Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   The Handlebar Fairy has Landed - redux (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/211926-handlebar-fairy-has-landed-redux.html)

cyclezen 07-18-06 12:27 PM

The Handlebar Fairy has Landed - redux

2 Attachment(s)
Well
anatomic bars and I just don;t mix well, so I'm getting rid of them and goin back to a classic bend.

Along those lines, Grannygear was nice enough to offer 50+ers and send me his ritchey bars. Can't get comfortable on them or any other anatomic ergo bars, so...

as with his offer, I'm extendin the same - Free Handlebars - pristine - 44cm c-c
you pay ship

grannygear's original offer and descript below, and his pics...
PM me if you want them...

Originally Posted by GrannyGear
I'm switching my Romulus back to conventional bend bars...Nitto Noodles (http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/) which have subtle, undulating curves, nice flats behind the 'hoods, moderate drop, angled tops, and are good, traditional bars.

So, I no longer need my Ritchey Pro anatomic bar and would gladly and freely send it to any 50Plusser (only 50Plussers...we're a fiercely tribal bunch, many of us being humble pensioners, etc.) who wants to try it and hopefully ride the dickens out of it. Just reimburse me for postage when you get it. If you don't like it, send it back and I'll find someone else to take it. Another 50Plusser and I did a very agreeable saddle swap during FarHorizon's short-lived swap thread. Consider this our new "Parts Share" thread. Well, as long as it lasts.

Particulars: 26mm clamp, 44cm wide ctr to ctr, black, few scratches that don't show. Pics below. Nice flat flats behind the hoods without a suicidal tilt that leaves your bar-ends almost vertical. After about 1K miles, my smallish hands still don't fit comfortably on the anatomic "bumps".

First email has it.

Blue Stars: Let me forgive you in advance (especially you Koffee ;) -- who called us the "BenGay bunch") if you need to kabosh this thread....you're only doing your duty as you see it.)

Blackberry 07-18-06 07:18 PM

I'd love to take you up on your kind offers, but I've got Nitto bars on two of my bikes and wouldn't dream of switching back. I've got anatomic bars on my go-fast bike and would switch to Nittos on that one as well--but being both cheap and lazy, I guess they're staying.

FarHorizon 07-18-06 08:16 PM

+1 for not finding anatomic bars "anatomic" at all! I'm sold on my Nitto Noodles.

CrossChain 07-18-06 08:22 PM

Cyclezen....sorry they didn't work out, but thanks for trying to pass them on. I'm very happy on my Nitto Noodles and Dream bars, too. That dvd worked just fine-- after numerous watches while on the trainer I passed it on to a friend-- a big fan of Discovery. Lance's 2 books pulled her through recovery from surgery.

cyclezen 07-18-06 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by CrossChain
Cyclezen....sorry they didn't work out, but thanks for trying to pass them on. I'm very happy on my Nitto Noodles and Dream bars, too.

Oh, but it did work out, in terms of education. After 35+ years of ridin traditional bars, I guess I found that they really work pretty well for me.
When I 1st saw the 'new' anatomic ergo bars I was all hepped to get thm on one of my bikes - but never really acted on it. At least until this fall when I finally broke down and got not 1 new frame, but 3 - all steel. Decided to do 'anatomic on all of them. The Ritchey bars are the 'surviving' set, the other 2 bikes have long since been subbed back to classic bend bars.
Bars, like saddles, a totally personal choice. It is nice to have all these options, and be comfortable with the choice one does end up with.
Also found I like a narrow bar. Seems to keep in better posture, I tend to allow my elbows to lock on a wide bar, whereas on a 40 cm I hold a much better natural bend to the elbows and wrists - way better for good riding and long distance... for me
Kudos to your great offer - figured I could at least keep the same goin...