Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Century!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

First Century!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 01:04 PM
bobkat

Bikes: Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First Century!

My wife and I did the MS 150 this weekend with the century option on the first day! I was jubilant, especially since I was in a wheel chair and just graduating to a walker only 2 years ago. Thanks to my bent, and my wife's encouragement, we did it!
The first day had a low overcast and was very muggy, but the temp only went up to about 94. The last 20 miles or so got pretty hot and humid, but doable, despite three flats on my wife's new bike. We mnaged our first century, though!
After a stop at the LBS for new Kevlar belted tires, the second day day dawned bright and cloudless and even more humid than the first day, and the temp hit a searing and humid 103 by the end of the 75 miles!
175 miles in two hot humid days was plenty for this beginner old timer, made even better by raising over a thousand bucks for the MS foundation!
Now for the 400+ mile CANDISC next week.......
Old 07-31-06, 01:13 PM

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats to you both!

You have every right to be proud considering where you were two years ago. But ,even if that weren't the case, it was quite an accomplishment.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-31-06, 02:48 PM
Riding behind enemy lines

Bikes: Orbea, Trek, Cadex, Colnago, Schwinn, Specialized, Poghliaghi, Kellog, KHS, Kellog, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome! Between your rides and the good work for a great charity you have much to be proud of!

Armstrong never got caught cheating.
That probably makes him as good a cheater as a cyclist.

-- Some guy at the Dallas Crits
Old 07-31-06, 02:58 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Well done!
Old 07-31-06, 03:34 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Your riding a bent so you would not have the proverbial problem of Butt ache on the second day but sure is some couple of days riding. Surprised you even made it to the second day!!!! I know I wouldn't with the number of beers I would have taken after the century.

Well done and For the 400- carry a few spares with you. A fresh set of legs would not go amiss if you can find them.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-31-06, 06:07 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
That's awesome!! Very well done! I did my first century on a MS ride a few years ago as well. With the ride over to the motel it turned out to be around 114 miles. All I can remember is how well I slept that night. I'm sure you did too!
Old 07-31-06, 06:26 PM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!!. That sounds like quite an acheivement to me. Weather that hot can take it all out of you making the ride no fun, but you both pulled it out!
Old 08-01-06, 06:31 AM
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent, that is more riding than most people do in year. We get so use to BF'ers who ride every day but I bet if you tell your friends you rode 175mi over the weekend they will look at you with awe.

2013 Noah RS
Old 08-01-06, 02:55 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a really impressive ride -- not just the distance, but especially the conditions. 103 degrees and humid! Congratulations.
Old 08-01-06, 03:20 PM
Get A Life - Get A Bike

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi San Jose, '87 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=bobkat]My wife and I did the MS 150 this weekend with the century option on the first day! I was jubilant, especially since I was in a wheel chair and just graduating to a walker only 2 years ago. Thanks to my bent, and my wife's encouragement, we did it!QUOTE]

And here I thought I was the shiznit with my 75 miles in the heat Saturday. I'm humbled by your acheivment.

Way to go!

Steve
Old 08-01-06, 09:23 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stonecrd
Excellent, that is more riding than most people do in year. We get so use to BF'ers who ride every day but I bet if you tell your friends you rode 175mi over the weekend they will look at you with awe.
Great going Bobkat! When I did 146 miles in three days a couple of weeks ago and told some people at work they thought I was certifiable. And like your ride one of my days it was 103. I just don't think much about it until people give you this funny look saying you are over the top. Us BF people must be really special.