Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A turtle passed me!!

Or at least it felt that way today. It was pretty hot in the piedmont area of NC so I opted to go up to the mountains where it was cooler and do a little riding. I got in 71 miles with 7000+ ft of climbing with an average speed of a whopping 13.6 mph!! I added a couple climbs at the start to what was already a pretty hilly route....not sure what I was thinking there.

The route started in Blowing Rock and went to Valle Crucis, Sugar Grove, back to Valle Crucis, Banner Elk, Beech Mtn, Newland, Linville and back to Blowing Rock.

Today's significant climbs were:

Hwy 221 S from Blowing Rock-2 miles
    Mast Gap Rd-2 miles
    George's Gap-2 miles
    Mast Gap Rd from the opposite Direction-1 mile
    Hwy 194 South to Banner Elk-4-5 miles
    Beech Mountain (Ugh!!)-2.5 miles (felt like 20) and gets steeper the higher you go
    Hickory Gap Rd-2+ miles
    Hwy 221 to the entrance of Grandfather-2 miles
    Hwy 221 North into Blowing Rock-1.5 miles

Coming down Beech Mountain I keep thinking about Raket's crash so I rode the brakes pretty hard. It had rained the day before and there were traces of gravel all over the route. I stopped about half way down and I touch the rims and they were so hot you could not keep a finger on them. I waited and let them cool off a little and took back off again..........

The most unusual wildlife I saw was a pheasant sauntering across the road with 6 "chicks" in tow. Not sure what the right name for them is but that was a sight!!! I couldn't get the camera out fast enough to get a picture of that one.

Here's some pics:

My wife's acupuncture school
    The aftermath of the Doc Watson Music festival
    View from top of George's Gap
    At least the roads were well marked!
    Another view from the other side of George's Gap
    Car on side of road-make up your own caption!!
    Man Made waterfall-still pretty nice
    Frasor Fir Christmas Tree Farm-The farms seem to be abundant around Newland-are least we now have a replacement crop for tobacco!!
    Entrance to Grandfather Mountain-mid September is the ride to the top!!!

Taoswoman has given me some choices of some roads to try out in her area New Mexico. I hope to get in a little riding out that way this week on a trip with the wife-if I have my legs and lungs!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the pix and the fine report. Pheasant sighting must have been very nice. I always get the creeps when I see a car like that. It makes me wonder what would have happened if a bike had been in its path.

It was 90+ here in sunny Virginia. Went for 45 rolling miles through the Shenandoah Valley. I saw a fawn standing in a shallow mountain stream. I took it as a sign that he was smarter than me.

As I began to run low on water at the 20-mile mark, I happened on a church with a pump and a sign offering "Free Ice Cold Water for Cyclists." Heavenly intervention saves a sinner yet again.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe, I always enjoy seeing your photos. I went for a very nice ride along the local reservoir, with about 1/7 the climbing you did, but tough enough for me. Alas, didn't bring a camera. Maybe next time I'll remember

Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    Taoswoman has given me some choices of some roads to try out in her area New Mexico. I hope to get in a little riding out that way this week on a trip with the wife-if I have my legs and lungs!!!
    Some of the country south of Santa Fe, along the Santa Fe century route, was really beautiful. And you should be able to find a few decent climbs

My Bikes
    2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on an average speed of 13.6 mph. The turtles must have lapped me on my last ride of 9.69 mph on a hybrid.

Nice pictures.
    Born Again Bicyclist! I found my Faith.

Giant Cypress, GF Wahoo, Trek 7.3FX, Schwinn Sprint

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.......being passed by a turtle avg spd 13.6 is nothing when you hammer yourself with climb after climb plus a few gratuitous ones as you did. In my case, the turtles pass me then, to add insult, look at me with profound pity, before disappearing around the bend. Jppe, you are still my climbing hero.

That new Canon A530 everyone helped me pick out was shipped a few days ago. I'll soon post some pics of California brown where I ride.....if anything, they'll make the Carolinas look even more Garden of Eden green. Unlike that steambath humid heat.....we have ovenbaked dry heat. I'm already longing for crisp autumn days and wool jerseys.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are running a promotion for NC and doing a good job.

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Passed by a turtle? I recall doing a ride in British Columbia up a grade and watching butterflies pass me. That was a bit unnerving.

There was also a ride I did that started out with Teton Pass which is 10% for quite a ways. I got to the top and was averaging 5 mph.

I think the trick with hills is to forget about average speed and just do them.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was it this one?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    RANS Fusion, Ross Mt. Whitney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by will dehne
    I think you are running a promotion for NC and doing a good job.
    Indeed he is... but just in case:
    Road rides...
    long road rides...
    rides for the well-off...
    rides in the woods...
    ...and lastly, the local track

- Dave, in Asheville

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleFusion
    Indeed he is... but just in case:
    Road rides...
    long road rides...
    rides for the well-off...
    rides in the woods...
    ...and lastly, the local track

- Dave, in Asheville

Dave-I was at my sister-in-law's house in Enka over the 4th-she lives in the development at Bilmore/
    Enka Lake. I did a version of the Pisgah View 44 that included Hooker's Gap. Those collections of routes are good que sheets to have handy.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jppe, great pics, thanks.
    Your title reminded me a few weeks back I was actually passed by turtles. Three of them on three different rides. They came out in front of me and I stopped(considering I'm very low to the ground) cause I didn't want to tangle with snapping turtles. They took their sweet time crossing the trails.
    Just so you know that I'm slower than you!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [B]I passed JPPE?![B] I can't believe it! Where was my head, up my shell? Wow, the only one around here I can beat is the slug who lives on the edge of my pond (but he has no legs).

Oh...I just read the rest of the post.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    RANS Fusion, Ross Mt. Whitney
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    I was at my sister-in-law's house in Enka...
    Used to work in the Enka/BASF office tower that's now part of the Asheville-Buncombe Tech campus. Seems like another lifetime...

Perhaps an adjunct to your camera could be this little number so you could capture lots of nice helmet-cam or handlebar-cam video to further entice tourists to come to NC and spend some $$$

- Dave, shamelessly pimping for NC tourism

My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was stationed in Norway, I rode my 21 speed up a VERY steep hill to our apartment, only to be passed by a little old lady (she was in her 80s) on a single speed bike.

On another note: On my ride around the Highline Canal trail today (22.75 miles) I managed a new course record 13.1 mph average. WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOO I'm getting better.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a month or so ago I was riding a gentle uphill when I was passed by a rollerblader. He was drafting behind a bike! made me feel even slower than usual.