Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-16-06, 10:29 AM   #26
ronmar1

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me suggest you guys try Stevia. It is an all natural plant derivitive that has no known side effects. I use it all the time and love it. No unpleasant after taste either. You can find it in a health food or organic
food store. 1/4 teaspoon equal one teaspoon of sugar. My wife even uses it in her cooking.

I give it credit for helping me lose 75 lbs and 14 inches in my waist. As a side benifit my blood sugar is now normal. I was a type 2 medicated diabetic.

It's Stevia for me. So far no test results indicating any side effects either!!

Eat to live! Don't live to eat!!!

Ron
ronmar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 11:02 AM   #27
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottogo
We're watching out for your family:

DONALD RUMSFELD AND ASPARTAME
http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexcl...xclusive15.htm
edited
Posted: May 9, 2004

by NWV Staff Writer
2004 NewsWithViews.com

Aspartame is an additive found in diet soft drinks and over 5,000 foods, drugs and medicine. It was approved in 1983 for use in carbonated beverages. However, there may be more sour than sweet when it comes to aspartame.

In reality, aspartame is a drug, not an additive in the sense many people associate with that word. It interacts with other drugs, has a synergistic and additive effect with MSG, and is a chemical hyper-sensitization agent. Dr. John Olney, who founded the field of neuoscience called excitotoxicity, attempted to stop the approval of aspartame with Attorney James Turner back in 1996. The FDA's own toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross told Congress that without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumors and brain cancer and violated the Delaney Amendment which forbids putting anything in food that is known to cause Cancer. Detailed information on this can be found in the Bressler Report (FDA report on Searle).

According to a press release put out by the National Justice League on April 26, 2004, lawsuits were filed in three separate California courts against twelve companies who either produce or use the artificial sweetener aspartame as a sugar substitute in their products: Defendants in the lawsuits include Coca-cola, PepsiCo, Bayer Corp., the Dannon Company, William Wrigley Jr. Company, Walmart, ConAgra Foods, Wyeth, Inc., The NutraSweet Company, and Altria Corp. (parent company of Kraft Foods and Philip Morris).

Dr. Martini recommends that consumers read all labels on any food, medicine or drinks they intend to consume.
I have read many reports like this and at one time tended to believe them. Anyone ever refer to snopes.com, the website that dispells urban myths. Here is a link to this story on aspartane:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

As the old saying goes, believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see. Show me something from the Mayo Clinic, the Clevelind Clinic, or a major university hospital where a conclusive study has been performed and I might become a believer.
edp773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 02:30 PM   #28
megaman
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition
Hmmm. I just started using a Sport drink mix called "Replenish". When riding on hot days(above 85) I've used this stuff. It really seems to help. I've checked a lot of sports drinks and they don't have near the recommended level of sodium. This stuff comes the closest. However, it contains aspartame. I don't like the aftertaste, but I get rid of that by just rinsing my mouth.
I do drink plenty of water on my rides, but I've found that after drinking this stuff I have plenty of energy, and I don't feel "drained". Even in the heat.
So what do you all do?
Old 07-16-06, 03:06 PM   #29
SteveE
Veni, Vidi, Vomiti

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Romani Columbus SL, Soma Doublecross
I'm interested in hearing from the person who responds "Yes" to the thread title.
SteveE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-06, 04:25 PM   #30
Trsnrtr
Nefarious Reprobate

Bikes: Colnago CX, Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveE
I'm interested in hearing from the person who responds "Yes" to the thread title.
I thought the same thing when I first read it.
Old 07-17-06, 10:10 PM   #31
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio
I seem to recall, that when I went to the desert in 98, there were discussions that the diet sodas caused the odd syptoms that returning troops were experiencing. I read an article that suggested the chemicle formula for the diet sodas had been changed as a result of sitting in the 120 + degree temps in the desert. Haven't seen anything on this since. Stopped drinking the stuff for a while, but never noticed anything different after stopping. Might be a good idea to stop drinking the stuff again for good.
Sandwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote