Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   An alternative to pie??? (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/217099-alternative-pie.html)

Digital Gee 08-06-06 07:45 PM

An alternative to pie???

Pie isn't always available, but today I discovered the apres-ride joy of a jar of chilled Dole yellow cling peaches in light syrup. Oh my. I had to discipline myself to save some for later! Oh me, oh my! :D

Monoborracho 08-06-06 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Pie isn't always available, but today I discovered the apres-ride joy of a jar of chilled Dole yellow cling peaches in light syrup. Oh my. I had to discipline myself to save some for later! Oh me, oh my! :D

Sometimes I eat half a jar for breakfast. The grapefruit is good too, and low cal.

turtleguy54 08-06-06 08:14 PM

Put some vanilla wafers on top and you have pie.

Pompiere 08-06-06 09:29 PM

Here in Ohio, the peaches are just about ripe for picking. Much better than the canned variety. They make an excellent pie too.

bkaapcke 08-07-06 11:05 AM

Listen to youse guys. Calories, calories. tsk, tsk! Gary, since when do over 50 guys get to have desserts Hasn't your doctor talked to you about this sort of thing? bk

centexwoody 08-07-06 11:29 AM

the 'light' syrup has to do with clear color, not calories...that kind of 'lite' is spelled differently, dontcha know? but whatever choices you prefer apres-ride is okay by me... live & let live, You didn't discover any blue hairs in it, did you?

My preference is a home-grown tomato with salt n' peppa on it.

NOTE: This should not be taken as somehow providing an appropriate substitution for PIE!

DMF 08-07-06 02:32 PM

Cottage cheese over peach slices in heavy syrup. YUM!!

genec 08-07-06 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digital Gee

DG doing a tour in Baja way back when and that was one of the favorite desserts. We would resupply in whatever store happened to show up on the ride and if there was any kind of canned fruit... it went very fast. Both the fruit and the "juice" were king.

I prefer pears or mandarin oranges... mmmmmm! Good!

bkaapcke 08-07-06 05:04 PM

What you guys need to try is some of my daughters (an acute chocaholic) 5 minute mousse. It is so easy it's rediculous.
Put into blender; 1cup Ghirardelli semisweet choc chips, 1 egg, 2tbsp sugar, pinch of salt and blend until almost smooth. Add 2/3 cup scalding milk while blending and continue to blend until smooth. Pour into small bowls (or wine glasses) and chill until it sets. Cover with whipped cream and EEAT.
Notes; It won't set with milk chocolate and Ghirardelli semisweet really has the most flavor. This will work with 1% or 2% milk.

al-wagner 08-07-06 05:10 PM

A pie is a very expensive jelly sandwich....

Carusoswi 08-08-06 07:07 PM

Pie's immediate superior is ice cream - preferably vanilla - homemade if at all possible. Ice cream will rule over pie 100 times out of 100.

If you use a knife to slice it (instead of scooping), you can build a right regular skyscraper and get, perhaps, a full gallon into (onto) a single bowl. Yum!!!

Caruso

Artkansas 08-08-06 07:13 PM

Fresh refrigerated peaches are great too. Just wash and eat!

starship 08-08-06 07:47 PM

Pie, Pie, Pie,

My goodness. All this take about pie make me fat! Humm, gues I'll ride out to flowertown (a local dive) and have some PECAN PIE! (is there any other kind?)

KenSmith 08-08-06 08:04 PM

Rhubarb cake with vanilla ice cream makes a DARN good substitute for pie DG. Hmm, I'm going to go get some right now.

Ken