Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classic Northern Colorado ride

What a great day for a ride! The heat wave has broken here in Colorado (sorry for those on the East Coast), and the temperature here in Ft. Collins was in the low 60's at 6am, going up to only about 80 today. Not much wind and some high clouds to provide a little shade. Absolutely a perfect day for biking.

Since I'm between jobs for a few weeks, this was the day to tackle a climb I've never done, and frankly, even earlier this year, didn't believe I could do. It's a lightly travelled road north of Ft. Collins called Rist Canyon. The main climb goes from roughly 5000ft to 8000ft over 9 miles, and some parts are very steep.

I got going at 6am this morning, got to the base of the canyon in an hour, and started climbing, and climbing, and climbing. Now, I'm not a very light guy, still tipping the scales at 200lb even after losing about 20lb, so I was certainly not zipping up this hill. But this ride was a challenge I wanted to take on after I started losing weight, and the scenery is lovely. Very rural, even being so close to the city. From the top is a great ride down through more rural scenery in Buckhorn canyon, then a few short climbs to Horsetooth reservoir, and home again. 57 miles and a bike time of 4 1/2 hours.

Here's the basic route:
    http://www.coloradocyclingfestival.c...rist_tour.html

I keep intending to bring a camera, but once again I did not.

Nick

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice job!

That's a pretty long climb you did there. Keep up the great riding!! Good to see you putting that time to terrific use.

My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nick,
    I've lived here for 15 years, and still haven't done that ride. Next time you go, let me know. I'd like to do it too. I've shyed away from long climbing road rides, because for years, I only had a mountain bike. Now I have a recumbent, which isn't the greatest for climbing, but I rode down to Colorado Springs last week, and was able to negotiate the mountains fairly easily, albeit in a pretty low gear.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least part of that ride is a charity fund raiser on 27 August. Lots more info here.http://www.math.colostate.edu/~estep/hdd/2006_hdd.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilfreeandhappy
    Nick,
    I've lived here for 15 years, and still haven't done that ride. Next time you go, let me know. I'd like to do it too. I've shyed away from long climbing road rides, because for years, I only had a mountain bike. Now I have a recumbent, which isn't the greatest for climbing, but I rode down to Colorado Springs last week, and was able to negotiate the mountains fairly easily, albeit in a pretty low gear.
    That would be fun, although I'm not in a hurry to ride it again soon The grade changes a fair amount as you might expect, but I was down to 3-4 mph in a couple places. There's a steep section to a false summit near the top (very annoying), and another steep section right at the top. Low gears are a good thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnMerlin
    At least part of that ride is a charity fund raiser on 27 August. Lots more info here.http://www.math.colostate.edu/~estep/hdd/2006_hdd.html
    There are a couple of organized rides that go up Rist Canyon: The link I originally posted is on Aug 12th, and then this one for the Horsetooth Double Dip on the 27th. Since I've now made it up Rist, I'm planning on doing the Double Dip ... next year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am on vacation in Colorado. I had the pleasure of renting and riding a moutain bike in Boulder. The view was wonderful. I had some problem getting up the hills ( I will pratice more when I get home.) I am impressed by all of the bike paths in the city. I wonder if people here truly appreciate what they have in this city. I love it! I wouldn't mind living here.

Gas, the price of a can of beans.

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have driven up Rist Canyon many times.

Man, that is a real challenge to bicycle up. The road is quite narrow, twisty and steep.

Was there much traffic? Any problems with cars passing you?
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    I have driven up Rist Canyon many times.

Man, that is a real challenge to bicycle up. The road is quite narrow, twisty and steep.

Was there much traffic? Any problems with cars passing you?
    Sorry to be slow replying -- I've been out of town for a few days.

I went on a weekday morning. There was very little traffic, and most of it was coming down, so it was not a problem at all. I like to think (hope, anyway) that drivers in Rist canyon are used to seeing cyclists.

Nick