Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wore panty hose to dinner tonight

What does this have to do with cycling, you might reasonably ask?

Three days ago, I experienced my first high-speed crash. No significant damage to the bike, and no broken bones. But I picked up a lot of road rash. Both elbows (I picked the gravel out with tweezers), and all across my back. Worst, though, was my left hip. Raw meat about six inches across.

Thursday, I just stayed home and worked over phone lines and the internet in my underwear. Friday I went to work, but the discomfort of a pair of jeans against the bandages was substantial. Interestingly enough, though, riding is fine. The lycra holds everything in place, and the pain is minimal. I did 17 miles the day after the crash, and 35 miles today. No problem.

So this evening the kids are out of the house, and Ms. Raket and I decide to go out for a nice dinner. This is, unfortunately, not the kind of restaurant you can go to in bike shorts, let alone your underwear. So, living with three women as I do, an idea hit me... panty hose! A lycra-like layer to go over the bandages, and to keep me comfy against the friction of the pants I unfortunately had to wear.

Well, my cycling brethren, I'm here to tell you... it worked! For those who must know the details, they were Silken Mist, size B, and they got me through the whole dinner in complete comfort. And, I'm pleased to say, Ms. Raket managed to sit through an entire romantic dinner with a man in panty hose without breaking into hysterics.

So... i f anybody ever tells you that cycling does not lead to completely new and unexpected life experiences, they are definitely wrong!

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raketmensch
    they were Silken Mist, size B
    R-mensch,

You are a dude of the highest order and I'm glad it worked for ya. But this is just too much information for a guy like me.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying real hard not to draw too clear of a mental picture of this.

However, congrats on finding some comfort.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and your hero is Joe Namath?
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote: "For those who must know the details, they were Silken Mist, size B, and they got me through the whole dinner in complete comfort."

please don't tell Webb Diego...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    Quote: "For those who must know the details, they were Silken Mist, size B, and they got me through the whole dinner in complete comfort."

please don't tell Webb Diego...
    +1

As my kids would say, that's just a little TMI!

PS: Glad you're feeling better...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want you to know that I read this post last night before I went to bed. It was bad night. Very restless, very disturbing dreams. Yes, TMI. Thanks Raket. I shall never be able to walk past the pantyhose section of the stores without thinking of you.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait until Webb Diego weighs in on this one...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before this thread gets completely out of hand, I'd like to assure the American people that I'll soon be introducing a constitutional amendment to ban the wearing of pantihose by men. I will tell you what -- this governating is hard work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    It's been over 24 hours since the original post, and I would've written sooner, but I just pulled my head out of a vomit bucket. Silken Mist, Size B? Did you really have to give us the particulars? Couldn't you just post a picture of a Black Hole in outer space, because, Pal, that's the size of the hole in your soul. Where I come from, a Mensch is a fella who isn't such a bad egg. But son, you are a new breed. When I was in Koe-rea, we traded pantyhose to the local gals for "adult favors." But you, you use them to cover a few sctratches, scratches I'm guessing you never had in the first place. Welcome to the fairly club, my friend. You have lots of company in here.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    centexwoody

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in the '70s, before the advent of lycra tights, quite a few racers, on cold days, would wear pantyhose. Heck with shaved legs, who could tell?
    That is until one of the guys crashed, got up, jumped back on the bike and won the race. He took a ribbing about the big runs in his pantyhose!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to road rash, I'd wear almost anything to reduce the discomfort. Recently, a riding buddy did a face plant that took a fair amount of skin off his shoulder and elbow. After cleaning, his family doctor put some kind of superglue stuff on it. It formed a clear, flexible barrier that reduced the pain for him considerably. Then in four of five days, the stuff just peeled off and the rash was healing at a very fast rate. Anyone know what this stuff is?

Just one comment regarding the pantyhose. Anyone who wears lycra shorts and other cycling specific clothes, has a serious problem if he or she has issues with a guy wearing pantyhose. Most of us need to take a long hard look in the mirror when in full gear, before we starting busting on someone who wears pantyhose for any reason.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

boxers or briefs?

Just one comment regarding the pantyhose. Anyone who wears lycra shorts and other cycling specific clothes, has a serious problem if he or she has issues with a guy wearing pantyhose. Most of us need to take a long hard look in the mirror when in full gear, before we starting busting on someone who wears pantyhose for any reason.

I've always been attracted to those wearing panty hose - my question is did you wear boxers or briefs under them?
    centexwoody

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see you're in touch with your feminine side.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's give Raket a break. At least he wore pants for goodness sake. I was waiting to read something MUCH worse but fortunately he rallied and wore something to cover the darn things up.

Let's just hope he doesn't post in the winter where he has found some new thermal leggings to wear our riding and they are the same "Silky" thing. Hummmm....that might be a really bad sign!!

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last time I was into panty hose was in the back seat of my '64 Plymouth Valiant, and they weren't on me!

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raket, for a really good time next time you go out, try wearing the pantyhose on your head and down over your face. THAT sure makes for an interesting evening.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hammer Boy
    Last time I was into panty hose was in the back seat of my '64 Plymouth Valiant, and they weren't on me!
    Raket, for a really good time next time you go out, try wearing the pantyhose on your head and down over your face. THAT sure makes for an interesting evening.

Poor Raket is really getting abused!!! You have to admit we've got some pretty funny posters out there!! I'm just glad noone has asked what color they were........I'd be worried.