Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Floyd on Larry King - NOW

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 07:06 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

I'm watching with my 11 year old son. He has become quite the road cyclists this year, and quite the Floyd Landis fan. He got Floyd's autograph twice at the Tour de Georgia this year and rode with me up Brasstown Bald to watch him battle with Tom Danielson. All he wanted for his birthday last month was a Phonak jersey. He was elated by the way the Tour de France turned out. Needless to say he is upset about what is happening and we both hope that Floyd is telling the truth and is eventually cleared. I hope so too.
If not, I hope Floyd is man enough to fess up. He owes that to the kids.
Old 07-28-06, 07:23 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'm watching with my 11 year old son. He has become quite the road cyclists this year, and quite the Floyd Landis fan. He got Floyd's autograph twice at the Tour de Georgia this year and rode with me up Brasstown Bald to watch him battle with Tom Danielson. All he wanted for his birthday last month was a Phonak jersey. He was elated by the way the Tour de France turned out. Needless to say he is upset about what is happening and we both hope that Floyd is telling the truth and is eventually cleared. I hope so too.
If not, I hope Floyd is man enough to fess up. He owes that to the kids.
I could really be way off base but I have a hard time believing he did anything wrong.......just a gut feeling. I'd be as disappointed as anyone if he did something he wasn't supposed to.
Old 07-28-06, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I'm with jppe. I'll be very surprised if he doped. And dissapointed.
Old 07-28-06, 11:01 PM

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bump
Old 07-29-06, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just trying to lighten the mood...

Floyd Landis and Ken Jennings...separated at birth????

Last edited by Big Paulie; 10-04-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-29-06, 03:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yo, Big. You think they resemble each other? They are both males, I'll give you that. To my eye, they do not look like twins, Siamese or otherwise.

Each to his own, however.

My sentiment runs with everyone else here - nothing guarantees that someone raised as a Mennonite can't grow up and break the rules - and, by definition, Floyd stretches Mennonite tradition - or he could never devote the time required to pursue such a "non-traditional" career. But, he strikes me as a guy who retains the positive aspects of his upbringing and, except for his exceptional cycling aspirations and accomplishments, leads a clean, quiet life.

I will be very surprised if this doping accusation stands up.

They pulled this stuff on Lance and could not prove it. I believe that Floyd will also prevail.

Caruso
Old 07-29-06, 03:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I could really be way off base but I have a hard time believing he did anything wrong.......just a gut feeling.
+1
Old 07-29-06, 04:51 AM
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
I like when he smiles. But when he bikes, man does he wear a game face. Serious stuff. I guess you must in order to win the TdF.

If you have read Lance Armstrong's first book, the spot testing professional cyclists have to endure and the testing they receive at the end of every stage of the race, is nearly constant. Finding time to dope between must be an amazing challenge to those who do. Considering all the unfounded bad press one American, Lance, has had to endure, we should not put it pass our French media friends to be a little bit ticked at Americans for winning the Tour 8 years in a row and something like 11 out of 20 with LeMond. Any thing to stop us or spoil the party.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 07-29-06, 05:04 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I like when he smiles. But when he bikes, man does he wear a game face. Serious stuff. I guess you must in order to win the TdF.

If you have read Lance Armstrong's first book, the spot testing professional cyclists have to endure and the testing they receive at the end of every stage of the race, is nearly constant. Finding time to dope between must be an amazing challenge to those who do. Considering all the unfounded bad press one American, Lance, has had to endure, we should not put it pass our French media friends to be a little bit ticked at Americans for winning the Tour 8 years in a row and something like 11 out of 20 with LeMond. Any thing to stop us or spoil the party.
+1 to this and the rest of the thread (so far). I guess it's time to stop eating French Fries again.
Old 07-29-06, 05:23 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McDave
+1 to this and the rest of the thread (so far). I guess it's time to stop eating French Fries again.
Yeah! I'M throwing out my Château Lafite Rothschild (1919) ...... that will teach them! (not!)
Old 07-29-06, 05:34 AM
one post at time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
But, he strikes me as a guy who retains the positive aspects of his upbringing and, except for his exceptional cycling aspirations and accomplishments, leads a clean, quiet life.
I just wish he'd wear his cap the right way around - he looks like a 14 year old skater boy. It surprised me even more with the post race interviews when the sponsors would be crying out for their name to be perched on the winner.

//kak
Old 07-29-06, 05:40 AM
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kakman
I just wish he'd wear his cap the right way around - he looks like a 14 year old skater boy. It surprised me even more with the post race interviews when the sponsors would be crying out for their name to be perched on the winner.

//kak
Excellent point!!! I remember when Dale E. was still alive and Jr. was just coming into NASCAR.... Jr. was giving an interview and Dale sr. came up and chewed him out on National TV for not wearing his sponsors cap.
Floyd needs a mentor......
Old 07-29-06, 05:51 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I heard part of an interview with Floyd on TV, and it really makes me think he is telling the truth, or he is a great actor.

He was asked "Have you ever used performance enhancing drugs?"

His answer was to sputter a bit and say, "I'm going to say no."

He doesn't seem to be a good liar!

It sounded genuinely like he may have done something long ago,and it bothered him not to be able to admit it because of the current situation.

We should know in the next week or so...

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-29-06, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Wathced a re-run of the show from start to finnish. Floyd has my respect just for dealing with the whole Larry King persona. He's handling a tough spot. I was eager to hear the Lance phone call on the show. As I listened to it, I thought was being pretty supportive. I can't imagine what it must be like to have worked most of your adult life to reach a goal most people can only dream about, and then to have it turn into a nightmare. I can't believe that the lab who did the A test are allowed to have a close relationship with one of the more questionable newspapers. But, I'm sure this story is selling lots of papers.
Old 07-29-06, 11:55 AM
Banned.

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
either it is wishfull thinking or a gut feeling , but I think Floyd will be cleared. If this turns out to be a French conspiracy I will be boycotting French Onion Soup! and French Dip!
Old 07-29-06, 12:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I think all the conspiracy talk is a pretty big leap. Possible, I suppose, but not at all likely (IMHO). Assuming that more advanced tests eventually show that Floyd is clean and that the high T/E ratio is due to natural causes, the real tragedy and injustice here is the leaking of the information to the press. We should not even be aware that the first test gave an irregular result until and unless further testing verified the result. That is where the relationship between the testing lab and Le Equippe becomes very interesting. Especially, as Lance brought up in his call to the show, since this is the same lab that was recently admonished for their unethical practices in the Armstrong '99 accusations.