Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Oh No! 1st Senior Discount (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/211286-oh-no-1st-senior-discount.html)

fthomas 07-16-06 12:54 AM

Oh No! 1st Senior Discount

Two days since surgery and I just had to get a bicycle fix. A couple of friends agreed to chaufer me about and we stopped at Wendy's for some ice tea on the way to the bike shop to browse all the goodies. My treat and the cute young lady gave me my first Senior Discount at the young age of 52. We all had a good laugh!

A bit earlier I had made a decision and a public announcement to my friends to get back in shape. After looking in the mirror at my incision I decided that all these youung guys are sporting six packs I am getting rid of my little keg.

Just before my mt bike crash I was down to a trim (for me) 34 inch waist. A few months of no pedaling and I balloned back up by not watching the caloric intake.

So, I now make a commitment before a larger audience: I Fred Thomas am going to ride a trainer as soon as I am able and get back in shape for the day I can ride the road or trail in 4 to 5 weeks.. I have no designs on being a racer, but will improve my cycling skills along with my conditioning.

I appreciate the 50+ thread with all of the good advice, great motivatonal writing, and sharing a sense of community. Thank you all!

dauphin 07-16-06 01:40 AM

Definitely a decent group of folks here in 50+ and I know they all support you!

Blackberry 07-16-06 04:09 AM

Glad you're on the mend. To those callow youths, anyone over 35 looks like they're about 100.

Looking at things through the other side, I do some volunteer work checking IDs at a local charity event, which sells beer. Anyone under 35 looks like he or she is about 19. Of course, I always check a woman's ID, even if she was born before WWII. They seem to appreciate it.

DnvrFox 07-16-06 05:23 AM

Southwest Airlines has a great 65+ discount. So far they quote $138 (fully refundable) to anyplace they fly in continental USA that I have checked. Yes, they have a cheaper internet fare, but it is not refundable. At 65+ it really gets important to have that refund available - you never know what the next day will bring. So, you just have 13 years to go to get their Super Discount. Of course, by then, SWA will likely be merged and/or flying rocket ships, or we will be out of oil and everyone will walk.

Then there is the Kohl's Senior Discount, and a bunch of others.

The best, IMHO, is the 60+ (not the senior rate) by the Choice Hotels, which you have to get by calling the 800 number. Saves at least $10 over the senior rate!

ANyone know a LBS with a senior discount?

Lion Steve 07-16-06 05:38 AM

Over 55 will get you a Mcdonald's coffee discount - $.45 for a small cup.

Monoborracho 07-16-06 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackberry
Anyone under 35 looks like he or she is about 19. .

This reminds me of the old story about college girls preferring middle aged men, and they think middle age begins at 27.

old99 07-16-06 09:58 AM

I've been getting the senior discount for several years now, and I'm 53. I won't ask for it, but if they give it to me without asking I'll certainly take it! I figured that it's the penalty for being young and being assumptive.

Digital Gee 07-16-06 10:00 AM

I got one of my first unsolicited Senior Discounts at a Jack in the Box drive thru restaurant maybe a year ago. I gave my order through the window to one of those machines you can never quite understand, was told to pull to Window 1 and pay a certain amount, and then to Window 2 for the order. Without ever seeing me, I was given a Senior Discount. :mad:

stapfam 07-16-06 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Without ever seeing me, I was given a Senior Discount. :mad:

Thats the best thing to do= Give a discount without having to see you. You'll have to improve your voice.

I work on the phone a lot and occasionally have to go out and see customers. You can be greatly disalusioned when you see the face that goes with the voice. That sexy voice, Female by the way, from One of my customers looks like the back of a bus and is about 200lbs.

Senior discounts? Don't have them over here. Can get an over 60's dinner at half price- providing you bring your grandfather along to prove who you are.

Digital Gee 07-16-06 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stapfam
That sexy voice, Female by the way, from One of my customers looks like the back of a bus and is about 200lbs.

This is why I never availed myself of the phone sex operations (the 900 numbers) back when everyone was talking about them. I had an instinct that the sexy voice on the other end of the line would probably belong to a refugee from the Barnun and Bailey's side show.

edp773 07-16-06 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monoborracho
This reminds me of the old story about college girls preferring middle aged men, and they think middle age begins at 27.

Midlife is from age 30 to 70. Go figure huh.

When I was on dialysis I received the senior discount regularly. Pre-mature aging at its best. :D

DnvrFox 07-16-06 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edp773
Midlife is from age 30 to 70. Go figure huh.

When I was on dialysis I received the senior discount regularly. Pre-mature aging at its best. :D

They give you a senior discount when you are on the dialysis machine? Now, that is one REAL discount! I'm going to ask for one for my wife's knee replacement.

trackhub 07-16-06 12:02 PM

In only another seven months, I start getting all that stuff from the AARP! :D

College girls are nice to look at, no question. But that's about it. They make jokes I don't get, and talk about bands and performers I've never heard of. And besides, they all seem to suffer from that strange medical condition, where they have a cell phone permenantly attached to their ear.

megaman 07-16-06 01:05 PM

My wife started getting stuff from AARP 5 or so years ago. She's 54. So she joined and I can use her discount. AARP must figure I don't exist. I've neve gotten anything from them. Maybe they think I look to young. ;) Oh well, to me it'd just be more junk mail.

centexwoody 07-16-06 03:19 PM

one of my backpacking partners is 68 and skinny as a rail - back when he was chaplain at the hospital they used him as the 'dying guy' in the training videos so when we're together, he gets all the discounts...

zonatandem 07-16-06 03:25 PM

fthomas:
Heck, I've got kids your age.

George W. Diego 07-16-06 03:29 PM

Senior discounts are all part of my heralded prescription drug program for seniors. You've got the Republican party to thank for that! :)

megaman 07-16-06 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George W. Diego
Senior discounts are all part of my heralded prescription drug program for seniors. You've got the Republican party to thank for that! :)

Wow, I didn't know you invented senior discounts!

BroMax 07-16-06 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stapfam
Thats the best thing to do= Give a discount without having to see you. You'll have to improve your voice.

I work on the phone a lot and occasionally have to go out and see customers. You can be greatly disalusioned when you see the face that goes with the voice. That sexy voice, Female by the way, from One of my customers looks like the back of a bus and is about 200lbs.

Senior discounts? Don't have them over here. Can get an over 60's dinner at half price- providing you bring your grandfather along to prove who you are.

I've seen such discounts in your country, only they're called "pensioners" instead of senior citizens and they don't seem to be offered in quite so many places.