Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aspartame = Death? anyone else experience this?

As a type 2 diabetic I've been using my bikes to control my sugar, but recently I have been having problems with high blood pressure and higher glucose levels...plus a few other problems (ears ringing, slight dizzyness, etc.)

On Wednesday a friend told me that her experience with aspartame gave her the same symptoms, so after 5 cans of diet soda on Wednesday, my evening BP was 154 / 92, glucose was 6.2 (about 118 U.S.)

No aspartame on Thursday,,,evening BP back to 110 / 69, glucose 5.2 (98.8)...same today

everything else seems to be clearing up as well...eyesight is clearer, no more ringing ears)...and in the 2'nd day!

Is it me?...i've heard that some people are more sensitive to certain things, or has anyone else experienced this?

Made a huge difference to my commute today and am looking forward to some sketchy trails this weekend...who knew?

My Bikes
    '84 Peugeot PSV-10, '00 Schwinn Moab 2, '01 Airborne Valkyrie, '04 Surly Cross-Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read a lot of negative things about aspartame. I think it's New Mexico that's trying to ban the stuff, and one or two countries in Europe as well.

Are you sure it was the aspartame that was causing your BP, ears ringing, etc? I use the stuff all the time, and the ringing in my ears has recently gotten worse, so maybe I'll try your route and dump any consumption of it and see what happens...
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known."

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's the only change i've made, but because i'm sugar-free, i used to live on the stuff...diet Jello, diet pop, diet gum...even my fat-free yogurt has it

today, no ringing ears, lower BP, sugar under better control, all because of she got me to look these up on Wednesday

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

http://www.diagnose-me.com/treat/T88789.html

the difference today is incredible!

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was diagnosed with type 2 about 12 years ago and switched to diet drinks. I would drink a 32 ouncer with lunch everyday, sometimes get another in the afternoon to get the caffiene. After about 2 years of this, the retina in my left eye curtained--that is detached from the eye and tore in half. Five surgeries later, a lot of travel to OSHU Casey Eye Institute in Portland, a lot of time on my stomach; the eye has some sight, but remains uncorrectable.

Since there was no damage to the eye, unlike contact sports where detached retinas are fairly common, there was no apparent reason for this to happen. At the advice of my doctors, who had no idea what to say or suggest, I started researching everything I could and wound up focusing on diet and ultimately discovered the aspartame. What I did find--I had to wade through a lot of hype and hysteria on both sides--is that eye damage, specifically retinal damage, is a known issue. Known to some but certainly not known to the general public. Since there's no way of positively telling that aspartame harmed me, I have to make my own assumptions based on what I've researched, but I honestly believe that I lost my eye because of it.

Needless to say, I wont touch the stuff, and I recommend that others stay away from it as well. Because of this, I've become a big believer of knowing what you eat and drink because a lot of the stuff sold on grocery store shelves will hurt you.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked for GD Searle in the 80s which was the company the discovered and got approval for aspartame. Aspartame is made up of two amino acids; aspartic acid and phenyalanine. It was initially mfg by processing seaweed until a synthetic process was developed. Like any food additive there are many groups that claim it causes many different problems. The main known problem is for anyone with phenylketonuria, they cannot process phenylalanine and should not use aspartame. There have been many claims of other problems but I do not believe any of them have been proven and most if not all are ancedotal. Now I worked with the concentrate for years while it was being developed and had no adverse affects and the amount of aspartame in a nutrasweet packet if very small as most of what you see is filler. I have been drinking Crystal Light lemonade by the gallon for years with no visible problems. This of course is my experience and any chemical of any sort can produce adverse reactions in some subset of the population, so if you are concerned stop using it.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That can impact both bp and blood glucose levels..... just a thought....

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im01, did you elimate only aspartane or did you stop drinking 5 cans of diet soda a day?

I use to drink a six pack of diet soda a day before my kidney/pancreas transplant. The transplant center convinced me of the harm of sodas, especially cola, and suggested only drinking one twelve ounce can of clear soda a day.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm01
    . . .
    Is it me?...i've heard that some people are more sensitive to certain things, or has anyone else experienced this?

Made a huge difference to my commute today and am looking forward to some sketchy trails this weekend...who knew?
    I have had several wrap-around migraine headaches right after drinking 1 can of soda sweetened with aspartame. I stopped drinking it and no migraines of that sort.

Years later I took up gum chewing right after a meal as it seemed to help with acid reflux. Started to smaller headaches regularly after chewing gum. I look at the ingredients and what do I see--aspartame. I'm not using the stuff anymore.
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...don't get me started...

I started have symptoms of MS - 3-4 diet sodas a day and aspartame sweetener in my Java...
    that was in my mid 40's
    also started gettin shootin pains down my left side and arm...
    not sure what was in my brain to EVEN think of using that stuff

anyway, within one month of stopping, MS symptons were receding, pains were gone - 2 months and all symptoms were gone... never to reappear to this date.

now its just water, haven't touched ANY soft drinks in 12 years, occasional juice w/water, daily Wine & Java
    happy guy now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fsor
    That can impact both bp and blood glucose levels..... just a thought....
    oops keyboard disfunction

I had meant to ask if there was caffeine in the soft drinks....that can affect bp and b glucose

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by foehn
    I have had several wrap-around migraine headaches right after drinking 1 can of soda sweetened with aspartame. I stopped drinking it and no migraines of that sort.

Years later I took up gum chewing right after a meal as it seemed to help with acid reflux. Started to smaller headaches regularly after chewing gum. I look at the ingredients and what do I see--aspartame. I'm not using the stuff anymore.
    After a long ride- I do get a migraine the next day. On the long rides I take a variety of Foods and I will have to look at them to see what ingredients are in them.

Recently the headaches had been getting worse and I know that my blood pressure has been rising just a bit. Realised what it was and it is the daily aspirin. I have not been taking it. Aspirin thins the blood and will help lower blood presssure.It is not a cure to the problem but it does assist. Now before a ride I take the daily aspirin- and afterwards. I also take an aspirin at the first sign of the migraine and it does not develop. With all the headache pills that abound today and the expensive prices they demand- funny how the most basic of medicines still work just aswell, or better.

Incidentally- Certain foods bring on migraines so I stay away from them, but other foods- Likes Soda's and low sugar foods contain other artificial flavourings and additives that I do not trust. Give me a true original coke anytime, instead of the "Light" version that has the time bomb sitting in it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    After a long ride- I do get a migraine the next day. On the long rides I take a variety of Foods and I will have to look at them to see what ingredients are in them.

Recently the headaches had been getting worse and I know that my blood pressure has been rising just a bit. Realised what it was and it is the daily aspirin. I have not been taking it. Aspirin thins the blood and will help lower blood presssure.It is not a cure to the problem but it does assist. Now before a ride I take the daily aspirin- and afterwards. I also take an aspirin at the first sign of the migraine and it does not develop. With all the headache pills that abound today and the expensive prices they demand- funny how the most basic of medicines still work just aswell, or better.

Incidentally- Certain foods bring on migraines so I stay away from them, but other foods- Likes Soda's and low sugar foods contain other artificial flavourings and additives that I do not trust. Give me a true original coke anytime, instead of the "Light" version that has the time bomb sitting in it.
    I never had a headache like that and the only think I had done different in the cases when I had those headaches was the fact that I had had a can of diet soda with aspartame just before the headache.

As for the gum headaches, I had been wondering why I was getting headaches and just happened to read the ingredients, and what do you know, aspartame was in the ingredients. A small amount, but I don't get headaches since stopped chewing the gum.
    I . . can . . . doooo . . . it

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever anything is developed, there will be certain people who will react differently to it. But it's always tough to sort out the placebo effect from true significant side effects. Ane there's always a lot of hype parroted along about things (like asbestos in sanitary napkins, for example) especially with the internet, nowadays. But until you give millions of doses to millions of people and carefully control and analyze the results, you never know whether a small population of these millions may react in a negative way. Once any negative effect is proven, though, EVERYONE has it and the plaintif's attorneys laugh all the way to the bank. One (but only one) of the reasons drugs are so cotton pickin expensive in this country!
    There is always a risk/beneift equation with anything we ingest. The alternative to say aspartane or any of the other artificial sweeteners, sugar, may cause more negative health impacts from the point of view of a diabetic or someone already overweight or with other health problems. Lets face it, with morbid obissity increasing yearly in both adults and more seriously,kids in USA, why does ANYONE have to drink bottles and bottles of sweet stuff?
    Guess the bottom line that I always told my patients is; eat a well rounded diet, but less of it, excercise more, and drink plenty of water and everything else in moderation. And don't smoke!

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet n low or saccharin for me. I have been using it for 38 plus years without any noticeable negative effects. The amount needed to cause cancer in labratory mice is substantial.

I can have sugar now, but do not like the taste.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The conclusions in this thread remind me of the guy who pulled the wings off of a common housefly and then atordered it to fly. Insead of determining that the housefly needed wings to fly, he concluded the flies use their wings for hearing.

Most, but not all sodas, have a large amount of sodium. Maybe it's the sodium in soda that causes one's blood pressure to elevate or maybe it's the caffeine in soda that causes headaches when one drinks 5-6 diet sodas.

But, like mentioned earlier, if your bogeyman is aspartame, then best that you cut it out.

-Dennis

P.S. I asked both my family doctor and my urologist about aspartame a year or so ago and both said not to worry about it. Of course, neither makes their living posting "studies" on the net, so they may be wrong.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have a mold sensitivity. Citric acid and aspartame are mold byproducts amd both are in diet sodas. Do you have any problems with cheese, chocolate, or chinese food? Unexplained anger outbursts? Lots of root canals? If so, get an allergist to check you for mold sensitivity.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
    I asked both my family doctor and my urologist about aspartame a year or so ago and both said not to worry about it. Of course, neither makes their living posting "studies" on the net, so they may be wrong.
    Wasn't so many years ago that if you asked your doctor he would have recommended filtered cigarettes.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have type 2 and can't do sugar -aspertane used to give me a rash-I switced to sodas with splenda,and use it for a sweetener-end of problem.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by old99
    Wasn't so many years ago that if you asked your doctor he would have recommended filtered cigarettes.
    Though, I understand your point, I trust my doctors more than the net.
    Dennis T

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edp773
    Sweet n low or saccharin for me. I have been using it for 38 plus years without any noticeable negative effects. The amount needed to cause cancer in labratory mice is substantial.

I can have sugar now, but do not like the taste.
    Me too. Saccharin has been around over 100 years and if there is any correlation with morbidity or mortality, they've missed it so far. I guess it's impossible to prove something is safe, so the best research can do for us is prove that it is not unsafe. Only with the newer stuff, nobody can say what the long term effects might be.
    Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't trust sodas. I don't trust refined sugar. I don't trust aspartame. I don't trust trans fats. I guess I'm a dietary spoilsport.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have gout & take medicine for that daily. Since I've started taking the gout medicine, (about three years now), I've noticed that my body retains caffine (in particular) and aspertame (maybe) for much longer than before I began taking the medicine.

If I have ANYTHING with caffine at lunch or after, I'll be awake all night! Aspartame sodas (even without caffine) at supper seem to affect me the same way (?!). I'm slowly doing away with all caffine and aspartame in my diet. Will it improve my health? I can't say, but it WILL let me sleep better.

Just my two cents.

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back 20 or 30 years ago when the dangers of cigarette smoking were just being realized, switching to filtered cigs was reasonalbe advice, especially when dealing with people that you knew would never quit.
    FarHorizon, I'm a bit like you. I used to drink maybe 20 - 30 cups of coffee per day, not even counting all the caffienated drinks. Now I can tolerate one coffee in the morning, but any more and I lay awake all night counting the dots on the ceiling.
    We should all avoid artificial sweeteners, trans fats, cigarettes, caffiene, excess food, excercise 4 hours per day, and while we are at it we should be allowed to go back and pick different parents! AAHH! A perfect world!

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're watching out for your family:

DONALD RUMSFELD AND ASPARTAME
    http://www.newswithviews.com/NWVexcl...xclusive15.htm
    edited
    Posted: May 9, 2004

by NWV Staff Writer
    2004 NewsWithViews.com

Aspartame is an additive found in diet soft drinks and over 5,000 foods, drugs and medicine. It was approved in 1983 for use in carbonated beverages. However, there may be more sour than sweet when it comes to aspartame.

In reality, aspartame is a drug, not an additive in the sense many people associate with that word. It interacts with other drugs, has a synergistic and additive effect with MSG, and is a chemical hyper-sensitization agent. Dr. John Olney, who founded the field of neuoscience called excitotoxicity, attempted to stop the approval of aspartame with Attorney James Turner back in 1996. The FDA's own toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross told Congress that without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumors and brain cancer and violated the Delaney Amendment which forbids putting anything in food that is known to cause Cancer. Detailed information on this can be found in the Bressler Report (FDA report on Searle).

According to the top doctors and researchers on this issue, aspartame causes headache, memory loss, seizures, vision loss, coma and cancer. It worsens or mimics the symptoms of such diseases and conditions as fibromyalgia, MS, lupus, ADD, diabetes, Alzheimer's, chronic fatigue and depression. Further dangers highlighted is that aspartame liberates free methyl alcohol. The resulting chronic methanol poisoning affects the dopamine system of the brain causing addiction. Methanol, or wood alcohol, constitutes one third of the aspartame molecule and is classified as a severe metabolic poison and narcotic.

Dr. Woodrow Monte in the peer reviewed journal, Aspartame: Methanol and the Public Health, wrote: "When diet sodas and soft drinks, sweetened with aspartame, are used to replace fluid loss during exercise and physical exertion in hot climates, the intake of methanol can exceed 250 mg/day or 32 times the Environmental Protection Agency's recommended limit of consumption for this cumulative poison."

Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, MD, author of "Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills," wrote about the relationship between aspartame and macular degeneration, diabetic blindness and glaucoma (all known to result from excitotoxin accumulation in the retina).

The medical text, Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic, by Dr. H. J. Roberts is 1038 pages of symptoms and diseases triggered by this neurotoxin. The claim is made that aspartame has even caused the epidemic of obesity because it makes you crave carbohydrates so you gain weight, and the formaldehyde accumulates in the adipose tissue (fat cells) according to the Trocho Study. Further accusations are that aspartame is also responsible for the epidemic of diabetes as it not only can precipitate diabetes but simulates and aggravates diabetic retinopathy and neuropathy, can cause diabetics to go into convulsions and interacts with insulin.

The effects of aspartame are documented by the FDA's own data. In 1995 the agency was forced, under the Freedom of Information Act, to release a list of ninety-two aspartame symptoms reported by thousands of victims. It appears this is only the tip of the iceberg. H. J. Roberts, MD, published the medical text "Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic" -- 1,000 pages of symptoms and diseases triggered by this neurotoxin including the sordid history of its approval. [See Video "Sweet Misery, a Poisoned World"]

Since its discovery in 1965, controversy has raged over the health risks associated with the sugar substitute. From laboratory testing of the chemical on rats, researchers have discovered that the drug induces brain tumors. On Sept 30, 1980 the Board of Inquiry of the FDA concurred and denied the petition for approval.

In 1981, the newly appointed FDA Commissioner, Arthur Hull Hayes, ignored the negative ruling and approved aspartame for dry goods. As recorded in the Congressional Record of 1985, then CEO of Searle Laboratories Donald Rumsfeld said that he would "call in his markers" to get aspartame approved. Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and a day after taking office appointed Hayes. No FDA Commissioner in the previous sixteen years had allowed aspartame on the market.

Dr. Betty Martini has worked in the medical field for 22 years. She is the founder of Mission Possible International, working with doctors around the world in an effort to remove aspartame from food, drinks and medicine. According to Dr. Martini, aspartame has brought more complaints to the American Food and Drug Administration than any other additive and is responsible for 75% of such complaints to that agency. From 10,000 consumer complaints FDA compiled a list of 92 symptoms, including death.

The history of aspartame and its approval has a political history as well as a scientific one. According to Dr. Martini,

"When Donald Rumsfeld was CEO of Searle, that conglomerate manufactured aspartame. For 16 years the FDA refused to approve it, not only because its not safe but because they wanted the company indicted for fraud. Both U.S. Prosecutors hired on with the defense team and the statute of limitations expired. They were Sam Skinner and William Conlon. Skinner went on to become Secretary of Transportation squelching the cries of the pilots who were now having seizures on this seizure triggering drug, aspartame, and then Chief of Staff under President Bush's father. Some of these people reach high places. Even Supreme Justice Clarence Thomas is a former Monsanto attorney. (Monsanto bought Searle in 1985, and sold it a few years ago). When Ashcroft became Attorney General, Thompson from King and Spalding Attorneys (another former Monsanto attorney) became deputy under Ashcroft. (Attorneys for NutraSweet and Coke).

"However, the FDA still refused to allow NutraSweet on the market. It is a deadly neurotoxic drug masquerading as an additive. It interacts with all antidepressants, L-dopa, Coumadin, hormones, insulin, all cardiac medication, and many others. It also is a chemical hyper sensitization drug so that it interacts with vaccines, other toxins, other unsafe sweeteners like Splenda which has a chlorinated base like DDT and can cause auto immune disease. It has a synergistic and additive effect with MSG. Both being excitotoxins, the aspartic acid in aspartame, and MSG, the glutamate people were found using aspartame as the placebo for MSG studies, even before it was approved. The FDA has known this for a quarter of a century and done nothing even though its against the law. Searle went on to build a NutraSweet factory and had $9 million worth of inventory.

"Donald Rumsfeld was on President Reagan's transition team and the day after he took office he appointed an FDA Commissioner who would approve aspartame. The FDA set up a Board of Inquiry of the best scientists they had to offer who said aspartame is not safe and causes brain tumors, and the petition for approval is hereby revoked. The new FDA Commissioner, Arthur Hull Hayes, over-ruled that Board of Inquiry and then went to work for the PR Agency of the manufacturer, Burson-Marstellar, rumored at $1000.00 a day, and has refused to talk to the press ever since.

"There were three congressional hearings because of the outcry of the people being poisoned. Senator Orrin Hatch refused to allow hearings for a long time. The first hearing was in 1985, and Senator Hatch and others were paid by Monsanto. So the bill by Senator Metzenbaum never got out of committee. This bill would have put a moratorium on aspartame, and had the NIH do independent studies on the problems being seen in the population, interaction with drugs, seizures, what it does to the fetus and even behavioral problems in children. This is due to the depletion of serotonin caused by the phenylalanine in aspartame."

According to a press release put out by the National Justice League on April 26, 2004, lawsuits were filed in three separate California courts against twelve companies who either produce or use the artificial sweetener aspartame as a sugar substitute in their products: Defendants in the lawsuits include Coca-cola, PepsiCo, Bayer Corp., the Dannon Company, William Wrigley Jr. Company, Walmart, ConAgra Foods, Wyeth, Inc., The NutraSweet Company, and Altria Corp. (parent company of Kraft Foods and Philip Morris).

The suits allege that the food companies committed fraud and breach of warranty by marketing products to the public such as diet Coke, diet Pepsi, sugar free gum, Flintstone's vitamins, yogurt (including Yoplait) and children's aspirin with the full knowledge that aspartame, the sweetener in them, is neurotoxic.

Dr. Martini recommends that consumers read all labels on any food, medicine or drinks they intend to consume.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calistoga lime flavored water (fizzy) got the whole family off sodas. Life is just as good without it once you get used to it. bk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast