Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid that I am going to get smoked on Tuesday

Tuesday evening (July 18th) I am going out for a ride with someone who will be one of my new graduate students in the Fall. Normally I wouldn't sweat this, but this guy is not your typical rider. Even though he claims that he is WAY out of shape and 30 pounds too heavy I am very wary. In 2003 he was living in Australia and was asked by Robbie McEwen (yes, the Green Jersey wearing Robbie McEwen) to be on a four man team for a stage race in the Brisbane area. I'm thinking that I am getting in WAY over my head on this one. I know that he has been riding because I have run into him on the road (going the opposite way) twice in the last few weeks. He has been saying things like "I'm really out of shape and I'm afraid you will leave me in the dust" but I'm thinking that is like the guys that go into the weight room claiming that they haven't lifted in years and then do reps on the highest weight on the machine. If you don't hear from me next Wednesday please notify my next of kin that I am probably dead on the side of the road.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang! When I saw the title of this thread and the poster I got all excited! Smoked mollusk--seafood! One of my favorite topics!

Then I read the thread. Nothing about shrimp on the barbie, no smoked oysters, no cracked crab, no local lagers, no sandy beaches, nothing, nada. I'm so disappointed.

But I feel better knowing that yer gonna' get yer butt kicked.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think you'll get smoked by a guy who rode on a four man team with Robbie McEwen? Sounds about right to me. But what the hell; enjoy the ride and the chance to talk with someone who's actually ridden with McEwen.... assuming you have enough breath to talk.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ancient Chinese philospher says: "Never let another cyclist determine the quality of your ride."

If he wants to hammer and you can't hang, give a cheerful wave and say, "See ya later." If you can (or want to) handle his speed, maybe you'll have found find a good riding partner.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that scene in "Breaking Away" where the Italian Europro sticks his pump in Dave Stoller's spokes?
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Remember that scene in "Breaking Away" where the Italian Europro sticks his pump in Dave Stoller's spokes?
    Yes, I remember. The problem is that in my mid I will always be Dave and never the Italian pros. So are you saying that I should look out for a frame pump being stuck into my front wheel?
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Mollusk, they say the best way to get faster is to ride with faster riders, so................all of BF50Plus is behind you (way,way behind you) and we know you'll do us proud.

Just remember, nobody likes a wheelsucker so take your pulls at the front, too.

You know, we're all enjoying this, here in our cushy pc chairs, and can't wait for your post-ride report.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'd expect to get smoked also. I don't think I'd let it bother me. Ride your ride. I think it would be great to say I rode with and was beaten by one of McEwen's team mates. Even greater if you could say you hung with or out performed McEwen's former team mate.

According to your post he was asked by McEwen to be on a four man team. Are you sure the four man tea, included McEwen? Perhaps McEwen put a 4 man amateur team together.
    Just Peddlin' Around

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somewhere near the start of the ride- ask him if it is his wheel that has the wobble or the tyre not seated properly- later on mention that the wobbles getting bigger. Won't slow him much- but might take the edge off his performance.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    Are you sure the four man tea, included McEwen? Perhaps McEwen put a 4 man amateur team together.
    Maybe that was it--he was part of a four man TEA that McEwen put together. You know, some nice tea an' biscuit at Macs mum's, and a nice chat an' all. Nothing at all to worry about.

Naw.

Sorry webist, it was too good to pass up
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX LeMond Alpe d'Huez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stick a dead squirrel in your pocket, and just before you get dropped throw it in the guys spokes. Laugh as you go by. Oh, I forgot this is the 50+ forum. Can't do that here.

Make your pedals scream for mercy! If he's anybody worth knowing he'll see the effort and appreciate you as a friend. A slow friend, but a friend none the less. Have a great ride!
    Trek 7.3 FX, then I got real,
    2006 LeMond Alpe d'Huez.
    But then that got stolen, so I upgraded to a
    2006 LeMond Chambery... WOW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Somewhere near the start of the ride- ask him if it is his wheel that has the wobble or the tyre not seated properly- later on mention that the wobbles getting bigger. Won't slow him much- but might take the edge off his performance.
    When I was in high school, we used to drive by a car, roll our windows down, and yell out very seriously, "Your wheels are turning" as if something awful was wrong with their car. Confused the heck out of the driver, who would stop and check over their car.

Perhaps you could yell out something like - "Your pedals are clipped" or something similar!
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-13-06 at 06:26 AM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kick his Aussie arse!!

Then run......
    Carpe who?

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as a new grad student...

If he's going to be under your direction for the next several years, this ride could be the start of something really good. If he smokes you this time, just remember old age & treachery wins out over youth and vigor in the long run and that you'll get the chance to extract your lb. of flesh in the coming years.

If he's smart, he'll respond to your riding style and not try to show off - if I were in his position, I don't think I'd try to pull any real ego-trippin' 'leave the ol' guy in the dust' stunts. If he does then you can consider where his research focus may be headed over the next several years...

Who knows? He may be riding for the fun of it & is delighted that you are into cycling just like he is and the competition will be friendly and long-term.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll bet he stays with you.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capejohn
    I'll bet he stays with you.

All joking aside... +1 to this.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a pretty good rider, but one that you can stay with as long as you need to.

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So want to know how this goes. There have been enough suggestions, I have nothing to add. This thread just pure tickled my funny bone.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your post reminds me of this guy I know in Michigan. I call him Mike the plumber.
    Like me, he spends his evenings on this park road biking.
    His Standard Operating Procedure is to say that he is ill, got injured or has not been biking. He then stays on your wheel until he thinks the time is right and then buzzes by at very high cadence and speed.
    Needless to say, he is running out of friends.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy is aware that as a FiftyPlusser, you are a Titan of Cycling....certainly in your age group. Can't imagine anyone other than a jerk blowing off somebody whose top-end HR might be 30 or 40 beats below his own. Especially if he's an experienced cyclist. There are all kinds of rides, everything from take no prisoners to a low gear "bike walk". I've even heard of social rides where people discuss politics, etc. while tooling along at 16mph and come back refreshed and content.

No need to make every ride a test of worthiness, skill, toughness, cyclomachismo.

You two might just have fun and begin a productive relationship and lay the foundation for other rides.

My Bikes
    Bianchi crossbike; LeMond Victoire; Trek 820; Burley Duet
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, he's going to be your grad student and you're worried? If he starts to drop you, instead of sticking a pump in his spokes, just start working the words "orals," "defense" "research grants" "assistantship," "publications" or whatever is appropraite to your discipline into the conversation. If he's smart enough to be a grad student, you'll have no worries.