Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Luddite saved by Ergo

Put Ergo Veloce shifters (now I wish I'd gotten Chorus) on the Romulus. Never really used any form of indexing before--certainly not STI/Ergo. I'm lovin' life out there. Shifting out of the saddle is like so totally cool. I love the thumb triggers on the Ergo and the nice, fat hoods give a great grip. I'd put several miles in using a friend's Ultegra STI, but I prefer the feel and action of the Ergos. The Jtek Shiftmate, which mates Campy shifters to otherwise Shimano drivetrain was easy to set up and works as described.

I'll keep my classic bike with Mavic retrofriction shifters just because I like 'em, feel a certain snobbishness/shifting supplesse using them, and-- they work so smoothly.

I've used Campy bits before (pedals, Record dt shifters, etc.) but not really bought into the Campy thing. When I bought the cable set at the LBS I innocently asked the clerk if they were pre-stretched. He looked at me with about as much gravity as on the planet Jupiter and said, "These are Campy cables. They don't stretch." All I could do was mumble something like, "Yes. Of course. Campy. Don't stretch."

Anyway, welcome to modernity, CrossChain. I may get a dvd player next.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting. Lately I've been fantasizing about going to Campanolo with ergo shifters. (I use Shimano indexed down tube shifers now, which I am happy with.)

But before I do that, I have to fantasize about being able to pay for said Campagnolo gear!
    Last edited by Big Paulie; 07-13-06 at 12:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Paulie
    Very interesting. Lately I've been fantasizing about going to Campanolo with ergo shifters. (I use Shimano indexed down tube shifers now, which I am happy with.)

But before I do that, I have to fantasize about being able to pay for said Campagnolo gear!
    Behold the magic word "e-Bay".............and the doors of your budget slowly open.

I did get the cable set from my LBS-- it not being on eBay at the time. They're nice people and don't mind me hanging around. I figure when I retire they'll let me sweep out the place, a sort of bikie Bo Jangles figure.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tulio Campagnolo and I share the same birthday, and my heritage is Italian. Those two compelling factors have never quite been enough to send me over the edge. But if Crosschain is going Campy, I know it's only a matter of time before I'm trying to explain to the wife why I need another bike.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campag Ergo is a good choice for Luddites. I like them because they are so instinctive. If you want the chain to go to the right, you move the lever to the right. If you want to move the chain to the left, you move the lever to the left. Way simpler than trying to remember "big cog, big lever." I find I have trouble with this.

Also, the chain moves when you move the lever. I could never understand why anyone would design a system where the chain moves when you release the lever. Also, you can downshift 3 cogs or upshift the entire cassette on the rear with one lever movement.

Also, if you decide you want to use your left Mavic retro lever to shift the front, you can actually just remove the shift mechanism from your left Ergo lever. It's not difficult at all (you can find he instructions on most Campag sites), and you're left with matching levers (instead of having to buy another set of levers). My fixed gear bike uses Ergo levers with the innards removed because I really like the feel of the Ergo levers (and I went from 9 sp to 10 & had an extra set of levers).

I wouldn't worry about not getting the Chorus. Chorus is last year's Record, and Centaur is last year's Chorus. So I imagine Veloce is 3- or 4-year-old Record stuff. The 2004 10sp Centaur stuff on my cf Trek works better than the late-80's Record 8sp stuff on my tandem.

- L.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dear Blackberry above,
    La Bella Vita !! I would be glad to write your wife a letter outlining your need to merge your second passion (she, of course, being your first) with your primal heritage italiano...as evoked by Campy parts.

I may have to throw in how you promise to paint the house, take her to Bransom to catch Frankie Avalon, or something. How does she feel about your hangin' with the boys over at BF?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I long for the day when I half way understand what any of this means...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
    Also, if you decide you want to use your left Mavic retro lever to shift the front, you can actually just remove the shift mechanism from your left Ergo lever.- L.
    Interesting idea. No matter what indexing system, front shifts seem simply more efficient/precise on the dt or bar-end w/o the complication of having detentes. Riding rollers with my STI buddy is a chorus (no pun intended) of clicks as his hands butterfly over his levers getting all selected & aligned.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    I long for the day when I half way understand what any of this means...
    +1
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Interesting idea. No matter what indexing system, front shifts seem simply more efficient/precise on the dt or bar-end w/o the complication of having detentes. Riding rollers with my STI buddy is a chorus (no pun intended) of clicks as his hands butterfly over his levers getting all selected & aligned.
    My commute bike uses an indexed bar-end shifter for the rder, and a non-indexed DT shifter for the fder - I really like that combination. My faster bike is a Chorus drivetrain, and for ease of shifting, and comfort on the hoods-it is wonderfull!