Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Do you ever scout routes?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-30-06, 02:44 PM
Hwy 40 Blue

Bikes: A Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe and a Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am planning to ride Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park in a few weeks. It's a big ride, for me. Tops out at more than 12,000 feet, 25 miles up, 25 down, all kinds of weather possibilities. Because of logistics, I'm going to need to ride to the town of Estes Park, Colorado (the jumping-off spot) the day before this assault. There are several routes to Estes Park from where I live, including some bus travel. One route involves 30 miles on the bike but is tough to get to, one is 42 with some tough climbs, easier to get to, one is in-between. I am thinking of going up in the car soon to scout these "day before" routes, because I do not want to wear myself out for the Trail Ridge ride.

Is this stupid? Would I be wasting gas? Should I just pick a route and go?
Old 07-30-06, 02:49 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would this be stupid?

Last year, I thought I might sign up for the Tour de Poway. Just for grins, I drove out to the jumping off point and began driving the route. It took me only a few miles to realize that I wasn't even close in terms of being in shape for this ride.

I did not sign up. I saved myself the entry fee and more importantly, the feeling of failure I would have had if I had tried to ride something I wasn't ready for.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-30-06, 02:53 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have also scouted out bike routes prior to rides. Just so I would have the peace of mind to know when there would be a hill coming up and so not to push too hard until past the hills etc. Now I do that less often.
Old 07-30-06, 02:57 PM
Hwy 40 Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. I am in shape enough to do Trail Ridge, but am wary of doing some all-day endurance test the day before. Not sure I'm up for that. I could see scouting the route, and going, geeze, if I rode this I'd get halfway up Trail Ridge and wobble off the highway over a cliff! Nah, but I'd have to hitch. Don't want to do that.
Old 07-30-06, 02:58 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Especially with those kinds of altitudes in the ride, knowing as much about what you're likely to encounter only makes sense. Checking out alternatives, where the bad weather 'havens' might be, where help might be found if, God forbid, needed - all of those would prompt me to try to know as much as I could before starting that kind of a ride.

And, as Gary said, you might find that the whole thing was more than you expected or should be done in stages rather than as a whole ride so scouting it out beforehand is prudent & well-advised.
Old 07-30-06, 03:00 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I see digital glee scouted a potential ride in his car. That is ok. But, I scout out a new potential ride on my bike. Handlebars and car wheels serve the same function. You can turn yourself around.
A role of my bike is to constantly find out new courses.
Old 07-30-06, 03:02 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Why would this be stupid?

Last year, I thought I might sign up for the Tour de Poway. Just for grins, I drove out to the jumping off point and began driving the route. It took me only a few miles to realize that I wasn't even close in terms of being in shape for this ride.

I did not sign up. I saved myself the entry fee and more importantly, the feeling of failure I would have had if I had tried to ride something I wasn't ready for.
How do you know you weren't ready for it? Only one way to find out and that is ride. The extra riding power of a group ride is fantastic. Providing you use your head and go at a pace that is sensible- These group rides are fantastic. The people around you seem to give you extra strength and you always find someone to ride with. If the person you ride with for a few miles gets too fast, or slow, you leave them and join another rider or group.

Then on top of this- You are now a rider and not a newbie- so get your entry in for this year.

As to doing a recce on a ride- This can be frightening. Just plan the route, look at a map and go. Take it at a steady pace, as you have a hard ride the next day, take enough stops for drink and food on the way. must admit that it is not the ideal preparation for a hard ride but taken with sense should not bother you.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-30-06, 03:03 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Hwy 40 Blue
I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew. I am in shape enough to do Trail Ridge, but am wary of doing some all-day endurance test the day before. Not sure I'm up for that. I could see scouting the route, and going, geeze, if I rode this I'd get halfway up Trail Ridge and wobble off the highway over a cliff! Nah, but I'd have to hitch. Don't want to do that.
I can tell you from personal experience that leaving from Boulder and bicycling to Estes Park through Left Hand Canyon and then attempting Trail Ridge the next day after overnighting in Estes is indeed a challenge. It can be done, but you have to be in tip-top condition.
Old 07-30-06, 03:07 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nice idea: but Hwy 40 is talking about what I would consider to be a pretty serious climb to 12,000 feet

What I do now to scout new rides is get onto Google Earth, chart a path so I have an idea of the distances, then my wife & I get out and ride it. But I'm riding the gentle rolling hills of central Texas & not the Rocky Mtns!
Old 07-30-06, 03:09 PM
Hwy 40 Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For you other Colorado riders, or folks who are familiar with the territory, the three routes are: Loveland to Estes, 30 miles, not a leg-buster from what I've read and heard, but no way at the moment to get to Loveland without a car; Nederland to Estes via the Peak to Peak Highway, 42 miles, is this too hard a ride, don't know; Lyons to Estes via Raymond and the Peak to Peak, 33 miles, is this too hard, don't know.
Old 07-30-06, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be less concerned about the climbs, etc. I figure I can get over anything if I go slow enough. However, I worry more about how "bike friendly" the route is. Do drivers tend to be more aggressive on that road? How much traffic? Is there good shoulder? Are the shoulders pretty clean? etc. Nothing wrong with scouting but it's no substitute for actually riding the road.

I would tend to start out by working the phone, asking the local bike folks about the various routes.

Good luck
Old 07-30-06, 03:15 PM
Hwy 40 Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can get all the way to Nederland on a bus and start that ride fresh before 9 a.m.
Old 07-30-06, 03:17 PM
Hwy 40 Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stevie, all the routes are good for cycling, especially the Peak to Peak. Wide shoulders, smooth road, gorgeous scenery.
Old 07-30-06, 03:25 PM
just over the next hill

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course Kansas City is not anything like the Rocy Mountains. I didn't know if I could ride safely over a bridge on a long course that I was planning. The people I talked to didn't know if there was a shoulder or sidewalk. Google earth was not clear enough. So I rode down to the bridge to check it out. There was a sidewalk, so I was confident when I set out on that route a few weeks later.
Old 07-30-06, 04:07 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
How do you know you weren't ready for it? Only one way to find out and that is ride. The extra riding power of a group ride is fantastic. Providing you use your head and go at a pace that is sensible- These group rides are fantastic. The people around you seem to give you extra strength and you always find someone to ride with. If the person you ride with for a few miles gets too fast, or slow, you leave them and join another rider or group.

Then on top of this- You are now a rider and not a newbie- so get your entry in for this year.
I knew I wasn't ready because I had only been riding a few short months, hadn't gone nearly that far in one ride, and had NEVER taken on the kind of hills this ride had. All my riding was on pretty flat urban streets. I know my body and I knew instantly I wasn't in that kind of condition back then. This year? Maybe -- but I still haven't really trained on any hills.

Old 07-30-06, 05:52 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I scouted my "ride your age" passage even though it was 53 miles of FLAT! I wanted to be familiar with landmarks so I'd know where I was on the route. Maybe I'm just a wuss...
Old 07-30-06, 07:58 PM
Hwy 40 Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consensus seems to be to go ahead and scout it ... I think I'll drive some and bike some, and figure it out.
Old 07-31-06, 12:43 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I knew I wasn't ready because I had only been riding a few short months, hadn't gone nearly that far in one ride, and had NEVER taken on the kind of hills this ride had. All my riding was on pretty flat urban streets. I know my body and I knew instantly I wasn't in that kind of condition back then. This year? Maybe -- but I still haven't really trained on any hills.
Good enough reason- When you see some of the people on some of the advertised Charity rides- it does make you wonder why they entered in the first place. Recently did the London to Brighton ride in the UK and after 5 miles of a 56 mile ride- I saw some walking up slopes.

No need to train on hills for you though. You have the riding experience to be able to take most things in your stride, and the experience of an organised ride would get you up the hills with ease. Unless you are talking about Mountains.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-31-06, 12:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've scouted my upcoming century with 11,000 feet of climbing. My wife and I have ridden it in segments. We WILL be ready come September 16th!
Old 07-31-06, 01:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I scout new rides to check out the climbs, narrow/dangerous sections of the road, water stops, food stops, and, honestly, places to use the john. I would NEVER just go on a new ride and hope that it all worked out.
Old 07-31-06, 01:16 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Good enough reason- When you see some of the people on some of the advertised Charity rides- it does make you wonder why they entered in the first place. Recently did the London to Brighton ride in the UK and after 5 miles of a 56 mile ride- I saw some walking up slopes.

No need to train on hills for you though. You have the riding experience to be able to take most things in your stride, and the experience of an organised ride would get you up the hills with ease. Unless you are talking about Mountains.
From it's website: The Tour de Poway Fun Bike Ride in October is the premier north San Diego County cycling event, drawing over 2,000 participants from throughout the southwest. The 104, 62 and 44 mile courses climb the famous Poway grade. (8% for 3 miles)

104 Mile (Century) Over 4,500 feet of climbing, great downhills through beautiful back country avocado groves, with a scenic ride down the coast and then back to Poway on the 8 mile SR56 bike path. Five well stocked aid stations.

62 Mile (Metric Century) Begins the same as the 104 mile century-3,000 feet of climbing. Three aid stations.

44 Mile- Begins same as the 62 mile course into Ramona down Highland Valley Road and back to Poway. Over 2,000 ft of climbing and two aid stations.

Old 07-31-06, 09:34 AM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
I like to scout routs to check raod condition, traffic and lane width. There are some roads just not worth riding on, and I like to know up front
Old 07-31-06, 05:53 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Scouting out a ride by car really kills the adventure to my mind. ["Hey, I've seen all this before..." ] I normally check out state bike maps to get an idea of traffic volume. As for hills [sorry no 12000 footers here...], I find the car lets me underestimate them anyway, so what is the point?

One thing I try to do is mix a known ride with a new one. Normally, don't try to do over 20-30 miles of new route. That way, I can turn back to the known ride and the day isn't ruined.

If we all scouted out every ride, bike touring would be pretty boring.
Old 07-31-06, 06:19 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I rarely go out just to scout a route. However, if I'm in an area in which I ride I will not infrequently do some wandering to check out different roads. The one thing I will check for is pea gravel. Around this area country roads are frequently given a coat of tar and gravel and it can mess up a ride if you are not expecting it. I once crested a hill moving as fast as I could pedal only to find to late that this had just been done from the crest onward. Needless to say it made for an interesting ride down.
Old 07-31-06, 06:29 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this stupid? Would I be wasting gas? Should I just pick a route and go?
Not stupid, makes sense, I've done it.

I've also "scouted" my route after a ride! Just to check distance by car odometer, and see how the subjective sense of grades compares in the car with what I experienced on the bike. (Tho I do this a lot less after I discovered g-map pedometer) Anyway, if what you're doing is stupid, probly scouting after the ride is stupider!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.