Get A Life - Get A Bike cheeseflavor's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somebody - talk some sense into me!

I'm starting to look at other saddles again.

No, there's nothing wrong with my beloved Alias, but I've been lusting after a Specialized Toupe. And, they're on sale for under $130 at the LBS.

Help!

Steve

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steve, quick send me the $130. I'll hold on to it until the urge passes.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got a saddle that works and you want something else that costs $130. That's just nucking futz. Now slap yourself in the face and go for a bike ride.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My gut tells me that you will not be as satisfied with the Toupe as the Alias......I've been down that road myself on another saddle line.......but hey, if it takes $130 minus salvage value to find out for sure at least you will know!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick! Take the money to the nearest bakery and buy large amounts of pie before you waste it on something foolish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jppe
    but hey, if it takes $130 minus salvage value to find out for sure at least you will know!!
    +1

Sometimes we have to go outside the box to appreciate what's inside the box.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BUY THE NEW SADDLE! Then sell me the old one for $10 and avoid those terrible ebay costs.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I knew I count on you.

I'll let you know if I cave

Steve

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do what I do...talk about it for so long that you get sick of hearing yourself talk about it, and finally your mind will move on to other things. For a while, anyway. So...what bike should I buy?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now have over 600 miles on my Specialized avatar....and damn my butt hurts....maybe it's just me. If whatcha got works...keep it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Do what I do...talk about it for so long that you get sick of hearing yourself talk about it, and finally your mind will move on to other things. For a while, anyway. So...what bike should I buy?
    Try "moving on" to adults-ville, Mr. Gee. Because that's where you'll find a little thing I like to call maturity. Yeah, that's right, maturity. It isn't fast, or funny, or "hep." And it sure as hell won't land you the twisted sexual experiences your sick mind craves. But it's served the men who built this nation for well over 200 years. Oh, the girlies down at the beach may not think you're "da bomb," and the kid who delivers your newpapers might tell his little friends you're an old codger who leers at him in an inappropriate manner when he tries to collect from you at the end of the month. But the next time you wander into "Bicycle Store X" with a few extra bucks in your pocket and maybe a few drinks on your breath, you might actually make a wise decision...the decision to make a decision on your own. Because Mister, we're all getting mighty tired of hearing questions from you that a 5 year old with dissentary could answer with both his shoeleaces untied. Yeah, that's right, I said "un-tied," because Pal, when you and your beatnik pals decide to "spark your bongs," or whatever you call it these days, just remember that little boy with a case of dissentary, because he could sure as hell use your help...help you could give him if you weren't wasted with whatever it is you people choose to smoke these days before going into "Bicycle Store X" so you can get more confused than you were before you went in.
    Last edited by Webb Diego; 07-18-06 at 02:58 AM.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, Wally! That mean Mr. Diego sure gave me the business!
    Last edited by Digital Gee; 07-18-06 at 03:23 AM.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy the Toupe & sell me your old Alias!

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saddles are like women: When you find that one that is good for you, you cherish it and keep it forever. If you start looking around for something better it will cost you lots of money and lead to a lot of pain.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

one post at time
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webb Diego
    Try "moving on" to adults-ville, Mr. Gee. Because that's where you'll find a little thing I like to call maturity. Yeah, that's right, maturity. It isn't fast, or funny, or "hep."
    ROTFLMAO... Bookman (Diego)

// kak

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    Saddles are like women: When you find that one that is good for you, you cherish it and keep it forever. If you start looking around for something better it will cost you lots of money and lead to a lot of pain.
    Saddles are like women. Even the best ones can be a pain in the butt but try riding through life without one.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Saddles are like women. Even the best ones can be a pain in the butt but try riding through life without one.

That one goes on my wall!

My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor

No, there's nothing wrong with my beloved Alias, but I've been lusting after a Specialized Toupe. And, they're on sale for under $130 at the LBS.

Help!

Steve
    How can you put a price on something that spends that much time between your legs? - Cheap at twice the price!

FWIW, I ride a Brooks B-17, and my but is very happy - not the lightest thing on my bike, (does it weight more than the frame? - not sure) but well worth the weight

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds as though you have the Perfection in saddles disease. Nothing will keep you happy until it is cured. Many of us have it and it is prevalent amongst riders that do- or aspire to do rides in excess of 10 minutes duration. There are a few cures. Stop riding the bike- Run out of money for buying saddles, or ride the bike for a while longer until the butt and saddle become attuned- or do like the majority and keep buying saddle after saddle until the dream saddle is found. As the greater majority have found out- There is no cure- you actually have a saddle fetish and until you throw the saddle away and realise the pain of just riding on the seat stem- you will not be cured. Just face it- 10 seconds of just a seat stem- painfull as it sounds, will show you how any saddle is a lot more comfortable than no saddle.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll get no help from me in trying to resist the Toupe. I got one a while back to replace the Bontrager Buttbuster, or Bonecrusher, or whatever it was called, that came on my bike originally. I love the Toupe. Lightweight, and comfy comfy comfy. I've done three centuries on it, and each time I was ready to rock the next day. It's a good looking saddle, too.

Note that they come in different sizes... make sure you get the right one.

Ain't Easy Being Cheesy CheeseLouise's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Ruby Comp :)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeseflavor

Help!

Steve
    HE DID IT!!!! I know this comes as a shock to all of you, but Steve is now the proud owner of a brand new Specialized Toupe. I think he needs a 12-step program. Perhaps PastorBob could offer guidance to Cheese'!!!

Oh...BTW as soon as Steve realizes that he misses his Alias I am sure we will have a Toupe for sale

Linda
    "Bike First"
    "Work Later"

2006 Specialized Ruby Comp
    www.bikenaked.net

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Buy the Toupe & sell me your old Alias!
    I dunno Far.... that Alias is my "reference" saddle.

I just put the Toupe on the bike and rode it a whole couple of miles while doing some adjustments. I'll report later on how it feels after a 30 mile (or more) ride. I have to say it felt like a keeper for those couple of miles.

Take care,

Steve

My Bikes
    Cannondale R600
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious. May main ride has an Avatar and it's not at all bad. New bike has an E-3 (which I know that you tried and liked for a short while) but I haven't ridden it much yet. I'll be curious to see about the Toupe as it's been on my radar screen lately.

So happy that you're doing my research for me...

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialized Toupe report

After 10 pr so rides, and a couple hundred miles, including a longest ride of 75 miles, I think I can say I like this saddle. After yesterday's 75 miler, my sit-bones were a bit tender, but I had no, nada bit of, numbness at all, and that's something I can't even say about the Alias (my "reference" saddle).

I still haven't decided if it's better overall than the Alias, but I can say I like it, and will be keeping it on the bike at this point.

FYI,

Steve

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    at least you let us know that you 'caved'

now which BF+er are you going to send that 'old' saddle to?
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.