Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-13-06, 09:44 PM   #1
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
whats wrong?

I think I must be sick. I went to 4, yes 4, bike shops today and not only didn't buy anything, I didn't see anything that I wanted to buy! So I just went home jumped on my trusty old c-dale and went for a ride.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 09:49 PM   #2
mgkaplan

Bikes:
I do the same thing - regularly. Feel good about it. It is a positive addiction and a great obsession.
mgkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 10:03 PM   #3
dauphin

Bikes:
I feel so lucky. A brand new bike shop just opened in my town and I have struck up an acquaintance with the owner and his wife. We are already talking about cross promoting our businesses. I have a feeling this will be a cool way to hang out in his shop and ask my "dumb" newbie questions! I took one of the Bianchi Giro's out for a test ride today. That made my day!
Old 07-13-06, 10:06 PM   #4
CrossChain

Bikes:
I find a buy more stuff, or fantasize/consider buying more stuff, during cold winter months when I ride less. Once back out on the road, I don't feel quite the need. Maybe buying is a surrogate for riding for some of us.
CrossChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 10:08 PM   #5
CrossChain

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphin
I feel so lucky. A brand new bike shop just opened in my town and I have struck up an acquaintance with the owner and his wife. We are already talking about cross promoting our businesses. I have a feeling this will be a cool way to hang out in his shop and ask my "dumb" newbie questions! I took one of the Bianchi Giro's out for a test ride today. That made my day!
Dauphin, are you doping off. Shouldn't you be out climbing some mountain or other?
Old 07-13-06, 10:21 PM   #6
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck
I think I must be sick. I went to 4, yes 4, bike shops today and not only didn't buy anything, I didn't see anything that I wanted to buy! So I just went home jumped on my trusty old c-dale and went for a ride.

Lessee, you checked out some bike stuff and went for a bike ride. So far so good. Now, what is your problem?
Old 07-13-06, 10:40 PM   #7
dauphin

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Dauphin, are you doping off. Shouldn't you be out climbing some mountain or other?
Well it did get dark!

Tomorrow at 7am...we go up Iowa Hill...again...hopefully with improved results!
Old 07-13-06, 11:48 PM   #8
CrossChain

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphin
Tomorrow at 7am...we go up Iowa Hill...again...hopefully with improved results!
The married couple that ascends together-- blends together.
Old 07-14-06, 05:56 AM   #9
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I dropped by my closest LBS as well. I ordered a Dura Ace Bottom Bracket to go with the 10 speed crank I had taken off Miss Lightweight-I didn't realize the BB on the 10 speed was different than 9 speed but I should have guessed..... It will give me a weekend project to convert the Madone to 10 speed which will also require moving a shifter from the Madone to Miss Lightweight. I also checked out road bikes for my 21 yr old daughter who is getting more and more interested in riding.

The current Giant model with the Ultegra components looks like a pretty good deal-I always get confused if it's the OCR1 or one of the others. Interestingly it's the same model I bought my wife a couple years ago....I was hoping to find something with carbon chain stays and a touch lighter but that seems to add another $300-$500.

Now I only need to pick up some Dura Ace brakes for the Madone........or another options is to get some Zero Gravity brakes for Miss Lightweight and move the Dura Ace brakes to the Madone. And there's the bars on the Madone. And I've also been shopping for Zipp wheels.........

I'm closer to needing the 12 step program than I thought!!!
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 07:17 AM   #10
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck

I don't think you're sick. I look at other women and usually don't see anything I want. So, I go home to my wife. Your situation seems very similar to me. Looking never hurts. Although my wife doesn't like it when I wear sunglasses with a mirror finish. She says she can't see where I'm looking. Hhhmmm, maybe I need to rethink this. Does your C-dale know where you were?
Old 07-14-06, 03:32 PM   #11
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rck
You must be looking at the wrong shops. Go out and look some more.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 04:04 PM   #12
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
It must be great to have enough cash to be able to feel guilty about not leaving some of it at the lbs. I have to ride my bikes and gear until it is a safety hazard then I get something. When I do have an ample sufficiency of money I get something really good that will last a long, long time. Like my Bruce Gordon touring bike.
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 09:20 PM   #13
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
[QUOTE=ken cummings]It must be great to have enough cash to be able to feel guilty about not leaving some of it at the lbs...
Ken, I'm a recovering Catholic-I enjoy the guilt. To NOSS88-I never tell my c-dale where I've been, only where we're going.
rck is offline   Reply With Quote