Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be it ever so humble...

It's not expensive...or exotic...or carbon or titanium...or even new...

But it's MINE!!

My second-hand eBay-purchased '04 Giant OCR2 arrived yesterday. Put it together, checked the hubs & derailleur, cleaned/lubed the chain et al, adjusted the seat and stem and took it for a quick test spin after dinner. WOOHOO! Nice to have a lithe, quick road bike under me again. The shade of my late lamented lugged steel Raleigh Competition is smiling on me in spite of my alloy apostacy.

We all know what an OCR looks like so a picture seems unneccesary.

I guess adjustable stems like that on the OCR are declasse to serious roadies, but between the stem angle adjustment and the vertical spacers it seemed easy to get a height/reach that felt good, at least on that quick and dirty test.

More sorting will be needed of course. For one thing, the pedals are Look and my cleats are Shimano (I took the pedals off my hybrid to ride it). Off to the LBS for cleats.

Was hoping to do a club ride tonight & see how she feels on a "real" ride but storms are moving in. Oh well...there's another one tomorrow.

Hmmm...Does "OCR" mean "Old Cranky Rider"?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcoppola
    We all know what an OCR looks like so a picture seems unneccesary.
    WRONG!

Pictures are required along with a piece of blueberry pie in celebration!

Congrats on your new bike!

All my stems are adjustable. So, you think I am not classy?
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What fox said.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not expensive...or exotic...or carbon or titanium...or even new...

But it's MINE!!

WOOHOO! Nice to have a lithe, quick road bike under me again.
    Hmmm...Does "OCR" mean "Old Cranky Rider"?

+1 to the woohoo, and congrats! BTW, OCR really means "Offically Cool Rider".
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, OK...picture will follow once the weather clears up.

Perhaps I'll even pose it in front of a pie shop! There are two good ones nearby (yes, I am blessed).
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, OK...picture will follow once the weather clears up.

Perhaps I'll even pose it in front of a pie shop! There are two good ones nearby (yes, I am blessed).
    Not been here too long and your learning.
    By the way- It is easier to change pedals than cleats. Last time I decided to replace my cleats- it cost me a new pair of shoes. Should have left the old cleats on and bought a new set of shoes and cleats- Then I would have had 2 pairs of cleated shoes instead of 1 pair of shoes plus 1 pair of shoes with messed up fixings that required the after market replacement bolt fixings that I no longer use as they have a lump of metal sticking into the sole of my foot, and 3 messed up drill bits. The new shoes still need running in after 2 years use aswell.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Not been here too long and your learning.
    Nah. As a pie lover myself it kinda leapt out at me here.

By the way- It is easier to change pedals than cleats...
    Mine took maybe 10 minutes. Road shoes had the inserts. You must have just had a really bad day!

Rain held off so I was able to do the club ride tonight. Well, half of it: a recent bout of bronchitis has set me back a bit. Anyway, the bike was a joy. Some sorting to do of course. I think I had a bit too much weight on my hands. And I need to adjust the new cleats - pedaling a bit forward of the ball of the foot & got a little hotfoot (a first). Off to review bike fitting info...

Maybe a picture or two tomorrow posed in the appropriate setting. Pie is, after all, the ideal day-after recovery meal.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats!! I've been looking for some Giant OCR's for my kids.....they are excellent value!!

I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of yours!!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, you asked for it...

More about the bike. By the time I paid shipping I could almost have gotten a new one, but it came with extras: Wedge seat bag, spare tube, CO2 inflator and spare cartridge, Cateye Mity8 computer, upgraded pedals. Seller also replaced the original Xero wheels with Shimano WH 550 hubs and rims. I know that's Shimano's "value" set so not sure it's an upgrade. He said a curb encounter knocked one of the Xeros out of true so he got the Shimanos and kept the Xeros for spares. It does not seem to have harmed the bike in any way. Rides great and has very minor wear/chips on paint.

I have the bars kind of high for now to get used to the whole drop bar thing again. I suspect I'll need a shorter stem down the road, too.

Now really, don't you think a nice rounded body shape is more aerodynamic than those skinny, angular "pro" riders? Plus you carry your own energy reserves.

No, I didn't wear the Lycra into the joint. Woudn't want to shock the customers.

Oh, what pie did I have today? Triple berry a la mode.
    Last edited by bcoppola; 07-21-06 at 12:23 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice.

There is a Stanford Study which shows that the more "angular" bicycle riders have much more wind resistance than those of us who have been aerodynamically streamlined by the pie technique.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a beee-oooootiful bike! I love how you added some helpful text as well, and I agree about the round-sizing. Works for me! Congrats on a great purchase and may you have thousands of satisifying miles aboard your new bike!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Oh, what pie did I have today? Triple berry a la mode.
    You my MAAAAAAAAN!!!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great bike and the wheels are an upgrade- Maybe cheap shimano but better than the originals

Just got an SCR and the compact frame is what I am used to from Mountain bikes. It rides well, and I am not a roadie- Had a similar quandry to you on Stem length, But I had several spare ones within my stock. Although I have lengthened mine- I may be changing back to the standard unit so ride a while before Changing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan