Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 11-30-06, 03:45 PM   #101
Dave Shields

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossChain
Anybody read Dave Shields' TDF novel "The Tour"? Probably won't be in the NYT Review of Books but a great summer-on-the-patio read. He tries to image the pressures on riders to use performance drugs. As Greg Lemond observed in an interview last night...."if you want to beat other guys on drugs then you take drugs, too". Part of the appeal of European bike racing tradition has been the strange mix of glory and shadiness....a real carnival of human life.

Tyler, Floyd.....somehow our guys should be above this. And, yes, DG, it is discouraging and a nose-wrinkler and, if true, makes that glorious 17th stage a real sham and shame.
Hey Cross Chain,
Thanks for helping to spread the word about my books. The parallels to real life events have been bizarre. It's been a lot of fun seeing readers reaction to the pressures I tried to explain in that novel. I've received great reviews from people as diverse as pro cyclists and grandmothers who've never ridden a bike.

I'm now at work on a story about Saul Raisin's miraculous recovery from a bicycle crash induced coma. What a journey it has been.
Tailwinds,
Dave Shields
http://www.DaveShields.com
Dave Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 08:36 PM   #102
monk

Bikes:
What hurts is that Lance did so much for the sport (of course he wasn't immune from cheating accusations, either, but let's face it, the French don't like us much), and with Landis winning in the manner he did I thought the "cycling boom" in the US would continue. I just hope that this doesn't hurt. I remember when golf was for geeks and then along came Tiger now it's "cool" to be a golfer. Lance was making cycling "cool" and more accepted. I guess keeping the ball rolling is up to folks like us who love the sport . . .
monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 10:03 PM   #103
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I'm inspired by it. I plan to start doping next spring.
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 10:22 PM   #104
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
In case anyone missed this story from a couple weeks ago:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15775058/
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 12:12 AM   #105
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Shields
Hey Cross Chain,
Thanks for helping to spread the word about my books. The parallels to real life events have been bizarre. It's been a lot of fun seeing readers reaction to the pressures I tried to explain in that novel. I've received great reviews from people as diverse as pro cyclists and grandmothers who've never ridden a bike.

I'm now at work on a story about Saul Raisin's miraculous recovery from a bicycle crash induced coma. What a journey it has been.
Tailwinds,
Dave Shields
http://www.DaveShields.com
+1 for Dave's book. It was a good read and I would recommend it to all.
RockyMtnMerlin is offline   Reply With Quote