Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Comparisons...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Comparisons...

Old 07-24-06, 12:55 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Comparisons...

I've test-ridden all three of the bikes below. Frankly, they all were pretty spiffy. They're not carbon frame bikes (I was spoiled with a test ride of a carbon recently) but they do all have carbon forks and Shimano 105's, both of which i've decided are 'must haves'. They all have relaxed geometry as well.

That said, none seem to have a pie holder as stock equipment.

They are fairly similar in price, and fit the budget. All three LBS's have given me great service and/or salesmanship. The Specialized LBS is 1 mile away, which is a factor, but to be fair the others are quite impressive. The Trek dealer has worked with me for a year and I trust him, and the Giant dealer did one helluva job quizzing me, showing me different options, etc.

So is it really just a matter now of going to all three dealers the same day, riding all three bikes, and seeing which one, for whatever reason, seems to be the one? Or are there some other technical factors I should consider?

The three contenders are:

Trek Pilot 1.2 ($990)

Giant OCR 1 ($1,100)

Specialized Sequoia ($1,200)

I'm still in no hurry, but I do have a birthday coming in October! (And I could always wait for a 2006 clearance sale later in the summer/early fall).

PS: If you're sick and tired of responding to my endless 'which bike should i buy' then ignore this thread.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-24-06, 01:07 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does one of the LBS's offer liftime service? My favorite LBS offers free labor and tuneups for however long you own the bicycle you buy from him - for me, this is a distinct incentive to continue patronizing his shop.
Old 07-24-06, 01:09 PM
Streetfire

Bikes: Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Gary,

I have a 2005 Trek 1200c which is really the same as the 2006 Pilot 1.2. I just turned 500 miles on it and am real happy with the bike. It is rock solid. I also spent alot of time time test riding the Sequoia and just liked the way the Trek felt to me more and it had better compnents than the Sequoia. Plus I think for the $1200 they want for the Sequoia, you may be able to pick up the Pilot 2.1.
Old 07-24-06, 01:27 PM

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS: If you're sick and tired of responding to my endless 'which bike should i buy' then ignore this thread.
DG, I think I had just as many "which bike should I buy" threads as you before I finally made my decision.

I never tried the Giant OCR but I did test ride the Pilot 1.2 and the Sequoia Elite several times before deciding on the Sequoia. I liked the Sequoia's components better, it shifted better, and it was more comfortable to me which was no small issue considering that I have back problems (one bulging disc and one herniated disc).

I was able to pick up the 2005 model for less than what I would have paid for the 2006 Pilot so it really was a no brainer in my case since I was getting a bike with better components for less money.

Good luck on your continuing search and I'm sure you'll let us know what you decide.

It's fun isn't it?
Old 07-24-06, 01:58 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just wrote a very complicated reply that actually throws the choice back to you, and clicked the wrong button and lost it. (Operator error) You have a couple of weeks before you have to do the 100 miler we have entered you in- (One of the things that happened while you were giving Floyd a pep talk)- so get down and try the bikes. Only way for you to tell which one grabs you and is the bike for you.

Edit---

Sequoai-- Good bike liked by all that have tried it and bought by quite a few

Giant-- Giant make fantastic frames and fantastic bikes but can be let down by a few inhouse components but still remarkable bikes for the money and I liked the NEW SCR so much- I bought one.

Trek have always made a good bike but not my favourite of the 3 so will not expand except to say that Trek owners do not have a bad word to say about them.

Lastly- Look out for 06 sales that will appear shortly.- or even go for an even better deal on an 05 bike now.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 07-24-06 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gary,

If there is a Bianchi dealer near you, see if you can test a Giro. It's got full 105 10 speed group. I liked it a lot. My wife really wants a Sequoia. I also liked both the Trek and The Giant. I don't think you can go wrong if you find a bike that feels right and has a "good" component group. There should be some deals coming up out there. I saw several Specialized 06 models this morning that were discounted.
Old 07-24-06, 02:18 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gary,

If you feel like it, try a Bianchi Giro as well. I really like that one. Right now my wife is really leaning toward a Seqouia Elite. I am just like you...not sure. In my case, I plan to try and at least have a 105 group on whatever I buy. That will generally put you in the 1000-1600 dollar range I believe.
Old 07-24-06, 02:19 PM
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, after looking at and trying a number of bikes I finally threw up my hands and decided that "it" would be whichever of the final three or four I could find and win on eBay (the bikes I really liked were beyond my budget new). Thus the Giant OCR2.

At least you've settled on a general frame style. That's a big first step (hallelujah!). I did the same and came to the same conclusion as you.

If it's really a toss up as far as ride and comfort go, the deciding factor(s) can be:

The LBS you prefer to deal with (free lifetime tuneups, as noted, are a good thing -- if the LBS looks like it'll be around awhile).

The color/looks you prefer.

The dartboard selection method.

The Ouija board selection method.

Or you could post a poll here, and accept the majority vote as binding!

I really think that whichever way you go by now, you'll be so geeked on your first ride you'll wonder why you agonized so long. So PULL THE TRIGGER, MAN!

After all, you can agonize later over, say, a saddle upgrade if you miss playing Hamlet Diego.
Old 07-24-06, 02:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorry bout the double "sorta" post.
Old 07-24-06, 02:39 PM

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Or you could post a poll here, and accept the majority vote as binding!

I'm ready to vote!
Old 07-24-06, 02:46 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stopped in to two different shops today looking for a Specialized Sequoia in my wife's size. Neither one had one. One shop did have a brand new 07 Sirrus (base model). I hope the folks at Specialized were on some kind of drug when they designed the paint scheme....and that they got off of it quickly before moving on to the other models....
Old 07-24-06, 03:09 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
(And I could always wait for a 2006 clearance sale later in the summer/early fall).
Go to Palm Springs. Out there it's the off season. No one buys a bike in summer in Palm Springs.
Old 07-24-06, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
One does wonder if you are ever going to actually buy a new bike, Gary. It seems like the talking may be the thing. I hope I'm wrong on this. bk
Old 07-24-06, 06:08 PM

Bikes: Trek Medone 5.2 Dont forget the Res white and Blue a Trek 7100 Hybrid and Silvr vinage Aluminum Trek with Downrail shifterand wheels that wont stay true

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Despite the poor performance in the tour I would say TREK TREK TREK..but then except for a couple rides on my friedns litespeed thats all i have ever ridden. But above all BUY a BIKE! onme with drop handlebars and at least a carbon fork. You love the sport Gary and $900.00 wont mean much in the long run.
Old 07-24-06, 07:04 PM
fmw
Hoosier Pedaler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't ridden either of the three but I think I would be more partial to the Giant simply because they tend to have more value (bang for buck) than the other two brands - at least from my cursory examination.
Old 07-24-06, 07:16 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
My view is that you won't really get a true picture of the bike on the short ride you're likely to be forced into if you go to all three shops in one day. My favorite LBS has always allowed me to take a bike I was considering on at least a 20 mile test run... often they've offered the use of the bike on one of their evening organized rides. I think you get a much better picture of the bike on a ride that lasts more than a few minutes.
Old 07-24-06, 07:24 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 or how else are you going to know that you need a new seat?
Old 07-24-06, 07:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gary,
I forgot to mention that I really liked the Cannondale Synapse alloy 2...is this getting confusing yet?
Old 07-24-06, 07:31 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOS88
My view is that you won't really get a true picture of the bike on the short ride you're likely to be forced into if you go to all three shops in one day. My favorite LBS has always allowed me to take a bike I was considering on at least a 20 mile test run... often they've offered the use of the bike on one of their evening organized rides. I think you get a much better picture of the bike on a ride that lasts more than a few minutes.
I totally agree. I have found two shops that will let me take a bike out for an hour or two to test. Unfortunately it's too damn hot right now!
Old 07-24-06, 07:40 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
GARY, I've got it! Buy all three then you can face the same decision, which bike to ride, every day for the next four or five years.

OK I won't post any more suggestions.
Old 07-24-06, 08:24 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey DG, here is what we can do....... You buy the bike and no matter which one you buy we can tell you why you should have bought something else....

Seriously, they are all fine bikes. Go with your gut.
Old 07-25-06, 12:08 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gary,

Whatcha think?
Old 07-25-06, 12:38 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
Gary,

Whatcha think?
I think it comes down to price at this point. Trek and Giant LBS's both offer lifetime checkups and minor tuneups, and Specialized probably will as well. The bikes seem pretty equivalent and I'm still too much of a novice to really notice much differences between them, and the brands are well respected, each with it's own fans.

So, for now, I'll keep my eye on each store, popping from time to time until a deal comes along I can't resist, and that's when I'll pull the trigger. I realize I'm taking far longer at this than some of you would like, but then, you don't live with my budget. The constraints make me hesitant to avoid a mistake, but what I'm hearing from the consensus here is that these bikes are all pretty good, or, as my mom used to say, "six of one, half dozen of the other." So I guess what I'm learning is there is no mistake to be made, choosing between these three, given they all fit nicely and given my style of riding.

So, I'll await a sale price, a clearance price, or my birthday to arrive. Whichever is first, wins the day. If I win a lottery first, however, I'll upgrade to carbon.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-25-06, 12:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dauphin
Gary,

Whatcha think?
Thanks a lot, dauphin. Just get him going again...

Last edited by Big Paulie; 07-25-06 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-25-06, 06:29 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as brands and frames you probably are not going to make a bad decision with any of these bikes. Do any of them stand out as far as what group you get or other odds and ends. When I was looking I went with the Trek 2.1 because I could get an Ultegra RD and a CF fork, stays and seat post for the same price that I would be getting all 105 and all AL parts from the others. Also it was end of year and they sold it to me for $1,000

2013 Noah RS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.