Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to get a mirror?

I was talking to a friend of mine this afternoon, she's a cyclist. As is her husband. He's real serious. Builds bikes, used to race, etc. I innocently asked, "Where's Marcel?" "He's out of commission", was her answer. "Oh, yeah. He sprained his ankle, didn't he."

Well, no. That was a couple of weeks ago. This time, he was going down a hill, one he has done many times before, doing about 45, looked back to see where is buddy was, and BAM! he's down. He doesn't remember a thing. Another rider came upon him, unconscious. He was medi-vac-ed out. Broken collar bone, some back injury, maybe broken ribs. Lots of cuts and scrapes. If he had a mirror, he wouldn't have looked back, etc etc etc.

I have read the threads on this forum about mirrors/no mirrors. Because we don't have much traffic here in Quincy, CA, I never really thought I needed a mirror. This has made me re-think it. My LBS is open tomorrow. A little more weight won't hurt.

The bike is OK. A very light Scott he built for his wife. Needs new wheels.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope your friend recovers quickly. Wow, at that speed all it would take is a split second to loose control with terrible consequences.

I got one that mounts to the helmet and is removable. A little time getting used to it and getting it adjusted. It has been worth the time and money (15.95). It is great on the road and MUT. Won't be without one again.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas
    ...I got one that mounts to the helmet and is removable. A little time getting used to it and getting it adjusted. It has been worth the time and money (15.95). It is great on the road and MUT. Won't be without one again.
    Any your make, model, and source would be? You've sold me!

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, a source please. I've tried them and could never find one that was easy to adjust or stayed put. Any advice on GOOD mirrors out there?
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the "Third Eye" mirror and really like it. It took a little work to get it fitted into the helmet but it works well. Yes, you do occassionally have to adjust it. Indeed, I may adjust it several times as I change my riding position. I had never used one until about a year ago. Now I would feel uncomfortable without it.

However this thread, as much as anything, seems to point out to me the inherent risks of seeing how fast gravity can accelerate 20 pounds of aluminum and carbon fiber carrying 200+/- pounds of flesh and bone on two narrow wheels that are inherently unstable when traveling in anything other than a straight line on anything other than a smooth surface.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Yes, a source please. I've tried them and could never find one that was easy to adjust or stayed put. Any advice on GOOD mirrors out there?
    I bought a lot of mirrors. Those cheap plastic ones look good but fall off, wiggle, break, or don't stay put. "Take A Look" mirror is the last mirror I bought is the ONLY mirror I'd ever buy!
    It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.

My Bikes
    2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a picture and a link to REI http://www.rei.com/product/1842331.htm

Best mirror there is!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's better to cycle through life than to drive by it.

My Bikes
    2 many
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for the "Take a look" mirror. much better than all the others. I wear mine on my glasses. It's stready as a rock. I can see the road in front of me and cars behind me at the same time when I need to. I can sweep the area behind me to see where my buddy is just by turning my head. It also works in the drops or sitting up, a bar mirror will not do that. Give a whole week of riding if you don't like it at first, you do have to learn to use it. Once you do you will never go back to riding without it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    None are perfect. I've tried 3. take a look eye glass mirror, helmet mirror and handlebar mirror.
    Currently I use handlebar and helmet mirrors.

eyeglass mirror
    good-- larger images, less fiddling to get rear view
    bad-- doesn't work if left eye is weak, can only adjust view sideways and not up and down

helmet mirror
    good-- decent images, can adjust to fit your riding position
    bad-- dead spots, tend to fiddle a bit with adjustments

bar mirror
    good-- set and forget, wide angle so see all traffice
    bad-- wide angle, hard to judge distances

I presume you don't ride in the winter
    Are deer still a problem up there?
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I was riding with another guy who had a helmet mirror. We were on a narrow RR ROW that has been turned into a 1.0 mile piece of county road with no shoulders. Since it is a straightaway, the local idiots use it to see how fast they can accelerate indefinitely... So anyway we would ride side-by-side then he would drop back and we'd ride single file for a minute or so then he'd come back up alongside. I finally realized he was using a helmet mirror so he could see when cars were coming up behind us.

He said he started riding with one when a Corvette passed him on that 1-mile straightaway at 100+ mph and he didn't hear it until too late. The car 'brushed' him with its momentum but didn't hit him. He's been riding with a mirror since then.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=centexwoody]Yesterday I was riding with another guy who had a helmet mirror. We were on a narrow RR ROW that has been turned into a 1.0 mile piece of county road with no shoulders. Since it is a straightaway, the local idiots use it to see how fast they can accelerate indefinitely... So anyway we would ride side-by-side then he would drop back and we'd ride single file for a minute or so then he'd come back up alongside. I finally realized he was using a helmet mirror so he could see when cars were coming up behind us.QUOTE]

Bingo! One of the reasons I first got a mirror. I can adjust before I hear 'em coming. Despite my significant hearing loss, when riding with others, I almost always know there's traffic coming before they do.
    Last edited by NOS88; 07-18-06 at 10:45 AM.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Trek, Cannondale Tandem, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeR
    Here's a picture and a link to REI http://www.rei.com/product/1842331.htm

Best mirror there is!
    I sure like mine.

Muscle bike design spec robtown's Avatar
    My Bikes
    98 Giant CFR-TEAM, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 HyperLite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Blackburn mirror on my drop handlebars. I tried a helmet mirror and couldn't get it working. Now, when I take my vintage bike [doesn't have a mirror] out I feel odd, like I'm riding without a helmet.
    Korval is Ships
    See my Hyperlite 411 it's the photo model on OutRiderUSA web page

Kianchi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1, me too ! (take a look)

Bring That Beat Back Old Dirt Hill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deltabear
    +1, me too ! (take a look)
    +1 on the take-a-look. I prefer mine to be mounted to the side of my glasses, from the bottom side of the frame. This configuration allows the mirror to sit pretty low in my line of vision as I can look over the top of it for normal riding.

It's not perfect in that if I'm deep in the drops I can't see anything but sky, but it's pretty easy to pick my head up a little bit and see everything I need to.

I will never ride my bike without this mirror. It is probably the item that I've purchased that has increased my overall ride enjoyment the most.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robtown
    I have a Blackburn mirror on my drop handlebars. I tried a helmet mirror and couldn't get it working. Now, when I take my vintage bike [doesn't have a mirror] out I feel odd, like I'm riding without a helmet.
    Except that I don't remember the brand of the mirror on my drops, this could have been written by me. Whenever I ride one of my vintage bike with out a mirror, I feel like I'm in danger.

Regards,
    Alan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I started riding, I got a mirror shortly afterwards -- a dumb, Fred-looking bar-end mirror that fit on my flatbar nicely. Came to depend on it.

Then I tried to move it to another bike, and the part that slips inside the handlebar sort of broke, and I couldn't do it, and then i didn't have a mirror on either bike. I made a mental note to get another one, and started riding again.

That was 1,000 miles ago. I've GOT to get down to the LBS and GET A MIRROR!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

BF Risk Manager
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Blackburn mirrors on both my MTB and road bikes. The road mirror velcros over the left brake hood and the MTB mirror velcros over the end of my left handlebar. I have ridden with mirrors for years and to me, they are as essential as a helmet.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MillCreek
    I have Blackburn mirror
    I've been considering the blackburn mirrors. Are they flat or curved?
    Hi 'o Silver away

BF Risk Manager
    My Bikes
    Road, mountain and folding
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    I've been considering the blackburn mirrors. Are they flat or curved?
    Both of the models that I have are flat.
    Regards, MillCreek
    Snohomish County, Washington USA

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a mirror now and well worth the money. it is nice to know what is coming up behind you or on the side of you.
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MillCreek
    Both of the models that I have are flat.
    Great, thanks. I'll have to give one a try.
    Hi 'o Silver away

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 Take-a-Look
    I would rather drive without rear view mirrors on a car than on my bicycle.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update on what started this whole mirror thread. I saw my friend who had the accident at 45 mph, having lunch downtown. His arm was in a sling, but I couldn't see any lacerations or road rash, albeit he was wearing a long sleeve shirt and long pants. I know he had some back injury, but he was laughing and looked good. I guess the God of Carbon Fiber was watching over him. I dug around in my parts box and found an old mirror that came from my wife's MTB, which I will install to try out, but I'm thinking the Take-A-Look is the way to go.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Take-A-Look is one of my choices as are the ones made by Chuck Harris (Ultralight Bike Shop, Gambier, OH).
    Same mirror for over 3 years and thousands of miles of usage. Use the eyeglass frame mounted one. Adjusts up & down and sideways.
    Have used many mirrors since they first came out in the 70s (a dental mirror mounted to eyeglass frame!).
    Take-A-Look and Chuck Harris' handmade mirror (he's made over 70,000 of them with recycled materials) are the best available and both are American made (yeh, that still means something to us!).
    Don't leave home without it . . .

Pedal on TWOgether!
    Rudyand Kay/zonatandem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast