Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Fuji, Jamis or Orbea? (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/209794-fuji-jamis-orbea.html)

NOS88 07-10-06 09:55 AM

Fuji, Jamis or Orbea?

A good friend asked for an opinion about which of these three bikes he should get as his next bike. He's 56 yrs. old, maybe 130 lbs., and rides about 4000 miles a year. He's not a gear masher and keeps a pretty good spin going. Right now he's on a early 1990's C-Dale with Shimano 105. He's looking at three bikes, and the price difference between the three is less than $100. All three are available in the right size for him. So, any of you have any knowledge of or experience with these bikes? I've been on the web sites for each company and have looked over the specs. I think any of the three would work for him, but thought I'd check to see if you all have specific information/experience that may help him make a decision. Oh, one other thing. He's kind of set of these three as the pool from which he'll make his choice.... apparently he's been able to get very good price quotes on these three and he like the LBS's that carry them. Any insight is appreciated.

1. Fuji Roubaix Pro (the Alum model, not the steel one)
2. Jamis Venture Elite
3. Orbea Volata

Blackberry 07-10-06 10:12 AM

I don't know anything about anything--but the Zues/Campy bits on the Orbea gives it a unique touch that would have me leaning in that direction (all other things being relatively equal).

Big Paulie 07-10-06 11:05 AM

I bought a Jamis Aurora about 8 years ago, an entry level road bike, and was very happy with the quality/price ratio. I test rode a Ventura about 2 years ago, and had the same impression.

Baggsy 07-10-06 12:20 PM

Paulie...I have the Aurora too...mines a 2003. I love the old beast, and enjoy every minute on it. I saw a couple old ones that have the down-tube shifters...does yours have that?

Sco++ 07-10-06 05:00 PM

For what it's worth;

A racer colleague of mine sold a two year old s-works to buy an Orbea frame for races this season...

This guy is only in his early 30s and is way, way serious about bike racing.

scottogo 07-10-06 05:44 PM

http://fujibikes.com/2006/bikes.asp?id=248
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...ura_elite.html
http://www.orbea-usa.com/fly.aspx?mI...duct&taxId=243

Grampy™ 07-10-06 05:51 PM

I wish I had an Orbea dealer here in town.... wait, I'm so glad I don't have an Orbea dealer in town. (I finally got my card back to $0 :D )

sch 07-12-06 06:42 AM

Orbea is definitely the sexiest of the group, beautifully painted, very well built and specced, with a generally high reputation. My experience with Shimano (not good in the brifter area) also would push me towards a Campy equipped bike. Fuji seems the value price leader. Their bikes always seem priced 10% below what you expect for the specs, or put another way always seem to be on sale for last yrs price. Bicycling mag mentioned one recently that weighed 16.5# and was in the $2300 range (past month or two). No comment on Jamis, but they are always well spoken of.

CourageSuitcase 07-28-06 02:14 PM

Funny, those are three of the five bikes on my shortlist (along with Spec. Allez Elite and Giant OCR 1). I'm getting ready to come back to a roady after a decade of fat-tire riding. I'm hoping to ride them tomorrow... I'd be interested to hear what your friend picks.

NOS88 07-28-06 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CourageSuitcase
Funny, those are three of the five bikes on my shortlist (along with Spec. Allez Elite and Giant OCR 1). I'm getting ready to come back to a roady after a decade of fat-tire riding. I'm hoping to ride them tomorrow... I'd be interested to hear what your friend picks.

So far he's ridden the Fuji and Orbea. He really likes both of them. I understand he's going to ride the Jamis sometime next week. As of right now, he's leaning (based on the level of excitement when he talks about them) toward the Orbea.

4suns 07-28-06 07:15 PM

hey I kove my Specialized Roubaix Comp . Fast ,Smooth , and comfortable.Worth considering ?

jppe 07-28-06 07:21 PM

I'm not that familiar with all the Orbea models and in particular the one you mentioned- but around here they seem to be the bike of choice this year. I probably know 5-7 riders around here that have bought one since the first of the year and they all rave about them. Heck if I'd spent what they did on their's I'd probably rave about mine as well!

CourageSuitcase 07-29-06 04:12 PM

My $.02

I did end up riding a bunch today. I liked the Jamis the best of the bunch. I really wanted to like the Orbea, but I found it really harsh on bumps (although correspondingly lively to ride.) I rode the Roubaix (not the Pro) and wasn't crazy about the Tiagra shifting, though the bike felt nice and really light. The Jamis seemed to be the best of all worlds, plus that was the best LBS experience which of course means a lot.

I also rode OCR 1, Trek 1500 and Spec Allez Elite. I really didn't want to like the Trek, but it was probably #2 of the group. Smooth and rock solid.

I'll probably order the Jamis on Monday.

kk4df 07-29-06 05:51 PM

You mentioned the Jamis Venture Elite, but have you also ridden the Jamis Quest? If you like the ride on the Venture, I think you'd find the Quest an excellent ride as well. The Quest is steel, but as some say "steel is real." I recently bought the Jamis Quest, and the ride is really sweet.

NOS88 07-30-06 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4suns
hey I kove my Specialized Roubaix Comp . Fast ,Smooth , and comfortable.Worth considering ?

They are great bikes. I love my Specialized Roubaix Pro, but the Comp is about a grand more than the 3 bikes he's looking at.

NOS88 07-30-06 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kk4df
You mentioned the Jamis Venture Elite, but have you also ridden the Jamis Quest? If you like the ride on the Venture, I think you'd find the Quest an excellent ride as well. The Quest is steel, but as some say "steel is real." I recently bought the Jamis Quest, and the ride is really sweet.

My buddy currently has several high end steel bikes, and is looking for something with alum and carbon. In fact, every now and then he & I will pull out our favorite steel rides just to remember the unique feel of steel.

cheeseflavor 07-30-06 01:08 PM

I know next to nothing about the three bikes mentioned, but I do know that the Jamis is a popular bike in the local bike club here. One of the ride leaders logs thousands of miles each year on his Jamis, is 68 years old, and rides like a teenager.

So, I guess that could be a recommendation for that Jamis :)

Steve