Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to Get Away from the Computer?

You be the judge:

Last night, I dreamed that I was at a NASCAR race (which is the last place you'd expect to see me) and I bumped into Digital Gee in the crowd. We had a chummy conversation, none of which I can remember. And then I woke up.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    You be the judge:

Last night, I dreamed that I was at a NASCAR race (which is the last place you'd expect to see me) and I bumped into Digital Gee in the crowd. We had a chummy conversation, none of which I can remember. And then I woke up.
    The comversation was that DG had a cold and could not drive so you were voted in to drive his car in the race.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    The comversation was that DG had a cold and could not drive so you were voted in to drive his car in the race.
    You've been having some strange dreams yourself lately, if I recall!
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Blackberry] Last night, I dreamed that.......

Not a dream, a parallel universe.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You be the judge:

All I can say is last night was a terrible night for me in terms of sleeping. I'd get 30 minutes of sleep, wake up, toss, turn, flip the sweaty pillows, and try again. Went like that all night. Finally switched on the TV about 3:30 hoping for some mind-numbing "entertainment" and all I could find was a NASCAR report and I don't even like NASCAR.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is simple really. Too much exposure to the inner thoughts of one another has caused a mind/personality meld between Blackberry and DeeGee. They are becoming, in essence, the same person. What ramifications this has for Blackberry's marriage we can only speculate. We see an inverse of this phenomenon in the sad but beguiling case of the Diego clan. Essentially one personality with many facets---the Sybil complex of course.

My greatest fear is that eventually we shall all meld here at BF50Plus producing one psycho-entity.....an amorphous lump of life with many inner conflicts constantly warring with itself over STI/Ergo, carbon/titanium, Craigslist/LBS, lawyer tabs, etc. Essentially all noise going nowhere. In fact, there are faint intimations of that even now. Take heed.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You be the judge:

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-15-06 at 03:29 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well at least you folks are sleeping. In the last two weeks I slept 8 hours straight only one night, and that was after having some dope. Usually its 3 to 4 hours at a time.

I lull myself to sleep each night dreaming of cool mornings, my touring bike, and wearing bib tights, long sleeves, and a cycling jacket. I load the panniers with tent, sleeping bag, and cooking stuff and pedal out of town with no particular agenda.

Somtimes I just dream of strange and new pies.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    I lull myself to sleep each night dreaming of cool mornings, my touring bike, and wearing bib tights, long sleeves, and a cycling jacket. I load the panniers with tent, sleeping bag, and cooking stuff and pedal out of town with no particular agenda.

Somtimes I just dream of strange and new pies.
    Thats a nightmare. With all the camping gear I require now, I like my bit of comfort, I doubt that the frame could take it, let alone my legs. Better to get the wife to drive the back up wagon and choose the campsites about 70 miles apart and let her put up the marquee that we now use on our "Roughing it" trips. In deference to DG- I have given up on pies- Has to be the Brie sandwiches with about 4 lbs of rabbit food to go with it.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    today I rode 56 miles (posted under 50+ Share our rides) and couldn't wait to come back and post that I'd ridden my age to this group of digital yahoos whom I've never met except in cyberspace...
    what's wrong with me that one of my biggest motivations comes from you folks?

don't I have a life? YES, I have a life but my CYCLING LIFE is best expressed on this forum. But I certainly haven't started dreaming about any of you yet & when that happens, I'm going to PM Padre Diego for a counseling session...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CentexWoody, could it be because we appreciate your effort and achievement? We understand the pleasure in peeling off those sweaty shorts/jerseys after a solid effort ride, that sense of pleasure (and relief) at the top of a hill, the taste of tepid water in a water bottle, etc.etc...

I got back from a sweaty, hilly 58 (one short of my age) this morning and I was thinking of Dauphin climbing mountains with his wife. What a nice thing, what a nice wife. (I was also thinking of the ice cold glass of Endurox in the fridge.)

Having a "familiar" nice bunch of guys (and girls) reference group is indeed a nice thing!
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, hang in there, Blackberry. Computers are like bikes and pianos - you can never get enough of them, and they have a synergetic effect on the body. Playing the piano builds good forearm musculature and dexterity that serves you well at the computer keyboard that allows you to sign onto this forum that inspires you to ride which inspires you to think great thoughts which, in turn, inspires you to come back to the piano and . . . well you get the picture that keeps my life spinning in circles.

Last evening my son paid us a "visit." He had just finished playing (he's a cellist) some opera gig at Lake George, NY. Today, he caught a train for NYC from which he will fly to Germany to play/record until this September. He is always scheming to promote future engagements and needed eight discs for some press kits complete with label, cover art for the jewel case front and rear, and, of course, the discs themselves.

He handles the other components of his press kits, but dear old dad is in charge of the disc making. Seems he can never have his info ready for me until 10:00 PM, so he and I were up until 3:30 AM finishing everything (I don't complain, really - one not too distant day he'll be too busy or located too afar to spend even those few hours futzing around with me).

I figured the lack of sleep would impact my riding today - I slept only until 7:00 AM.

But, actually, I felt fine. Went out at around 11:00 to run some errands around town (on my bike, of course), stop by the bike store for some spare tubes and a patch kit, then, left from there on an all-urban 40-miler. It was supposed to be in the high 90’s today, but I don’t believe the temperature ever got that high. I felt as though I could have ridden for 200 miles - made a point of riding the stretch where I was right hooked in June - no problems this time.

I returned home around 1:30 – came right to the computer to sign on here and tell you all about my wonder ride – found myself dozing and feeling a little chilled from my workout and wanted to stretch out my legs. Stretched out on the sofa, snuggled under a blanket, fell into a super deep sleep - didn't awake until around 6:00 PM . . . and what do I choose to do this evening???

I'm back at the computer on BF again.

If your "trilogy" would not include a piano, substitute some other activity/pastime of your choice and self-justify the synergetic relationship to your heart's content. I could make a great case for fishing, or photography, or, well, this old brain could go on and on.

I enjoyed this thread, Blackberry. Thanks – and, you dream on, now, y’ hear?

Caruso

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    I was also thinking of the ice cold glass of Endurox in the fridge.
    I shared a case of that stuff with Frank and Dino and Sammy back in '77. We nearly puked. Let me know when they start adding alcohol to the mix...it might help!
    Attached Images Attached Images