Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bone spur - Therapy or Surgery?

So I've got a bone spur on my foot directly rubbing on my Achilles tendon. It is currently so sore I can't walk, much less bicycle. The doctor says options are physical therapy or surgery. For a short-term fix, he injected the heel with a combination of lidocane & steroids. The injection hasn't seemed to help...

In any case, my question is: Is every case of bone spurs unique so that others' experiences aren't pretinent, or is a bone spur a bone spur, and if so, what is your experience? More to the point, what alternative is prudent in my case?

Since I currently can't walk, jog, or bicycle, I'm just sitting around & deteriorating. I can't schedule a physical therapy appointment for over a week, and I'm just frustrated.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a condition that was called a "heel spur" but--more accurately-- is known as plantar fasciitis. I'm no doctor, and even if I were, making any kind of long-distance diagnosis would be a very bad idea. However, If plantar fasciitis is your situation, the following info may help.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...11/ai_n8997767

A key characteristic to this condition is that it's worse in the morning when you get out of bed. The first few steps are excrusiating. I got a pair of good-quality rubber sandals, which I slipped on the first thing in the morning and even took a shower in.

Speaking for myself, I would say the prudent thing is to try physical therapy first. Good luck!!! And keep us posted.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really can't offer any advice but will offer my sympathies towards the pain and frustration. That is some really tough luck........

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    So I've got a bone spur on my foot directly rubbing on my Achilles tendon. ...
    What are your symptoms? I have (temporarily, I hope) given up jogging because of pain in and around my Achilles' tendon and ankle, but I am still able to walk at 5mph / 8kph and to bicycle. Please let us know which treatment(s) you try and post your progress periodically. Best wishes for a rapid and uneventful recovery.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, so sorry!

I hate vegetating.

Is it possible to do some upper body exercises so you don't feel so "deteriorating?" I.e., bench presses, triceps pull downs, other exercises that don't use your feet? Or, resistance bands? Look upon this as an opportunity to develop some other areas of your body.

Here is a great web site for resistance exercises.

http://www.exrx.net/

You can also do upper body cardio, such as:

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/Exercises/ArmErgometer.html
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    ...Is it possible to do some upper body exercises so you don't feel so "deteriorating?"...
    "Plan-B" is to hie myself to the nearest swimming pool on a daily basis. I'll have more info after the "Pysical Terapis" (that's Cajun for "physical therapist") has a look at the foot & leg. Sympathy accepted with appreciation - now it's up to me to overcome the problem...

My Bikes
    04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be a runner, probably 10-15 years ago, until I started having trouble with plantar fasciitis in my left heel. Dropped the running, started biking and then swimming, and got really good inserts for my shoes, haven't had much trouble with it since. A doctor-friend of mine told me to try EVERYTHING before letting anyone operate on your foot. He'd seen surgery cause more problems than were experienced from the original condition.

just my $.02.