Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Biking in Bar Harbor, Maine

I am going to Bar Harbor Maine next week for a vacation. I have heard about the great biking there in the Acadia National Forest and also along the coast. Has anyone biked there? Thanks.

Dennis

Older I get, Better I was velonomad's Avatar
    My Bikes
    a bunch of them, most made by me, a couple made by others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acadia National Park is covered with old carriage trails, definately worth doing. You can also ride from Bar Harbor over to Southwest Harbor and back through Seal Cove to Somes. Best to do road rides early before the tourists clog the roads. There are several ferries that take you to the surrounding islands, but most don't have more than 5 miles of road to ride on

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not done it on a bike but the climb from Bar Harbor up to the top of Acadia looks very doable. There wasn't much traffic on the road when I was there a couple years ago.

My Bikes
    Vintage Schwinns, Classy Cannondales, & an '83 Santana Tandem
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Carriage roads are great. I'll miss riding them for the first summer in three years. None are paved so riding with thin road specific tires would be a tough go. MTBs with slick or little tread 26 inch tires or hybrids with wider 700c are better suited. Also, take a pack or if you have a rack and bag for snacks and extra water. There are only a few places in the park to stop for refreshments, and I think I've only seen one that was close to the Carriage roads. If you are staying right in Bar Harbor, you can ride your bike to one of the Carriage road entrances (about a mile away). Maps are available and very helpful. Take your camara. There are many spectacular sights.
    Bob
    Dreaming of Summertime in NH!

Visit my websites:
    FreeWheelSpa.com orpastorbobnlnh.com