I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering...

Do you ever want to just hop on the bike, and ride away, and just keep riding, and riding, and riding, pausing only to rest? A ride that would take you out of your home town, out of your every day life, far, far away from your routine? A ride that would take you to the gates of the unknown, giving you the chance to glance back briefly at life as you knew it, and throw caution to the wind, and ride through those gates? A ride that would change everything? Ever get thoughts like that?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call my office and make an appointment...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee
    Do you ever want to just hop on the bike, and ride away, and just keep riding, and riding, and riding, pausing only to rest?
    No pie?
    Last edited by Diego Garcia; 08-07-06 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I come...or is it me you're trying to get away from???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can run, Digital Gee, but you can't hide. The men and women in blue who pound the pavement every day for less money than they could make selling lemonade at the side of the road will find you. And when they do, heaven help you and every poor bastard you'll be locked up with, because Mister, it doesn't smell very good in the stir...and you being there won't help matters much, either.
    Last edited by Webb Diego; 08-07-06 at 08:05 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you ever want to just hop on the bike, and ride away, and just keep riding, and riding, and riding, pausing only to rest? A ride that would take you out of your home town, out of your every day life, far, far away from your routine? A ride that would take you to the gates of the unknown, giving you the chance to glance back briefly at life as you knew it, and throw caution to the wind, and ride through those gates? A ride that would change everything? Ever get thoughts like that?
    DG:
    Now you know why some of us go across the country. Only the almighty Dollar is stopping me from doing it more often.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No.

I really like my wife, kids, and job. So unless they all get to go along with me I wouldn't want to take that ride.

Your mileage may vary.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    No.

I really like my wife, kids, and job. So unless they all get to go along with me I wouldn't want to take that ride.

Your mileage may vary.
    +1
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you ever want to just hop on the bike, and ride away, and just keep riding, and riding, and riding, pausing only to rest? A ride that would take you out of your home town, out of your every day life, far, far away from your routine?
    How do you think I got to Denver from San Diego?
    Gone - email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for new group of old 50+ folks

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    No.

Your mileage may vary.

That's why I don't actually do it. Well except for the liking the job part. But damn right I want to sometimes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I favor delusions. I'm just not good enough at them yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About once every five minutes....

My Bikes
    Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To paraphrase Leonard Cohen,

"To take a ride so wild and far that
    I'd never have to take another!"

I try to have that attitude everytime
    I go out. And once a month I take
    an extra long ride on a little different
    route, just to smell the roses.
    Ned Goudy, Glendora, CA USA
    Lightning Thunderbolt, Easy Racer EZ1, Rhoades Car
    http://www.rhoadescar.com/4w1p-j.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nedgoudy
    To paraphrase Leonard Cohen,
    "To take a ride so wild and far that
    I'd never have to take another!"
    Dear God!!! Would you by any chance have Lenny's cell?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do it once a year but the training to do it gets me and after about 8 hours All I want to do is go home.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you ever want ... A ride that would take you to the gates of the unknown, giving you the chance to glance back briefly at life as you knew it, and throw caution to the wind, and ride through those gates? A ride that would change everything?
    Not to get overly dramatic about it...

But what you're describing is a parable of the experience of cycling over 50. The trip you imagine taking is the one you began the first time you turned over the crankarm...

My Bikes
    Trek 1200c, BMC Streetfire, Gary Fisher Wahoo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not unless it was a circle route. I have to get back home for dinner and beer.
    Bike riding New England gentleman.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 1990 3 friends and I toured across the U.S. averaging 80-100 miles per day and sleeping in motels and peoples houses. This was the greatest feeling of freedom I have ever experienced. Each day was a new adventure and in the 16 years since then I have thought about doing it again soooo many times.....

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Sometimes though, I imagine my wife and I doing something like that together. That is not going to happen. So, I plan my rides so as to be back at the house when she expects me.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 except that I just know I'd get about a hundred miles down the road and wonder about my cro-moly baby sittin' at home crying her eyes out that her big dog had wandered off and, Lord knows, he wouldn't be smart enough to eat the right things, would wear a dirty collar, would roll in dead roadkill.

Or if she knew which direction I'd ridden, she'd be after me in a minute, drafting in behind me on a nice long downhill and suggesting at exactly the right moment that we should stop for pie...

But yes, DG, I used to think that everything was just TOO MUCH, too many responsibilities, bills to pay, everybody wants something & that it would be better for me someplace else. These days, my emotional investments in others give genuine value to my life and by protecting those investments, I protect those around me, too.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and this coming after a complete slump? Can't wait to see what's next!

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, used to get that feeling all the time on beautiful days when I was commuting to the office... "what if I just kept going... "

I actually did at one point. I had a regular ride I did, going out old hiway 94 to Dulzura... I would stop at the Dulzura cafe and have a beer, and then turn around and ride back.

One day I decided to keep going... OK it took a bit of planning, and I prepared for it, but essentially that was it... I just kept going. Suddenly I was touring... and the view around each corner, over each hill was new and different. I rode to Texas and saw family I had not seen in a number of years. They all thought I was nuts... but I really enjoyed it.

I have gone on and done several tours since then... but that first one was pretty much prompted by the whole attitude of "what if I just kept going... "

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, MISTER DG, you can start thinking about getting a TOURING BIKE!
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, yes I do...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast