Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuji, Jamis or Orbea?

A good friend asked for an opinion about which of these three bikes he should get as his next bike. He's 56 yrs. old, maybe 130 lbs., and rides about 4000 miles a year. He's not a gear masher and keeps a pretty good spin going. Right now he's on a early 1990's C-Dale with Shimano 105. He's looking at three bikes, and the price difference between the three is less than $100. All three are available in the right size for him. So, any of you have any knowledge of or experience with these bikes? I've been on the web sites for each company and have looked over the specs. I think any of the three would work for him, but thought I'd check to see if you all have specific information/experience that may help him make a decision. Oh, one other thing. He's kind of set of these three as the pool from which he'll make his choice.... apparently he's been able to get very good price quotes on these three and he like the LBS's that carry them. Any insight is appreciated.

1. Fuji Roubaix Pro (the Alum model, not the steel one)
    2. Jamis Venture Elite
    3. Orbea Volata
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anything about anything--but the Zues/Campy bits on the Orbea gives it a unique touch that would have me leaning in that direction (all other things being relatively equal).
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Jamis Aurora about 8 years ago, an entry level road bike, and was very happy with the quality/price ratio. I test rode a Ventura about 2 years ago, and had the same impression.

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Paulie...I have the Aurora too...mines a 2003. I love the old beast, and enjoy every minute on it. I saw a couple old ones that have the down-tube shifters...does yours have that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth;

A racer colleague of mine sold a two year old s-works to buy an Orbea frame for races this season...

This guy is only in his early 30s and is way, way serious about bike racing.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had an Orbea dealer here in town.... wait, I'm so glad I don't have an Orbea dealer in town. (I finally got my card back to $0 )
    Carpe who?

sch
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orbea is definitely the sexiest of the group, beautifully painted, very well built and specced, with a generally high reputation. My experience with Shimano (not good in the brifter area) also would push me towards a Campy equipped bike. Fuji seems the value price leader. Their bikes always seem priced 10% below what you expect for the specs, or put another way always seem to be on sale for last yrs price. Bicycling mag mentioned one recently that weighed 16.5# and was in the $2300 range (past month or two). No comment on Jamis, but they are always well spoken of.

My Bikes
    Trek 850 (MTB)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, those are three of the five bikes on my shortlist (along with Spec. Allez Elite and Giant OCR 1). I'm getting ready to come back to a roady after a decade of fat-tire riding. I'm hoping to ride them tomorrow... I'd be interested to hear what your friend picks.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CourageSuitcase
    Funny, those are three of the five bikes on my shortlist (along with Spec. Allez Elite and Giant OCR 1). I'm getting ready to come back to a roady after a decade of fat-tire riding. I'm hoping to ride them tomorrow... I'd be interested to hear what your friend picks.

So far he's ridden the Fuji and Orbea. He really likes both of them. I understand he's going to ride the Jamis sometime next week. As of right now, he's leaning (based on the level of excitement when he talks about them) toward the Orbea.

My Bikes
    specialized roubaix comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey I kove my Specialized Roubaix Comp . Fast ,Smooth , and comfortable.Worth considering ?

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not that familiar with all the Orbea models and in particular the one you mentioned- but around here they seem to be the bike of choice this year. I probably know 5-7 riders around here that have bought one since the first of the year and they all rave about them. Heck if I'd spent what they did on their's I'd probably rave about mine as well!

My Bikes
    Trek 850 (MTB)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My $.02

I did end up riding a bunch today. I liked the Jamis the best of the bunch. I really wanted to like the Orbea, but I found it really harsh on bumps (although correspondingly lively to ride.) I rode the Roubaix (not the Pro) and wasn't crazy about the Tiagra shifting, though the bike felt nice and really light. The Jamis seemed to be the best of all worlds, plus that was the best LBS experience which of course means a lot.

I also rode OCR 1, Trek 1500 and Spec Allez Elite. I really didn't want to like the Trek, but it was probably #2 of the group. Smooth and rock solid.

I'll probably order the Jamis on Monday.

My Bikes
    Bottecchia CF frame and fork, Ultegra 6603 crank and FD, DuraAce RD, Easton Vista wheels, Brooks B-17 saddle, Shimano 105 brakes, Michelin Pro2 Race tires
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mentioned the Jamis Venture Elite, but have you also ridden the Jamis Quest? If you like the ride on the Venture, I think you'd find the Quest an excellent ride as well. The Quest is steel, but as some say "steel is real." I recently bought the Jamis Quest, and the ride is really sweet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4suns
    hey I kove my Specialized Roubaix Comp . Fast ,Smooth , and comfortable.Worth considering ?

They are great bikes. I love my Specialized Roubaix Pro, but the Comp is about a grand more than the 3 bikes he's looking at.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4df
    You mentioned the Jamis Venture Elite, but have you also ridden the Jamis Quest? If you like the ride on the Venture, I think you'd find the Quest an excellent ride as well. The Quest is steel, but as some say "steel is real." I recently bought the Jamis Quest, and the ride is really sweet.

My buddy currently has several high end steel bikes, and is looking for something with alum and carbon. In fact, every now and then he & I will pull out our favorite steel rides just to remember the unique feel of steel.

Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know next to nothing about the three bikes mentioned, but I do know that the Jamis is a popular bike in the local bike club here. One of the ride leaders logs thousands of miles each year on his Jamis, is 68 years old, and rides like a teenager.

So, I guess that could be a recommendation for that Jamis

Steve