bike each week. or doing the same ride every day. If you do the same ride every day you will soon reach a peak and not get much improvement. You will need to try interval training and doing sprints to increase your speed. The alternate is to find a good group ride that is riding faster than you. Generally this means you can hang on for most of the ride and get dropped occasionaly. By trying to hang on with the fast guys you will improve your speed until you no longer get dropped.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I feel like I'm doing the same thing. I'm going to change to riding shorter but faster rides with groups to get the tempo back up. I don't need to build up any more base miles.........If you seriously want to go faster you have to do shorter, harder rides and spend more time NOT riding in between........I know what I need to do but just enjoy the saddle time too much to change right now!!!
    That's the same problem I have! I know I need to rest, but I'm having to much fun getting the miles in.

Steve

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    There will come a point for all of us that regardless of training, we'll start to slow down.
    I do a long charity ride each year (450 miles over 4 1/2 days). I have ridden a lot of miles with Steve, who is on the downhill side of 70. We were riding along (we average about 15mph), chatting about life when a couple of younger riders passed us on the left - my natural tendancy was to pick up the pace a bit and Steve said "When you are riding a good pace, and you are passed by someone who is half your age, that is how it should be"

Very sage advice, although I have to worry about how hard I have to work to keep up with someone 20 years my senior!