Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed............

For the past few weeks I have been debating buying a steel Soma frame and finally took the plunge last week, and the frame arrived at the lbs today.

Since I am working a night shift I stopped at the shop to see how the transfer of parts from my Trek 1200 to the Soma was going only to be told that my stock fork steer tube was too short and I had to order a new fork.

In the overall scheme of things this is about as trivial as it gets, but, the frame was a big outlay ($375), and now there is an additional $220 for the fork. This adds up to what I origionally paid for the Trek and I am bikeless for the weekend.

Sorry for whining, but I feel better.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate it when that happens. You plan an upgrade, think you have the parts, then whammo, it won't fit. I know you'll laugh at this, but its worth sharing with you all. When I was just getting into mountain biking, I decided to change my Nishiki rigid fork to a suspension fork. I went on line and picked up an inexpensive Suntour fork (only $35 with shipping). Well, I took off the original fork and connected the brakes and cable to the new fork. No problem, why was everyone making such a big deal about this conversion! I did it in less than an hour. Fortunately, I tested the bike before our gang went to the trail. The first time I squeezed the cantilever brake handle, instead of the bike stopping, the nose of the bike dove as the fork compressed and the brakes waited for the compression to bottom out before engaging, which never happened. My bike now had a great gimmick, like a low rider, it would bob up an down with the brake lever, but wouldn't stop. I quickly realized all the old suspension forks had a horseshoe shaped component that held the cable housing, preventing compression of the fork. DUH! Eventually I fixed it with a homemade clamp. Hope you enjoyed that one.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed..........

Thanks. I needed that. Too bad we are having such a great weather weekend here in Columbia, SC.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    Since I am working a night shift I stopped at the shop to see how the transfer of parts from my Trek 1200 to the Soma was going only to be told that my stock fork steer tube was too short and I had to order a new fork.

In the overall scheme of things this is about as trivial as it gets, but, the frame was a big outlay ($375), and now there is an additional $220 for the fork. This adds up to what I origionally paid for the Trek and I am bikeless for the weekend.

Sorry for whining, but I feel better.

Tranferred a fork from one bike to another to find the same problem. All I did was to get the stem extension that is used to convert from threaded to threadless forks. Cost about $20 and it does work. Has been on the Bianchi for 5 years and no problems at all.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed.........

stapfam,

Really wish I had known that. It would have saved me $250 and I might be riding now. Too bad the lbs didn't mention it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez... Why not go back to the LBS with Stapfam's idea? They should be able to return the part, and even if they charge you a fee, you'd still save some money.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed.........

stapfam,

Good point. Is there a name for the part you mentioned?
    Last edited by LastPlace; 07-08-06 at 05:58 PM.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Geez... Why not go back to the LBS with Stapfam's idea? They should be able to return the part, and even if they charge you a fee, you'd still save some money.
    There's a big difference between working on your own bike and working on a bike for somebody else. Using a fork extender for a use other than intended definitely falls into that gulf. I don't know if it's safe or not. I might try it on my own bike but I'd never do it on a customer bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed..........

Thanks, but today it became a moot point. I checked with the two shops that are open on Sunday and neither had the part. Each offered to order it but it might not get here any quicker than the new fork so I will just wait on that.
    Thanks again.