Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Can you slid on a Brooks

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Can you slid on a Brooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 08:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Can you slid on a Brooks

If the Brooks saddle leaves a butt print can you move around on them? Thanks again George
Old 07-30-06, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From my experience.....sliding was easy. In fact, way to easy for me. I didn't like what I thought of as slipperiness. Other users like that quality. When the saddle absorbed some sweat, it became a little less slippery.
Old 07-30-06, 08:41 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Short answer: yes

Long version: Yes, but you won't want to because you won't need to.
I think most people squirm around because they are uncomfortable. The whole idea behind (no pun intended) leather is that it wicks moisture away from the rider that otherwise gets hot and sticky with a synthetic model, causing rash and other nasty developments. The slickness of finished leather helps to get air between the rider and the saddle. That's another reason NOT to over soften the hide. It will form to you but it should remain firm to the touch of the hand. In other words, don't try to make it a butt-sling by using 'conditioners' on a perfectly good saddle.
Old 07-30-06, 09:11 PM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fresh out of the box they are slicker than greased owl sh*t! I found it easier to wear regular denim or canvas riding shorts until the 'new' wore off the saddle...lycra riding gear was way too slick at first. But they get better with each ride, until like mentioned above, you have a 'spot' that just fits and sliding is something you used to have to do on all those other saddles...
Old 07-31-06, 10:00 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
When a Brooks saddle is nicely broken in, as all three of mine are, it has what I would call ideally "neutral" sliding characteristics, i.e., it will hold you in place, but permit you to lift slightly and to slide as desired. (I like to slide back a bit for hard braking on a descent, for example.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-01-06, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have three B-17s, and they're all comfortable and allow sliding as far as I need to slide. As another post said, they're slippery out of the box. It soon wears off, but if it bothers you, a coat of Proofhide (Brooks' leather treatment) will help you stick.
Proofhide, by the way, should be applied only once or twice a year--it's not a weekly maintenance requirement or anything like that. Grant Petersen at Rivendell has ridden Brookses for 30 years, and he says more than two applications a year shortens the life of the saddle.