Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Another first

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Another first

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 08:30 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Another first

I got out early this morning (6:00) and did a quick 40 miler with lots of tempo sections to work on my speed and lactate level. About 1/2 way into the ride I was pedaling along a very rural section and I heard a car approaching from my rear. When the car got up to the side of my rear wheel in the lane next to me to pass I heard a really loud noise. I literally thought the car was coming apart as it was coming around me.

A big black object was spit out from under the back of the car and I thought one of the car's tires had come apart and was thrown out. After a few seconds I could see that it was not a tire but it was a big black dog.

Apparently the dog was running out into the road coming after me and the car ran over it. There wasn't anything anyone could do for the dog afterwards. I don't think I'll ever forget hearing that sound-pretty sickening..........

I really hate it for the dog but I'm glad the fellow didn't have a chance to dive under one of my wheels....
Old 08-05-06, 09:08 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Glad you're okay. I love animals but they don't rate when it comes to human safety (in my book). Sometime back I had a blue heeler hit my pedals, and I never knew he was there till he bumped my foot. If you're on a bike and hit something, even a squirell, you lose.
Old 08-05-06, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad for you jppe, but shame on the dog's owner. Ah for the freedom of country life! Yeah, right. Let your poor dog roam, threaten and bite people, kill other pets and small livestock, and eventually get run over. Plenty of country roads around me....dead dogs or hyper-aggressive canines are all along them. It's not the dogs-- it's the people who "own" them. Personal rant. Over.
Old 08-05-06, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
hit something, even a squirell, you lose.
Must have some kind of monster squirrels where you ride..

Joking aside, just told my wife this morning NOT to swerve to miss squirrels. I figured that if you hit one it’d be better to be rolling straight on rather than in the middle of a sharp swerve. Then there’s the problem of which way to swerve. The bushy tailed rats around here go left, then right then ….
Old 08-06-06, 11:14 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Glad for you jppe, but shame on the dog's owner. Ah for the freedom of country life! Yeah, right. Let your poor dog roam, threaten and bite people, kill other pets and small livestock, and eventually get run over. Plenty of country roads around me....dead dogs or hyper-aggressive canines are all along them. It's not the dogs-- it's the people who "own" them. Personal rant. Over.
+1