Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-03-06, 09:06 PM   #1
dbmcclus

Bikes: Trek Pilot 2.1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Biking in Bar Harbor, Maine

I am going to Bar Harbor Maine next week for a vacation. I have heard about the great biking there in the Acadia National Forest and also along the coast. Has anyone biked there? Thanks.

Dennis
dbmcclus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 09:19 PM   #2
velonomad 
Older I get, Better I was

Bikes: '14 BD Lurch Fatbike, '10 custom road,'06 custom expedition, '94 Yokota Tandem, '88 custom MTB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Acadia National Park is covered with old carriage trails, definately worth doing. You can also ride from Bar Harbor over to Southwest Harbor and back through Seal Cove to Somes. Best to do road rides early before the tourists clog the roads. There are several ferries that take you to the surrounding islands, but most don't have more than 5 miles of road to ride on
velonomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 10:08 PM   #3
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I have not done it on a bike but the climb from Bar Harbor up to the top of Acadia looks very doable. There wasn't much traffic on the road when I was there a couple years ago.
jppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 06:56 AM   #4
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Location: Ascending or Descending the NH Mountains NW of Concord!
Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & a Lonely '83 Santana Tandem (* Ed.)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
The Carriage roads are great. I'll miss riding them for the first summer in three years. None are paved so riding with thin road specific tires would be a tough go. MTBs with slick or little tread 26 inch tires or hybrids with wider 700c are better suited. Also, take a pack or if you have a rack and bag for snacks and extra water. There are only a few places in the park to stop for refreshments, and I think I've only seen one that was close to the Carriage roads. If you are staying right in Bar Harbor, you can ride your bike to one of the Carriage road entrances (about a mile away). Maps are available and very helpful. Take your camara. There are many spectacular sights.

Visit my websites:
FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com
pastorbobnlnh is online now   Reply With Quote