Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding soon after epidural??

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-13-06, 09:13 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

The annual ride across Wisconsin is in 3 weeks and I just had an L4 epidural today. I'm pretty much beside myself about this with a great old friend (and family) coming all the way from Boulder to join our Wisconsin trip this year. I've been laid up in agony for 3+ weeks and am hoping for a miracle recovery.

(Indiana Dunes weekend with old college friends possibly started the agony -- nobody else brought a bike so I went out looking for hills to devour. I'm not sure it was the biking that caused it. Probably dragging the jet ski onto the beach when it broke down...)

Anyway, .. any experience with how quickly and how well epidurals have worked???
Old 07-14-06, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Holy, crap. Sometimes I can't believe the hard core nature of the folks on this fourm. The pain was so bad you had an epidural and you're worried about an upcomming ride. Wow. I don't know much about epidurals, but my hats off to you for even thinking the thoughts you're thinking.
Old 07-14-06, 05:48 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Understand how you feel dbg. I do great with my recumbent as long as I can ride at least 10 - 20 miles every day or so. That bent is the BEST therapeutic thing I've ever found. So after sitting on my ever fatting behind most of the winter I planned to do a bent ride in Death Valley in Feb. Without riding throughout the winter I had miserable back and leg pain so got an epidural steroid injection like you presumably just had, as a "just in case" measure! Didn't want to go all the way down there and be miserable!
To make a long story short, it takes a few days to take effect, and after a week to ten days it will be having full effect. It's trial and error, though. Works for some people, not for others. Probably works for a month or so as long as you don't abuse it like I did. (and do)
I wouldn't ride the day of the injection, but you won't do any harm afterwards. Hope it works for you!
Old 07-14-06, 05:49 PM
bobkat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the pain anesthesiologists don't like to do more than 2 or 3 a year, but don't quote me on it.
Old 07-15-06, 01:32 PM
dbg
Si Senior

Originally Posted by bobkat
Understand how you feel dbg. I do great with my recumbent as long as I can ride at least 10 - 20 miles every day or so. That bent is the BEST therapeutic thing I've ever found. So after sitting on my ever fatting behind most of the winter I planned to do a bent ride in Death Valley in Feb. Without riding throughout the winter I had miserable back and leg pain so got an epidural steroid injection like you presumably just had, as a "just in case" measure! Didn't want to go all the way down there and be miserable!
To make a long story short, it takes a few days to take effect, and after a week to ten days it will be having full effect. It's trial and error, though. Works for some people, not for others. Probably works for a month or so as long as you don't abuse it like I did. (and do)
I wouldn't ride the day of the injection, but you won't do any harm afterwards. Hope it works for you!
So maybe I'm ready to try bent. Do you have any recommendations? Maybe this could salvage my bike trip. And no one else on this trip rides a bent yet. I'd be breaking new ground. Things might just be looking up after all. Hmmmm.
Old 07-15-06, 01:53 PM
dbg
Si Senior

So can I still use spd clipless on a bent?
Old 07-15-06, 02:37 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
https://spine-health.com/topics/conse...ture/ep01.html
Old 07-15-06, 08:08 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T800, Cannondale ST400, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My last epidural was about three years ago and for me I could ride after about a week pain free.Before I had my epidural I asked some relatives who worked in the hospital who did the best job, both of them came up with the same person and they were right. The guy did a great job of getting rid of my pain. But I'm starting to have some problems with my back again so I just changed out my drop bars for a straight bar in hopes that it helps take away some of the pain. Good luck with the back I know where your're coming from.

Trek 930
1988 Cannondale ST400
Old 07-15-06, 08:40 PM
bobkat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SPD's work fine on a bent. May not work for everybody but I have a long wheelbase bent, with the low BB. (pedals lower than the seat) I have a Burley but there are lots of good models around. I've had some back surgeries and a stroke to boot so can't pedal an upright without getting a lot of back pain. Go try a few. They are slower climbing hills, but maybe a bit faster on the flats and downhills so you tend to yo-yo when you ride with a group of uprights. It all evens out, though, and I think I can do as well as anyone my age and physical contion. Even if I couldn't, bents are about COMFORT, not necessarily speed.
They are a bit tougher to transport because they are long, but there are plenty of good racks available.
Go try one - you never know, someone might lend you one or rent you one for the ride. Good luck in the ride. My wife and I are thinking of doing the Wisc ride next year.
Old 07-18-06, 04:12 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just curious, what Wisconsin ride are you talking about?
Old 07-18-06, 04:16 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dbg, You use different muscles on a bent. It may take a while to get used to climbing hills and starting off.