Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yet another Brooks question

Iíve been using a Champion Flyer on my mountain/commuter and a B-17 on my road bike. They both broke in great and I have had no problems for two years. About two weeks ago right before I was going on the RAGBRAI I was diagnosed with a prostrate infection. The doc seems to think it could be caused by my bicycle riding and recommends a softer seat. Anyone else have any similar problems? Could it be the saddle or my age? Can you release the tension on the B17 to give the saddle a little more clearance (or sag) in the prostrate area?

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, the saddle probably isn't the cause of the infection, but it may not be helping the situation. If you find the saddle comfortable (sans infections), then the saddle probably isn't causing significant issues.

Unless the doctor is a cyclist her/himself and knows about riding, I'd let my doctor treat the infection with medication, and go ride (but not excessively). In fact, that's what I did the last time I was in your situation. The riding made no discernable difference in my infection recovery time that I could tell.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Print out Sheldon Brown's excellent article on saddles and show it to your urologist. A softer seat may well exacerbate your problem. Brooks rules!

1959 Capo: Brooks Pro
    1960 Capo: Ideale (France's answer to Brooks)
    1970 Peugeot: Brooks Competition
    1988 Schwinn: Brooks Team Pro
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069