User Tag List

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh No! 1st Senior Discount

Two days since surgery and I just had to get a bicycle fix. A couple of friends agreed to chaufer me about and we stopped at Wendy's for some ice tea on the way to the bike shop to browse all the goodies. My treat and the cute young lady gave me my first Senior Discount at the young age of 52. We all had a good laugh!

A bit earlier I had made a decision and a public announcement to my friends to get back in shape. After looking in the mirror at my incision I decided that all these youung guys are sporting six packs I am getting rid of my little keg.

Just before my mt bike crash I was down to a trim (for me) 34 inch waist. A few months of no pedaling and I balloned back up by not watching the caloric intake.

So, I now make a commitment before a larger audience: I Fred Thomas am going to ride a trainer as soon as I am able and get back in shape for the day I can ride the road or trail in 4 to 5 weeks.. I have no designs on being a racer, but will improve my cycling skills along with my conditioning.

I appreciate the 50+ thread with all of the good advice, great motivatonal writing, and sharing a sense of community. Thank you all!
    Last edited by fthomas; 07-16-06 at 01:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely a decent group of folks here in 50+ and I know they all support you!

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're on the mend. To those callow youths, anyone over 35 looks like they're about 100.

Looking at things through the other side, I do some volunteer work checking IDs at a local charity event, which sells beer. Anyone under 35 looks like he or she is about 19. Of course, I always check a woman's ID, even if she was born before WWII. They seem to appreciate it.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southwest Airlines has a great 65+ discount. So far they quote $138 (fully refundable) to anyplace they fly in continental USA that I have checked. Yes, they have a cheaper internet fare, but it is not refundable. At 65+ it really gets important to have that refund available - you never know what the next day will bring. So, you just have 13 years to go to get their Super Discount. Of course, by then, SWA will likely be merged and/or flying rocket ships, or we will be out of oil and everyone will walk.

Then there is the Kohl's Senior Discount, and a bunch of others.

The best, IMHO, is the 60+ (not the senior rate) by the Choice Hotels, which you have to get by calling the 800 number. Saves at least $10 over the senior rate!

ANyone know a LBS with a senior discount?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-16-06 at 07:42 AM.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over 55 will get you a Mcdonald's coffee discount - $.45 for a small cup.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Anyone under 35 looks like he or she is about 19. .
    This reminds me of the old story about college girls preferring middle aged men, and they think middle age begins at 27.

Perpetually lost
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been getting the senior discount for several years now, and I'm 53. I won't ask for it, but if they give it to me without asking I'll certainly take it! I figured that it's the penalty for being young and being assumptive.
    "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."
    George Bernard Shaw

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got one of my first unsolicited Senior Discounts at a Jack in the Box drive thru restaurant maybe a year ago. I gave my order through the window to one of those machines you can never quite understand, was told to pull to Window 1 and pay a certain amount, and then to Window 2 for the order. Without ever seeing me, I was given a Senior Discount.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Without ever seeing me, I was given a Senior Discount.
    Thats the best thing to do= Give a discount without having to see you. You'll have to improve your voice.

I work on the phone a lot and occasionally have to go out and see customers. You can be greatly disalusioned when you see the face that goes with the voice. That sexy voice, Female by the way, from One of my customers looks like the back of a bus and is about 200lbs.

Senior discounts? Don't have them over here. Can get an over 60's dinner at half price- providing you bring your grandfather along to prove who you are.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    That sexy voice, Female by the way, from One of my customers looks like the back of a bus and is about 200lbs.
    This is why I never availed myself of the phone sex operations (the 900 numbers) back when everyone was talking about them. I had an instinct that the sexy voice on the other end of the line would probably belong to a refugee from the Barnun and Bailey's side show.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    This reminds me of the old story about college girls preferring middle aged men, and they think middle age begins at 27.

Midlife is from age 30 to 70. Go figure huh.

When I was on dialysis I received the senior discount regularly. Pre-mature aging at its best.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by edp773
    Midlife is from age 30 to 70. Go figure huh.

When I was on dialysis I received the senior discount regularly. Pre-mature aging at its best.
    They give you a senior discount when you are on the dialysis machine? Now, that is one REAL discount! I'm going to ask for one for my wife's knee replacement.
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

In a state of 5th Dimension, where size has no meaning.
    My Bikes
    Gunnar Street Dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In only another seven months, I start getting all that stuff from the AARP!

College girls are nice to look at, no question. But that's about it. They make jokes I don't get, and talk about bands and performers I've never heard of. And besides, they all seem to suffer from that strange medical condition, where they have a cell phone permenantly attached to their ear.
    "The People will believe what the Media tells them they believe". George Orwell.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife started getting stuff from AARP 5 or so years ago. She's 54. So she joined and I can use her discount. AARP must figure I don't exist. I've neve gotten anything from them. Maybe they think I look to young. Oh well, to me it'd just be more junk mail.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one of my backpacking partners is 68 and skinny as a rail - back when he was chaplain at the hospital they used him as the 'dying guy' in the training videos so when we're together, he gets all the discounts...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fthomas:
    Heck, I've got kids your age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Senior discounts are all part of my heralded prescription drug program for seniors. You've got the Republican party to thank for that!

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by George W. Diego
    Senior discounts are all part of my heralded prescription drug program for seniors. You've got the Republican party to thank for that!
    Wow, I didn't know you invented senior discounts!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Thats the best thing to do= Give a discount without having to see you. You'll have to improve your voice.

I work on the phone a lot and occasionally have to go out and see customers. You can be greatly disalusioned when you see the face that goes with the voice. That sexy voice, Female by the way, from One of my customers looks like the back of a bus and is about 200lbs.

Senior discounts? Don't have them over here. Can get an over 60's dinner at half price- providing you bring your grandfather along to prove who you are.
    I've seen such discounts in your country, only they're called "pensioners" instead of senior citizens and they don't seem to be offered in quite so many places.
    Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.

-Martin Luther King, Jr.