Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crotch UpDate !

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Crotch UpDate !

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crotch UpDate !

Because of the unprecedented and heartwarming interest in the ups and downs of my private parts (would that women were as interested), I thought I'd publish an informational update-- The Numbnut Newsletter. Thanks for 3 pages of (mostly) serious discussion and advice on my thread.

Taking a closer look at my old Regal I've (surprize) noticed the padding has become hammered over the years (kind of like your wife's arm could fall off and you wouldn't notice for a long time)-- so I've eBayed a Max Flite saddle a la jppe. If that fails, then there's Koobi, Alias, etc. A&D ointment has been very helpful; I'll continue to smear it around as lubricant for longer rides. I've dumped two pairs of questionable shorts.

After about a week where I couldn't sit on a saddle, I began with 30 mins on the trainer every other day, worked my way up to 60 mins without pain (I spend one minute every 5 out of the saddle). Next week I'll hit the road and work my mileage back up. I've missed the Saturday morning grupetto metrics.

That's it. See how it goes. (BudBent....don't tell anybody, but at an emotional lowpoint in my recovery, I was checking out 'bents online. Our secret).

Last edited by CrossChain; 08-04-06 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-05-06, 10:03 AM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know you're still hangin' in there...
Old 08-05-06, 04:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For many years I used a Flite Titanium. Then after surgery I could not use it for a year by which time it had gone hard in the wrong places- In the meantime I had bought numerous saddles which worked for a few weeks and then as the body adjusted back to normal- No longer fitted. In the end I went back to my LBS and nearly bought another Flite Titanium to run in a again but was persuaded to buy a new flite saddle with a little gel and the Pelvic cutaway. Just been out to check it and it is a Flite Titanium called a Max Gel. Just goes to prove that Once a saddle type is found- you stay with it. Incidentally- the new road bike has a Selle Italia Provit saddle fitted as standard. No complaints yet and it is the same shape and form as the original Flite saddle.

Incidentally- Whilst trying out the saddles after the surgery- I found a fantastic one that worked. Put it on the Tandem and it was fine for a couple of weeks. The day I found out ot was not suitable was the day of a 100 miler and I could not ride again for a month. The pain from a saddle for that length of time gave the Numb nuts sydrome a whole lot of meaning. Didn't matter after about 60 miles when the syndrome came in but the Pain it caused afterwards was horrendous.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-05-06, 05:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
The pain from a saddle for that length of time gave the Numb nuts sydrome a whole lot of meaning. Didn't matter after about 60 miles when the syndrome came in but the Pain it caused afterwards was horrendous.
Amen !!

I've ordered a Max Flite Gel....seems a good place to start.
Old 08-05-06, 06:49 PM

Bikes: 1971 Motobecane Grand Record (frame), 1983 Vitus 979 (Bought new and built up. My son still rides it), 1978 Raliegh Roadster (complete but totally torn down right now. 28" wheels, Surly Cross Check ( my love. What a bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CrossChain, I know you have been riding since they switched from high-wheelers to diamond frames. So you remember when we were young (me in the 60-70's). We did not talk about these problems and I don't see these conversations on the 50- forums. Could it be that our privates are hanging lower than they were then; like the ones on the old Blue Heeler sleeping under the front porch?

Just a light hearted way of asking do you think that, because we have been riding longer than many of the cyclist in other forums, we are experiencing the ramifications of this particular sport lifestyle?
Old 08-05-06, 07:41 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by turtleguy54

Just a light hearted way of asking do you think that, because we have been riding longer than many of the cyclist in other forums, we are experiencing the ramifications of this particular sport lifestyle?
In other words, Turtleguy, we've just worn out our behinds over the years. Down to the bone so to speak. It's certainly possible that years of riding lead to aggravations and overuse-- or maybe not. Maybe slotted saddles were invented for people whose bodies and appendages have begun to hang lower.

I don't recall there being so much furor over saddles years ago. Fewer choices, lower expectations for comfort.....generally I think people just accepted "long-ride" butt stoically. Brooks, Ideale, etc. leather saddles, just like now, weren't appropriate for everyone then either.

Maybe increased comfort and convenience and a broader array of OCP accessories have helped expand cycling to more people. May their fannies thrive, prosper, and never whimper. I've lost all respect for my no-grit, low character, wimp a** butt. Bring on those slotted, gel saddles!
Old 08-05-06, 08:52 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CrossChain,

I think it's time you dialed down, and got yourself a cruiser with some big fat tires and a big fat seat on springs. You can get a bell, or a horn, a basket, and maybe even some baseball cards for the spokes. Whattya think?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-05-06, 09:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
CrossChain,

I think it's time you dialed down, and got yourself a cruiser with some big fat tires and a big fat seat on springs. You can get a bell, or a horn, a basket, and maybe even some baseball cards for the spokes. Whattya think?
Deege, just because you've all OCP'ed with a new set of brake pads doesn't give yout the right to rub it in to the rest of us. Besides, what makes you think I haven't been riding a cruiser all along, huh?!

Keep in mind, coaster brakes don't need new pads.....take that!
Old 08-06-06, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
This kind of pain is why some of us have gone to recumbents. They really do get rid of; crotch, low back, shoulder and neck pain. After some modifications, I even got rid of the hand pain. You over 50 folks who are having pain problems should give 'bents some serious consideration. bk
Old 08-06-06, 01:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
This kind of pain is why some of us have gone to recumbents. They really do get rid of; crotch, low back, shoulder and neck pain. After some modifications, I even got rid of the hand pain. You over 50 folks who are having pain problems should give 'bents some serious consideration. bk

The Realm of Pain is where we vacation.........we are BFFiftyPlus wedgie warriors!
Old 08-12-06, 11:53 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Final (hopefully) Update. Got back from my first outside ride, a 20 miler (amazing how many opportunities to stand on the pedals I found) with previously inflamed areas reporting situation mostly peaceful. I'm assuming the peace treaty between the warring surfaces will hold. [Lots of handshaking all around].

Anyway, 20 miles may not seem like much--it wouldn't have to me a few weeks ago-- now it seems like a heavenly ride. Just goes to show how relative things are. BTW--Low 70's, light breeze, usual friendly cows, only one jerkass truckdriver...idyllic morning.
Old 08-12-06, 12:19 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[Lots of handshaking all around]

Congrats on getting this cleared up. Painful & potentially dangerous, ya just gotta be careful, ya know?

Just this morning, my best partner inspected my formerly-mined site & declared the reclamation complete as well.
Old 08-12-06, 01:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by centexwoody
Just this morning, my best partner inspected my formerly-mined site & declared the reclamation complete as well.
Woody, I'm not sure which is more valuable....having that Someone of yours survey your private "property" or baking her special desserts! Nice picture of you two in Rogue's Gallery.
Old 08-12-06, 02:06 PM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Take it you have now got the new saddle. I hate to say it- but this road bike I have got has shown me that quite a bit of my rides are taken out of the saddle. Bumpy road or track- lift the weight a bit. Going Downhill and just ease the butt off the saddle. Steep hill and can't be botherd to change gear for the steep bit in the middle? Just get out of the saddle and honk.
My problem is on the Tandem. Tandem riding brings its own problems in that neither of you can do any weight shifting unless the pair of you do it at the same time and you have good communication to be able to do it at the same time. This means that you sit down a lot more than on a solo. Butt starts hurting up a hill off road and you cannot stand up and honk because the terrain will not allow it. Have you tried lifting the weight off the saddle and the pedals still go round at a high cadence because the pilot is trying to keep the power on? Tandem brings a lot of problems and mainly to the butt. That's why I have an armchair on the thing and a good suspension post and I still get the odd problem after about 60 miles.

Attachment is of my seat post- 3" of suspension and at the speed we go downhill- I need it. Name is a Cane Creek Thudbuster and if anyone has the need and money for the best suspension post around- then this is it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
thudb.jpg (68.3 KB, 14 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 08-12-06, 03:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stapfam....don't stokers on tandems put up with a lot of punishment from bumps....probably amplified when trailriding?
Old 08-12-06, 03:47 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Stapfam....don't stokers on tandems put up with a lot of punishment from bumps....probably amplified when trailriding?
NOT with a thudbuster. I mean it when I say that Stokers have to put up with a lot- even the road riders have potholes and a non suspended seat seat is almost out of the question. The normal up and Down suspension posts are an improvement, but only have 2" movement. This Thudbuster moves in a different arc (Back and down instead of up and Down) and since getting it, I have not felt one single bump from the trail. With a seat post like this- Who needs full suspension? Still doesn't stop the butt pain from sitting down too long though and the Numb Nutts problem still comes in after about 60 miles.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-12-06, 04:40 PM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I the only one who wonders when one can fire up the 50+ Forum without seeing a Crotch Update on it?

Old 08-12-06, 05:13 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Am I the only one who wonders when one can fire up the 50+ Forum without seeing a Crotch Update on it?
DeeGee, stay tuned for the next update. Before and After photos will be posted.
Old 08-12-06, 05:14 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
I just don't understand. I rode 102 miles today and have zero crotch pain.

Old 08-15-06, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And if you never got crotch numbness, what do you think that would imply?
Old 08-15-06, 11:58 AM
I need more cowbell.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MODS!!! Can we make this a sticky???

EDIT: Wait -- would that make it a sticky crotch update?

Old 08-15-06, 03:12 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I love the title of this thread.
Old 08-15-06, 06:57 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tell you what. Due to the tremendous response to my crotch, here's an idea. Just like for Joe's server. Send me $25 for the maintenance and upkeep of my crotch and, in return, you'll get a green star after your name and regular updates on how its doing, any new adventures, tips & pointers on keeping yours functioning optimally, new developments in crotch technology, old crotch-lore, maybe even a crotch-forum. I mean, nobody ever thought the jersey thing would fly and it seems to be up and going. Same with the old crotch.
Old 08-15-06, 07:40 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by Hask12
And if you never got crotch numbness, what do you think that would imply?
That one rode a recumbent.

Old 08-15-06, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

CC: that's the funniest thing I've heard all day. Where do I send my money?