Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wacky weather weekend check......

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-28-06, 06:22 PM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's suppose to be too darn hot here this weekend...... I'm gonna have to set my alarm early (actually I'm a naturally early riser) and get my 30 miles in before 10. Oh well early morning rides are kind of neat..... less traffic. (There is always a silver lining)
Old 07-28-06, 07:03 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
We're going to strike out around 6 am here in NC as well. Not sure how many miles we'll wind up with though. I guess it will leave me plenty of time to clean up the cars, change the oil and work on a few other chores....
Old 07-28-06, 09:48 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's supposed to hit 100 here on Sunday, my only day off until the bent rally. So I'll be out by 7 am to try to finish before 11.
Old 07-29-06, 03:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I dunno, guys. Does that kind of heat really inhibit your cycling? I sort of like being out in that kind of weather. I just make certain to keep my fluid and electroltyte levels up and keep on riding, so far, without a problem . . . not that there is anything wrong with getting up early and riding during the morning hours - it is a beautify time of day.

I'm curious what others would have to say about riding in hot weather, though.

Caruso
Old 07-29-06, 05:46 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't let it stop me from riding...... but if I can do my riding earlier, I do.
Old 07-29-06, 05:53 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Well, it is 5:55 am, 64F and I am OUT THE DOOR!

All of you have fun on your morning rides.

[EDIT] - Well, it is now 7:30. I spent the early morning riding at our local general aviation airport, checking out the jets, etc. Now the wife and I are going out for another ride!

[EDIT] Wife and I have finished our ride.

Currently 75F and calm. Perfection!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-29-06 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-29-06, 10:42 AM
Geezer Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm back from this mornings ride.....all showered and feelin' fresh as a daisy...... it's already 90 degrees with a heat index of 104..... and I'm suppose to put a seal coat on the driveway today...
Old 07-29-06, 11:20 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
low of 76 this a.m.

Since our nighttime temps are only dropping into the mid-70's & the tomato plants have pretty much stopped fruiting (they need minimum 70 degrees at night to flower around here) I ONLY ride early mornings. Dayto,e highs around 95 - 97 with heat index up to 107. The humidity hovers at 80 % so my sweat quotient is still really high for an 11-mile ride between 7:30 & 8:15 am.

BTW, I've got new Primus Armadillo 26x1.25 tires on the converted MTB & my time this morning for our typical run dropped 5 minutes. The speedometer is finally working and it looks like my speeds vary between 10 mph for the warmup mile to 29+ mph on the only real downslope on the route - haven't figured out how to see my average speed yet. Even waiting on the light both going out & returning, 48 minutes for 11.2 miles so the new tires are definitely faster. Running 60 lbs in them & the ride is much bouncier/harder & now I can hear all sorts of rattles upfront that used to be drowned out by the whirring of the knobby tires.
Old 07-29-06, 01:02 PM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I don't mind riding in the heat but it is supposed to hit 109 here today and the 80's are a lot better so went out early this morning. Lucky though our humidity is usually under 20% when it is hot.
Old 07-29-06, 01:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure glad I live in Florida where it's nice and cool

I did have to cut my ride short today due to another one of our "instant" thunderstorms that popped up. Between the lightning and the wind, I'm glad to be home.
Old 07-29-06, 07:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went out the door Sat morning at 6 am and it was already 87 degrees.. Humidity 81 percent... Lousy riding for me... High today 116 degrees.. I think I am done until it drops back down to 100 or so... Last number I saw was 126 dead and counting from heat stroke here in sunny CA... Air sure feels good..