Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three weeks since my last ride

Well folks just thought I would report in. It has been three weeks since my last ride, except for the trip down the driveway and back on my slick equipped mtb that the Mrs. didn't know about. I won't do that again.

I had hoped to be riding again by August but this surgery has been tough. My rotator cuff had what I have heard the therapist describe as a "traumatic tear". It had actually cut/torn through about a 2 inch section of the cuff due to a large bone spur in the shoulDer (caused by a jillion baseball pitches, I'm told). I'm still keepiing my arm in a sling most of the time. I have been able to go to the office for four or five hours each day. There is still a lot of pain, and I have only had one complete night's sleep since the surgery. But it gets a little better each day.

I go to rehab 3 days a week. Yesterday I was able to lift my arm above my head with (almost) no help. I can use the hand a little (such as typing here), by keeping it near waist level. I had the legs cut off my computer table so I could use it.

I'm still several weeks away from beginning strengthening exercises. I probably won't ride again till the weather is cool, except for a stationary bike. It won't get cool in Texas for a while. I tried a borrowed trainer, but it just won't work until the healing is further along. One wrong move or shift in weight or inadvertent extension of the arm and it felt as though someone was driving a spike in my shoulder.

So for now I'll just keep checking BF and looking at the bikes all lined up in their place in the garage. I'll buy a few bike parts on E-bay (found some new 7-speed Shiman barcons and an antique Brooks saddle bag) and pick out some new tires and jerseys from Nashbar. Last night I watched the movies Breaking Away and American Flyer, BOTH in one night.

Remember.........

".......its minor surgery when they do it to SOMEONE ELSE"

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho

True story, big guy. Hang in there. It WILL get better. BTW, as I think was discussed in a previous thread, I've seen someone with similar issues do very well on a recumbent. I might be able to put you in touch if you're interested.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monoborracho
    Well folks just thought I would report in. It has been three weeks since my last ride, except........ But it gets a little better each day.

..... except for a stationary bike. .... Last night I watched the movies Breaking Away and American Flyer, BOTH in one night.

Remember.........

Ditto:

Just went through my first surgery last Thursday. The surgeon told me I would be able to ride a trainer as soon as I am up to it, but when will that be I must ask.

Heal quick and take care of yourself. The costs of repeating the excercise your going through are just to high if your not a good patient - patience!

As a Texas Expat Remember: Never ask anyone where they are from. If their from Texas they’ll tell ya. Otherwise, you don't want to embarrass them.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a time to be off sick. 4 hours of TDF per day and all I get to watch is the editted highlights for about 30 minutes every night. Not that I want your problems but I do envy you- Then on top of that you have time to investigate the Cycle Carbo hydrate diet- Are cakes as good as Pasta or Steak and kidney pies? (Would really like an answer to that to confirm the testing that I am currently trying)
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you obviously know, the most difficult thing is taking it one day at a time. Seems a shame that the healing isn't coming any faster, but it is what it is. Hope the time on the stationary bikes comes real soon and then ends real soon as you get back on out there.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright
    Favorite rides in the stable: Indy Fab CJ Ti - Colnago MXL - S-Works Roubaix - Habanero Team Issue - Jamis Eclipse carbon/831

My Bikes
    Kona Unit single-speed Frankenbike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six weeks since my last (first week of June when I had my accident). I took my first ride yesterday evening (with the blessing of the physical therapist). I'm hoping to get my recumbent soon & re-start by cycling program in full.

You'll get back - just keep working.