Thread: jersey impaired

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jersey impaired

I thought some might get a chuckle out of this. I seem to have a problem with jerseys. They don't often make it onto hangers right out of the dryer, so it's not uncommon to iron those buggers.

Anyone else iron out the wrinkles, or am I just sick?
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL you're joking right. Hang dry.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't put mine in the dryer - I don't think the Lycra and heat mix too well over the long term. I hang dry Lycra shorts and jerseys.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the dryer on permapress cycle with low or no heat. Seems to work fine.
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

- Will Rogers

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMF
    I use the dryer on permapress cycle with low or no heat. Seems to work fine.

Wash em on low heat and tumble dry- Brings the wicking back up so the are nice and soft--- Till the first hill- then why did I bother drying the damn thing.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Wash em on low heat and tumble dry- Brings the wicking back up so the are nice and soft--- Till the first hill- then why did I bother drying the damn thing.
    "I heard that," as we say in Virginia
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
    I thought some might get a chuckle out of this. I seem to have a problem with jerseys. They don't often make it onto hangers right out of the dryer, so it's not uncommon to iron those buggers.

Anyone else iron out the wrinkles, or am I just sick?
    No you're not sick until you do what an old co-worker used to do. He ironed his undershorts!
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

My Bikes
    Orbea Orca, Rocky MT Cross, BMC Pro,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hang mine up also..

karl

My Bikes
    Mecian
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JUst curious, What's wrong with a wrinkled jersey. Ride fast and it looks like the wind is blowing it, slow and people will just think you have had a bad night previously.
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

"Toes"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish that my physique allowed the jersey to show wrinkles.
    If round is a shape, I'm in shape.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit
    JUst curious, What's wrong with a wrinkled jersey. Ride fast and it looks like the wind is blowing it, slow and people will just think you have had a bad night previously.
    Because after commuting, I wear it at work. No I don't ride hard enough in the mornings to sweat, there's too much uphill.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had no idea people were so fastidious. I wash mine with the levis, dishtowels, socks, etc. and then throw them in the dryer along with the rest on medium heat. I do put them on a hanger when I eventually empty the dryer. DG and I need wives, like you guys......someone who will gently handwash with love all our sweaty shorts, jerseys, etc. You pampered married men!

Marriage Fantasy: I come dragging into the driveway in my still neatly pressed jersey. She stands there with an ice cold Endurox and says, "Darling, you look fast even when you're standing still. The bed is turned down."

What a life you guys must have.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    I had no idea people were so fastidious. I wash mine with the levis, dishtowels, socks, etc. and then throw them in the dryer along with the rest on medium heat. I do put them on a hanger when I eventually empty the dryer. DG and I need wives, like you guys......someone who will gently handwash with love all our sweaty shorts, jerseys, etc. You pampered married men!

Marriage Fantasy: I come dragging into the driveway in my still neatly pressed jersey. She stands there with an ice cold Endurox and says, "Darling, you look fast even when you're standing still. The bed is turned down."

What a life you guys must have.
    Errrr CC (nee GG)- I wash my OWN clothes and the wife washes hers. Sorry to disappoint you.

And the bed is turned down because after that ride I am ready to go to sleep, period!
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're absolutely right on this one...

My 2nd one meets all my fantasies and it IS quite a life

I'm not allowed to touch the washer or dryer - our biggest fights have been about my attempts to retain some sense of independence by washing my own clothes.

Our compromise is that I give her all health benefits & make her the recipient of all life insurance; she helps me maintain my illusion of control.

But you have to remember that this is the woman who laughed when I told her: "It is surprising how much service can be gotten from well-maintained medium quality parts," as she turned down the bed.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my ex-girlfriends was a beautiful girl from Slovakia. It is the culture in eastern Europe to iron everything - underwear, sheets, socks too, probably.

But I never put jerseys in the dryer. Too suspicious that they will shrink. I once had a long-sleeve jersey made in some high-tech wonderfabric that shrunk about five sizes after a bout with the dryer. Now I just hang up all my lycra stuff. It dries in one day, anyway, even indoors.

But I think a wrinkled jersey works better when you're riding. Those of you who are experienced racers know that the first thang you do when you pick up your race numbers is to wrinkle them. Yeah, you crinkle them up in a wad and then unfold them. It drives the registration people nuts when you do this to their nice numbers, but the result is that they don't flap around in the wind after you've pinned them on. So I figure a wrinkled jersey will do the same. And now you know another racing secret.

- L.

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gees, my wife does the laundry!

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
    Those of you who are experienced racers know that the first thang you do when you pick up your race numbers is to wrinkle them. .
    I've been trying that with my facial features, but no matter how much I crinkle and wrinkle them, I don't go any faster.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Errrr CC (nee GG)- I wash my OWN clothes and the wife washes hers. Sorry to disappoint you.

Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem
    Gees, my wife does the laundry!
    Darn, I get tired of put downs.

As the parents of two sons with profound disabilities, in a situation where in the past at times I worked 3 jobs and my wife 2, and we still couldn't pay the medical bills, and where we provided near-hospital care in the home for years on end, we reached certain arrangements so that we could make it through each day. One of these was that we each did our own laundry, period.

Why in the world do I feel like I have to explain myself to someone who apparently has no clue.

$#%^!@#(*&^%$
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-21-06 at 05:08 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DnvrFox...you got no splainin to do to anybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hand wash/hang dry shorts and jerseys. Wifey does all other laundry.

Maybe you single guys are luckier than you think. Read on...

Women's Study by UCLA

A study conducted by UCLA's Department of Psychiatry has revealed that the kind of face a woman finds attractive on a man can differ depending on where she is in her menstrual cycle.

For example:

If she is ovulating, she is attracted to men with rugged and masculine features, and if she is menstruating or menopausal, she tends to be more attracted to a man with scissors lodged in his temple and duct tape over his mouth while he is on fire.

No further studies are expected

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Darn, I get tired of put downs.

As the parents of two sons with profound disabilities, ..................

Why in the world do I feel like I have to explain myself to someone who apparently has no clue.

$#%^!@#(*&^%$
    Laundry or not you have no explaining to do to anyone! My hat is off to both you and your wife!!!!

You aren't just parents, but saints in my book!!!!!

How you would have enough time to ride, let alone post, is beyond me. Hope you have family, friends or some other support group to give you two an occasional break. You probably need it and certainly deserve it.

I miss having laundry arguements (I was the picky one), but I do wash my biking stuff and tumble dry on delicate and hang. Afraid if I tried to iron it I would just melt it to the iron!

It is really tough to get good crease in the lycra shorts!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fthomas
    Laundry or not you have no explaining to do to anyone! My hat is off to both you and your wife!!!!

You aren't just parents, but saints in my book!!!!!

How you would have enough time to ride, let alone post, is beyond me. Hope you have family, friends or some other support group to give you two an occasional break. You probably need it and certainly deserve it.
    Well, that was at a former time in our lives.

As most of you know, son #1 is now a nationally known attorney in the civil rights area, even though paralyzed from the shoulders down and son #2 lives in a "Host Home" with a family where he is quite happy. We provided intensive care for son #2 for 31 years (including running a specialized "day" program" for him and 16 others) - until I was 57 and the wife 59yo, and for son #1 after his paralyzing injury on his 21st birthday until such time as he could finish college here in Denver and then go to law school at Stanford. However, we still provided support while he was there in that I would assist in his moves to his summer clerkships in Los Angeles and Washington, DC, including even building a temporary roll-in shower in an apartment in Los Angeles, and things like assisting in DC when his "aide" went high on cocaine and had to be fired. He is married now and completely, totally self-sufficient.

However, my wife now has some serious problems regarding her knees. We continue with our clothes washing arrangements of old, and I actually prefer it that way.

Sorry to go ballistic over this issue. I was out of line, but it just happened to hit at the wrong time. I should have completely ignored the remark. If I could, I would delete everything, but since I have been quoted a couple of times, that is not possible.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-21-06 at 06:49 AM.