Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-06, 02:08 PM   #1
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jersey impaired

I thought some might get a chuckle out of this. I seem to have a problem with jerseys. They don't often make it onto hangers right out of the dryer, so it's not uncommon to iron those buggers.

Anyone else iron out the wrinkles, or am I just sick?
HiYoSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 02:11 PM   #2
TeflonJohn
Never Walk Alone!

Bikes: Trek 1500
LOL you're joking right. Hang dry.
TeflonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 02:29 PM   #3
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
I don't put mine in the dryer - I don't think the Lycra and heat mix too well over the long term. I hang dry Lycra shorts and jerseys.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 02:54 PM   #4
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
I use the dryer on permapress cycle with low or no heat. Seems to work fine.

- Will Rogers
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 02:56 PM   #5
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF
I use the dryer on permapress cycle with low or no heat. Seems to work fine.

Wash em on low heat and tumble dry- Brings the wicking back up so the are nice and soft--- Till the first hill- then why did I bother drying the damn thing.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 02:58 PM   #6
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by stapfam
Wash em on low heat and tumble dry- Brings the wicking back up so the are nice and soft--- Till the first hill- then why did I bother drying the damn thing.
"I heard that," as we say in Virginia
Old 07-20-06, 03:14 PM   #7
NOS88

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
I thought some might get a chuckle out of this. I seem to have a problem with jerseys. They don't often make it onto hangers right out of the dryer, so it's not uncommon to iron those buggers.

Anyone else iron out the wrinkles, or am I just sick?
No you're not sick until you do what an old co-worker used to do. He ironed his undershorts!
Old 07-20-06, 03:32 PM   #8
quickKarl
zugig

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Rocky MT Cross, BMC Pro,
I hang mine up also..

karl
quickKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 04:54 PM   #9
howsteepisit

Bikes: Mecian
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
JUst curious, What's wrong with a wrinkled jersey. Ride fast and it looks like the wind is blowing it, slow and people will just think you have had a bad night previously.
howsteepisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 06:10 PM   #10
fsor

Bikes:
I wish that my physique allowed the jersey to show wrinkles.
If round is a shape, I'm in shape.
fsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 06:30 PM   #11
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsteepisit
JUst curious, What's wrong with a wrinkled jersey. Ride fast and it looks like the wind is blowing it, slow and people will just think you have had a bad night previously.
Because after commuting, I wear it at work. No I don't ride hard enough in the mornings to sweat, there's too much uphill.
HiYoSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 06:53 PM   #12
CrossChain

Bikes:
I had no idea people were so fastidious. I wash mine with the levis, dishtowels, socks, etc. and then throw them in the dryer along with the rest on medium heat. I do put them on a hanger when I eventually empty the dryer. DG and I need wives, like you guys......someone who will gently handwash with love all our sweaty shorts, jerseys, etc. You pampered married men!

Marriage Fantasy: I come dragging into the driveway in my still neatly pressed jersey. She stands there with an ice cold Endurox and says, "Darling, you look fast even when you're standing still. The bed is turned down."

What a life you guys must have.
CrossChain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 06:58 PM   #13
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossChain
I had no idea people were so fastidious. I wash mine with the levis, dishtowels, socks, etc. and then throw them in the dryer along with the rest on medium heat. I do put them on a hanger when I eventually empty the dryer. DG and I need wives, like you guys......someone who will gently handwash with love all our sweaty shorts, jerseys, etc. You pampered married men!

Marriage Fantasy: I come dragging into the driveway in my still neatly pressed jersey. She stands there with an ice cold Endurox and says, "Darling, you look fast even when you're standing still. The bed is turned down."

What a life you guys must have.
Errrr CC (nee GG)- I wash my OWN clothes and the wife washes hers. Sorry to disappoint you.

And the bed is turned down because after that ride I am ready to go to sleep, period!
Old 07-20-06, 08:36 PM   #14
centexwoody

Bikes: 2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
you're absolutely right on this one...

My 2nd one meets all my fantasies and it IS quite a life

I'm not allowed to touch the washer or dryer - our biggest fights have been about my attempts to retain some sense of independence by washing my own clothes.

Our compromise is that I give her all health benefits & make her the recipient of all life insurance; she helps me maintain my illusion of control.

But you have to remember that this is the woman who laughed when I told her: "It is surprising how much service can be gotten from well-maintained medium quality parts," as she turned down the bed.
Old 07-20-06, 08:57 PM   #15
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track
One of my ex-girlfriends was a beautiful girl from Slovakia. It is the culture in eastern Europe to iron everything - underwear, sheets, socks too, probably.

But I never put jerseys in the dryer. Too suspicious that they will shrink. I once had a long-sleeve jersey made in some high-tech wonderfabric that shrunk about five sizes after a bout with the dryer. Now I just hang up all my lycra stuff. It dries in one day, anyway, even indoors.

But I think a wrinkled jersey works better when you're riding. Those of you who are experienced racers know that the first thang you do when you pick up your race numbers is to wrinkle them. Yeah, you crinkle them up in a wad and then unfold them. It drives the registration people nuts when you do this to their nice numbers, but the result is that they don't flap around in the wind after you've pinned them on. So I figure a wrinkled jersey will do the same. And now you know another racing secret.

- L.
lhbernhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 08:59 PM   #16
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Gees, my wife does the laundry!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-06, 09:12 PM   #17
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
Those of you who are experienced racers know that the first thang you do when you pick up your race numbers is to wrinkle them. .
I've been trying that with my facial features, but no matter how much I crinkle and wrinkle them, I don't go any faster.
Old 07-20-06, 09:45 PM   #18
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Errrr CC (nee GG)- I wash my OWN clothes and the wife washes hers. Sorry to disappoint you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Gees, my wife does the laundry!
Darn, I get tired of put downs.

As the parents of two sons with profound disabilities, in a situation where in the past at times I worked 3 jobs and my wife 2, and we still couldn't pay the medical bills, and where we provided near-hospital care in the home for years on end, we reached certain arrangements so that we could make it through each day. One of these was that we each did our own laundry, period.

Why in the world do I feel like I have to explain myself to someone who apparently has no clue.

$#%^!@#(*&^%$

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-21-06 at 05:08 AM.
Old 07-20-06, 09:58 PM   #19
dauphin

Bikes:
DnvrFox...you got no splainin to do to anybody.
Old 07-20-06, 10:35 PM   #20
Louis

Bikes:
I hand wash/hang dry shorts and jerseys. Wifey does all other laundry.

Maybe you single guys are luckier than you think. Read on...

Women's Study by UCLA

A study conducted by UCLA's Department of Psychiatry has revealed that the kind of face a woman finds attractive on a man can differ depending on where she is in her menstrual cycle.

For example:

If she is ovulating, she is attracted to men with rugged and masculine features, and if she is menstruating or menopausal, she tends to be more attracted to a man with scissors lodged in his temple and duct tape over his mouth while he is on fire.

No further studies are expected
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 12:37 AM   #21
fthomas 
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Darn, I get tired of put downs.

As the parents of two sons with profound disabilities, ..................

Why in the world do I feel like I have to explain myself to someone who apparently has no clue.

$#%^!@#(*&^%$
Laundry or not you have no explaining to do to anyone! My hat is off to both you and your wife!!!!

You aren't just parents, but saints in my book!!!!!

How you would have enough time to ride, let alone post, is beyond me. Hope you have family, friends or some other support group to give you two an occasional break. You probably need it and certainly deserve it.

I miss having laundry arguements (I was the picky one), but I do wash my biking stuff and tumble dry on delicate and hang. Afraid if I tried to iron it I would just melt it to the iron!

It is really tough to get good crease in the lycra shorts!!!
fthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 05:06 AM   #22
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fthomas
Laundry or not you have no explaining to do to anyone! My hat is off to both you and your wife!!!!

You aren't just parents, but saints in my book!!!!!

How you would have enough time to ride, let alone post, is beyond me. Hope you have family, friends or some other support group to give you two an occasional break. You probably need it and certainly deserve it.
Well, that was at a former time in our lives.

As most of you know, son #1 is now a nationally known attorney in the civil rights area, even though paralyzed from the shoulders down and son #2 lives in a "Host Home" with a family where he is quite happy. We provided intensive care for son #2 for 31 years (including running a specialized "day" program" for him and 16 others) - until I was 57 and the wife 59yo, and for son #1 after his paralyzing injury on his 21st birthday until such time as he could finish college here in Denver and then go to law school at Stanford. However, we still provided support while he was there in that I would assist in his moves to his summer clerkships in Los Angeles and Washington, DC, including even building a temporary roll-in shower in an apartment in Los Angeles, and things like assisting in DC when his "aide" went high on cocaine and had to be fired. He is married now and completely, totally self-sufficient.

However, my wife now has some serious problems regarding her knees. We continue with our clothes washing arrangements of old, and I actually prefer it that way.

Sorry to go ballistic over this issue. I was out of line, but it just happened to hit at the wrong time. I should have completely ignored the remark. If I could, I would delete everything, but since I have been quoted a couple of times, that is not possible.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-21-06 at 06:49 AM.