Thread: Riding shorts

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding shorts

I went for my third ride today and I tried those Liquicell shorts for 10 miles, then I tried the regular padded ones . It's like night and day for me. The regular felt much better to me. Just a little input, thanks George
    George

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not much of a fan for gel shorts. I have one pair that I only wear when none of the others have been laundered yet, and then I take a shorter ride. I suspect that the only reason those shorts are still around is that most everyone must try at least one pair. I'd be surprised if there were a majority or even a significant percentage of riders who really like 'em.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    I'm not much of a fan for gel shorts. I have one pair that I only wear when none of the others have been laundered yet, and then I take a shorter ride. I suspect that the only reason those shorts are still around is that most everyone must try at least one pair. I'd be surprised if there were a majority or even a significant percentage of riders who really like 'em.

Never tried them and I don't think I ever would. Mind you- out of the 6 pairs Of bibs I have- The one pair I use in preference to the others, do have thicker padding than the thin Chamois lining the others have.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife is in charge of clothing in our house. I've gone from the cheapo padded shorts to a $ 75 pair of Pearl Izumi which I thought were great. Then for my b-day she gave me another pair of Pearl Izumi with an excellent padding. Little did I know that they were $ 120 a pair! However, they ARE my favorites and I couldn't have ridden 56 miles today in the others (see "Share Our Rides" posting for today)
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    George-I'm right there with you.

I've found that good chamois with minimal padding works best for me. The thicker padding just seems to bunch up too much under the saddle for me. Unfortunately it seems trial and error are the best way to figure stuff out like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like most others, I bought a pair of padded gel. Ugh! Felt like a full diaper must feel. Lumpy, bunched up, unstable, squishy. Heavy weight quality material that fits firmly and tightly feels supportive while riding...hence, sad to say, some of the more expensive shorts seem to be almost worth the money.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    2002 Litespeed Ultimate.....2003 KHS Flite 800......2002 Jamis Quest
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On fairly long distance rides(80 to 100miles) Assos Bib Shorts are the only shorts I have ever worn that left my bottom feeling like I had not even been on a bike. They arent cheap but just like anything else, you generally get what you pay for regarding quality and purpose.

My Bikes
    Specialize Roubaix Comp Triple, Motobecane Grand Sprint, Trek 7000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    My wife is in charge of clothing in our house. I've gone from the cheapo padded shorts to a $ 75 pair of Pearl Izumi which I thought were great. Then for my b-day she gave me another pair of Pearl Izumi with an excellent padding. Little did I know that they were $ 120 a pair! However, they ARE my favorites and I couldn't have ridden 56 miles today in the others (see "Share Our Rides" posting for today)
    The PI Micro Sensor shorts will spoil you for anything else. I wore my PI Ultra Sensor shorts the other day for the first time in ages & there is no comparison.
    The stable: 05 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple
    98 Trek 7000
    79 Motobecane Grand Sprint

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, do upwrong bikes cause incontinence? All my friends who ride them all wear diapers! Ha!

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    upwrong bikes ?

this is a new term to me...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never tried em...don't intend to.
    So far a padded short (mimimally padded that is) is what I prefer.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkat
    Hey, do upwrong bikes cause incontinence? All my friends who ride them all wear diapers! Ha!

centexwoody, us bent riders call DFs a lot of things and most of the names aren't very glamorous. Unfortunately, what I've saved in padded shorts, I've more than made up for with my trike.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2007 Felt F55, Vintage Univega
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm beginning to think that biking shorts must be some what like saddles---it comes down to what is comfortable to you. I got back on my bike after 15 years at 308 pounds (I'm 6'5) and it took a while to get my butt comfortable. I tried a pair of shorts with a gel chamios---and while it was comfortable on the butt---it chaffed me pretty bad and I don't wear them anymore o long rides. Right now---60 some pounds lighter---my favorite happen to be LiquiCell shorts. They seem to have just the right amount of padding---for me. I rode 63 miles a week ago in them with no problems. Of course I'm on my third saddle in search of that Holy grail.

I'm thinking that as my TITS increase (Easy now---that just means Time In The Saddle) I will find that shorts with less padding may, in fact, be more comfortable. But for now, I'm going to have to be a lot more uncomfortable in the saddle than I am before spending $120 on a pair of shorts---even though I would love to compare the difference. I'll drop some hints for my birthday.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sharing information not making recommendation.
    On short training rides of 25 miles, with brooks saddle, I use no padding. (to toughen up)
    Any distance above that, I use Pearl Izumi top of the line shorts.
    I also get off the saddle every 15 minutes for 1-2 minutes.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megaman

centexwoody, us bent riders call DFs a lot of things and most of the names aren't very glamorous. Unfortunately, what I've saved in padded shorts, I've more than made up for with my trike.
    The first time I read the term "DF" by a bent rider, I honestly thought they meant "DumbF**k." which probably isn't far from what they really think.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big Dog regular department store shorts for rides under about 25 miles.

Performance bibs with just a regular chamois for longer rides. No gel.

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.