Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Besides running, what cross training would you suggest?
    Tennis, rowing, martial arts, in-line skating, swimming, speed walking, weight training, cross country skiing.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NOS88
    Tennis, rowing, martial arts, in-line skating, swimming, speed walking, weight training, cross country skiing.
    OK

I do a lot of weight lifting, and a fair amount of "Fast" walking, although I would guess it is technically not "speed walking" if I understand that term correctly.

I have been thinking of swimming this winter. I would love to do inline skating, but have a good deal of concern about potential major injuries during the learning curve. As we have snow, I do a bit of cross country skiing. I also use a variety of treadmills, ellipticals, stair steppers and the like during the winter training program.

Am I "cross training" already?
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Pat
    My Bikes
    litespeed, cannondale
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcl8a
    I find that effort ratio is about 2.5:1, from personal experience. I ran a marathon in 3.5 hours, and took about the same time, with about the same subjective level of tiredness) for a metric century. According to various calculators (of varying accuracy, I'm sure), at my weight and pace, cycling takes ~40cal/mi and running ~100.

I share the OP's thoughts on conditioning. I am certainly more 'muscle' limited in cycling and 'aerobic' limited in running, or at least I was when I switched. Now I'm just...limited.
    I find a 2.5 - 3.0 : 1 ratio of cycling vs running makes about the most sense. That evens out the calories burned and pretty near the time involved in each.

There are some problems.

1) Running is high impact. So the fact of the matter is that running hurts more than cycling so it must be HARDER and therefore the superior form of exercise. I suppose using that logic bungee jumping without a bungee beats both cycling and running. The thing is that because cycling is very low impact, cyclists can burn up far more calories than runners.

2) Cycling is not weight bearing. This means that even rather portly and plump cyclists can be impressively fast. Well they can be even more than rather portly and plump, they can be downright portly and plump. Runners have to be light to do their sport so they confuse being skinny with being in condition which are not always the same thing.

3) Cycling also tends to be more specialized than running. I find that it is rather easy to go out and run a bit and get my heart rate up. To do that cycling, you have to develop your quads and even then you have to work pretty hard to get the heart rate up. So running seems to be more aerobic. But if you have ever ridden in a fast group with frequent attacks you will find that cycling can get you downright hypoxic.

4) It is true that one can loaf whilst cycling. You can coast or soft pedal for awhile. In facts, out on the road, one often has to take little breaks because of road hazards. Again, unless you get into a fast group with frequent attacks or you climb a long steep hill or mountain, you really do not have a good concept of how aerobic cycling can be.

As for the distance one can go on in a ride, the rule of thumb is that if you can do about 1.4 times your longest training ride. Training can be a bit irrelevant anyway. I have known people who have ridden centuries without any training at all. Of course, they knew about hydration and pacing and all that stuff. I would not recommend going out and trying it if you have not perfected the process.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    OK

I do a lot of weight lifting, and a fair amount of "Fast" walking, although I would guess it is technically not "speed walking" if I understand that term correctly.

I have been thinking of swimming this winter. I would love to do inline skating, but have a good deal of concern about potential major injuries during the learning curve. As we have snow, I do a bit of cross country skiing. I also use a variety of treadmills, ellipticals, stair steppers and the like during the winter training program.

Am I "cross training" already?

Sounds like you are. Now, the question for me is, do I do it with the same deliberateness of my cycling? I know that my cross training is not as structured as I'd like it to be. The simple fact is I'd rather ride my bike in 5 degree or 102 degree weather than do any of those other activities. So, they tend to get short changed.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some years back when they wanted me to do a treadmill test I asked them why they no longer offered a bicycle version. They said when they get a real rider, it totally blows away the average. (apparently more so than when they get a real runner on the treadmill) Interesting..
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Too Numerous (not)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..which reminds me of the time I had to do a treadmill test where they max you out and inject some dye so they can map the heart vessels. I was training for a marathon at the time and the whole room was packed with other doctors and med students wanting to see a marathoner get maxed out. (I tanked)
    David Green, Naperville, IL USA "The older I get, the better I used to be" --Lee Trevino

My Bikes
    Jamis: '05 Quest and '08 Xenith Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On alternate days, I either run 2 miles or ride 30-50 miles, usually one or two 'rest' days/wk. In the winter, its usually just run every other day. At 56 now, I can forsee my "roadie" days becoming more prevalent than running.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12