Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First "Real"Ride revisited

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-30-06, 07:08 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

16 years or so ago- I got taken out by a cyclist for my first "Real" bike ride. Like a fool I had let it be known to a friend that I had a bike and intended using it to get fit with. He had a bike and rode a bit so- "Why not come out with me tomorrow and I'll take you up a couple of hills" That first ride took in 1500 ft of steep climbing- or so it seemed at the time and about 25 miles. All that on an old bike- with very high gearing and only about 10 gears in any case. Don't think I sat down for a week afterwards, but my legs were aching enough to say that I didn't want to get out of an armchair for about a fortnight. I may have ached all over and been shattered but the following week I was out for another dose of the punishment. Now- Many moons later- I have just got back from the same ride, and although I do not feel as tired- Have still got the same buzz and the same wish for lower gears, that I had on my first "Real" ride on a bike.

Route takes in a couple of local landmarks so Pics are attached to show some of the reasons for liking this ride. This is a road ride so is fairly easy- providing you have low enough gearing. Starts of with a ride to the top of the South Downs- Only 800ft high and this the easy climb over 3 miles Except it is a double climb- First is 600ft, climb, about 10%, for just on a mile- then a bit of downhill followed by some flattish road- Then the second climb of 300ft with the nasty 15% just at the end of it. Drop down to the coast then and you realise how steep the hill was when you touch 50mph down the 16% gradient. You go down to Birling Gap and this is a bit of the coast that is eroding very fast. The Scene of the cliffs is the 7 Sisters and the houses on Top of the cliff used to have 200ft rear gardens. Then you climb up to the Top of Beachy Head. Another big cliff onto the sea and famed for its lighthouse and the Suicide jumpers. This is a nasty long drag that just climbs at around 5% for a couple of miles- then down into Eastbourne. Best thing about Eastbourne is Fuscardi's- My Coffee stop and yet another reason to keep riding if they can serve cheescake like this- and Doughnuts and the coffee is superb.

Then it was onto part of the ride I did not do 16 years ago to Sovereign Harbour. The harbour was not there 16 years ago and is now a housing development around a Marina. Mainly second homes for the City dwellers and if you fancy a 2 bedroom house with no garden for around $500,000, then this is the place for you. Then onto a bit of a local landmark that has been around a bit longer and is need of some renovation to make it habitable. Pevensey castle dates from Roman Times, about 200AD, but this is the place where the Normans invaded Britain in 1066, and they built their own castle on the site of the Roman one. The view through the arch is Pevensey village and quite a few old buildings within the village. From here, we were on our way home but a good interesting ride that is almost as tough today as it was 16 years ago. Took the road bike, and the hills are just as steep, just as long and just as tiring as it used to be.

Did this ride as a memorial to my friend who got me into cycling- Mike Jones. Same age as me- superb rider that Liked his riding as much as I did. Unfortunately he died 5 years ago of a Congenital heart problem, but his memory and his rides are now teaching a new generation of riders to appreciate what hills are all about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
RRBgap.jpg (28.2 KB, 11 views)
RR7sisters.jpg (27.9 KB, 10 views)
RRBHeadrd.jpg (25.5 KB, 8 views)
RRHeadtogap.jpg (13.1 KB, 10 views)
RRSnack.jpg (34.1 KB, 11 views)
RRsovereign.jpg (25.2 KB, 12 views)
RRpevcastle.jpg (31.6 KB, 13 views)
RRpevensey.jpg (44.3 KB, 10 views)

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 07-30-06 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 09:35 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride report stapfam. What was the total mileage?
The harbor village reminds me of the artificial horbor and village they created down near Brighton. I wouldn't have a place down there on a bet.
Great pics by the way.
Old 07-30-06, 10:19 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by p8rider
Nice ride report stapfam. What was the total mileage?
The harbor village reminds me of the artificial horbor and village they created down near Brighton. I wouldn't have a place down there on a bet.
Great pics by the way.
Total milage was only 30 and with the stops for photos- average was only around14mph. The Sovereign harbour by the way, Is on or just above sea level. Great number of Tower blocks are being built so people that bought a house with a sea view 5 years ago- Now look out on Concrete and the rear of a tower block. There is a risk of Flooding in this area, so people buying Ground floor apartments have bought a problem sometime in the future.
My daughter rents an apartment on this development and is on the top floor. When she moved in 4 years ago- she could see the sea. She can't now. Only good thing about this development is the number of Restaurants that have opened up to serve the tourists, and locals. That is where we are off to tonight to see if a new italian has sufficiently good pasta to put on our lists of places to eat. If not it is on the list of places not to go to.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-30-06, 12:32 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy your ride reports: and how nice to re-trace an 'original ride' again on your NEW road bike!