Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished BA @ 51

Early in May I finished my Bachelorís Degree in History with a minor in PoliSci. Cool, and I'm proud of my accomplishment! But the last two semesters were very busy with a large demand on my time. This past winter I put on 25 pounds and my gut doubled in size!

I'm just now getting a late start on my riding season! My normal drive to get the season started has been non-existent! This puzzled me. I think I figured it out tho. With the weight gain over the year, and the size of my growing gut, I think I talked myself into a frame of mind that said it is too late to do anything about this poor state of affairs. That and I have planned to attend no organized rides this year (such as RAGBRAI or CNC etc.). Whooies me!

Once I struck upon and understood my seemingly hopeless mind set, I recognized that I can still get back the fitness I enjoyed as early as last October. Today I got my butt out there and rode 35 easy miles. I'm tired, my average HR is up, but I feel good! I'll be out again tomorrow for an even easier recovery ride. I am also monitoring my diet. No bier, chips, Ice Cream and other junk foods for awhile.

All in all, it looks like I'm on my way back! It is not too late to get my figure and fitness back!

Thanks for listening!
    Gus
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...33f/weight.png

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Riley
    I'll be out again tomorrow for an even easier recovery ride.
    Gus
    That's the story of my entire riding career--and not a bad way to ride through the decades, lose some weight, meet girls and have a lot of fun. Keep posting and enjoy your re-entry to cycling.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your BA. I will be more than 51 when I get there. I did get my AA at 48 but it was really just a stepping stone to the BA. It sure takes a long time to earn a degree taking one or two classes at a time...
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am on my 11th year of a doctorate (1-year extension by petition). If the dissertation is not finished and defended by May, 2007, that's it, more than a decade of teaching fulltime & taking one class at a time & paying all that money down the drain.

Congrats on coming to closure on your degree. Give yourself a new bike for graduation...ask Digital Gee about all the bikes available, especially carbon fiber!
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the degree and on getting back onto the bike!!
    Two very important things.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    I am on my 11th year of a doctorate (1-year extension by petition). If the dissertation is not finished and defended by May, 2007, that's it, more than a decade of teaching fulltime & taking one class at a time & paying all that money down the drain.

Congrats on coming to closure on your degree. Give yourself a new bike for graduation...ask Digital Gee about all the bikes available, especially carbon fiber!
    My flagship is already carbon. The family chipped in and purchased a Rolex for my Achievement! I thought that was pretty extravagant! Then they clued me in that it is a knock-off ($60)! Cool! Pretty watch and it keeps good time!
    2012 TransAm Tour journal link: http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Threeisacharm

Naked Carbon Weave Aegis Aro Svelte, Purpleen Cannondale RT3000 Tandem, Orange Santana Triplet, Surly Long Haul Trucker

So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides, 4th Century B.C.E.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus Riley
    Early in May I finished my Bachelorís Degree in History with a minor in PoliSci. Cool, and I'm proud of my accomplishment! But the last two semesters ........ No bier, chips, Ice Cream and other junk foods for awhile.

All in all, it looks like I'm on my way back! It is not too late to get my figure and fitness back!

Thanks for listening!
    Gus
    Congrat's!!!!! on the new BA and re-commitment to getting in shape.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the degree. Never give up on your dreams.

I started and quit on a masters degree in history... twice. Then I hauled off and did my MBA in two years when I was late 40's.

Again, congratulations on your B.A. Now get back on the bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Gus, good to see you posting again, welcome back. Congratulations on that B.A.

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the BA and the ride.

If everything goes well, I will have a BA by December for my midlife crisis. Then I plan to start my Masters in January.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!! Sounds like your focus and attention has been zeroed in on the the BA which is remarkable. Well done!!

You know you want to get that weight back down so enjoy your time back out on the bike!!

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the BA. Took me 8 years at night. I know when I finally finished it was real hard to get back into a normal schedule. Good Job!
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, Gus.

You have been around here a long time, and I have missed your postings.

Welcome back.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I am really "stoked" about getting some miles in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!