Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+'rs Purposefully Hurting Someone in a Post? - Why?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 04:00 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

50+'r Purposefully Hurting Someone in a Post? - Why?

I guess it is just human nature, but why are there always at least 2-3 folks posting in this (and every) forum who seem to get their jollies by purposefully trying to hurt someone else while posting?

I simply do not understand this phenomenon. I hope I am never guilty, and if I am or was, I apologize.

You would think by the time someone is 50 yo, they would have lost those tendencies.

OTOH, by the time most of us are 50+, we know enough to not be too bothered by such posts, and simply ignore them.

But still, I just don't understand it.

My wife speaks of an "alcoholic personality" - something she very much grew up with as a child. There are a couple of folks here, and one in particular on USENET bicycling groups, who seem at times to be recovering from a "binge" when they post. They seem to be in a dark, dark world!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-27-06 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-26-06, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people never get out of high school. If they can make somebody else look bad, then they can convince themselves they're way cooler than they actually are.
For what it's worth, I live and ride in the town where Greg LeMond and Inga Thompson (former Olympic cyclist) grew up and trained. I've met both on the road several times. They were twice as fast as I am, of course, but they were always pleasant, respectful and helpful to me and the people I was with. They didn't NEED to belittle other riders to feel good about their own ability.
Old 07-26-06, 04:11 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
Some people never get out of high school. If they can make somebody else look bad, then they can convince themselves they're way cooler than they actually are.
For what it's worth, I live and ride in the town where Greg LeMond and Inga Thompson (former Olympic cyclist) grew up and trained. I've met both on the road several times. They were twice as fast as I am, of course, but they were always pleasant, respectful and helpful to me and the people I was with. They didn't NEED to belittle other riders to feel good about their own ability.
Whoa, did you get to ride with them at all... I have always wondered what these super competitors were like in person.

Sounds like they are just regular people, but fast.
Old 07-26-06, 05:10 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hope it isn't me. My comments tend to be smart-alec (read my signature ), but never intentionally hurtful.
Old 07-26-06, 05:20 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dminor....I am self-deputized to say that you are officially cool. "Smart alec" is a vastly different (and valued) organism than hurtful. In fact, anybody who feels the slightest self-doubt is no doubt innocent. This FiftyPlus forum is refreshingly 99% free of unpleasant posters.

Too bad DeeGee is off for a few days or we could blame him just for fun.
Old 07-26-06, 05:42 PM

Bikes: '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright, what'd I miss here? Who got uppity with who?
Old 07-26-06, 05:49 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been amazed and somewhat disappointed at the tenor that I have seen in other threads on this forum. I came to the conclusion that the 50+ bunch are a bit more civil - in all regards - than what I have seen elsewhere. As an example, go out to the Advocacy and Safety thread.

None the less, it is far to easy for some to lob a bomb over the fence in the form of an email or in this case POST with far more vengence than is called for. End results, - flame wars and bad feelings. I have seen little to none of this on this thread and hope that I do not intentionally or unintentionally "hurt someone's feelings".

I've been called names, etc. as a result of a post or two and the names didn't hurt, nor did I get angry or feel hurt. Well, maybe for a split second. But at my age, my memory is really short, haha.
Old 07-26-06, 05:59 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Baggsy
Alright, what'd I miss here? Who got uppity with who?
I probably started something I shouldn't, but here is the post of the moment and CrossChain's response.

Well, you probably just like to talk about riding more than you actually ride. So you're off to a great start.
However, it seems to me that putting a 700x28, or even a 700x32 road tire on the front wheel of any good touring bike, and perhaps raising the stem to it's limit provides a comfortable, yet efficient bicycle, for people who actually want to ride a bicycle.

Perhaps you would be better served by continuing to "post and pound away".

Originally Posted by CrossChain
I sense so much self-loathing in so many of your posts I am prompted to ask if there is anything any of us can do to help you with your bitterness? Perhaps if you rode more you might experience an endorphin flush. Good Luck.
Old 07-26-06, 06:42 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
I have to admit, there are days when reading forums (I read several) that I just feel in a bad mood and go petty on somebody. Oldtimers know it and just shrug it off, but it can be pretty mean to a newcomer or a beginner. I've gotten better over the last 15 years of usenet and www, but it still happens occasionally.

So, having said all of the above, I'd like to ask forgiveness for all of the assinine things I might say in the future.

Dennis

Last edited by Trsnrtr; 07-26-06 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-26-06, 07:01 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm probably guilty of being "shirty" from time to time, but not so much as it would sound from reading my posts. Writing, as opposed to spoken communication, is by nature more prone to misinterpretation. Since we have no voice tone, no facial expression, and no body posture to help us know when something is meant seriously vs. as humor, we often misconstrue the poster's intent, IMHO. Also, once posted, we can't conveniently abridge or elaborate on our meanings.

I take all "attitudes" on an internet forum with a grain of salt. After all, the poster may have had a really bad day that I don't know about and just be out of sorts. On the other hand, the poster(s) may just be terminally juvenile (see the road cycling forum).

Also, posters (and boy, does this shoe fit...) are just ignorant of what they are posting about. So long as the person is amenable to reason and willing to learn from those who disagree, I see no reason for sarcasm. Others are less charitable. It's OK by me - I have thick skin (matches my thick head, sometimes).

I also appreciate the humor of a really cruel "burn," sometimes. Denver decries this trait, but it is a human one. I've succumbed to the lure of posting like this myself:

Originally Posted by bannanabike
Need cyclist writers for bicycling news and information forum.
Qualifications:
-Good grammer and spelling
-Need to be a road bike protour spectator and a road bike cyclist
-Need to know healthy habits for cycling
-Need to have teamwork capabilities
If you are interested, contact me at monkeyyadon@yahoo.com
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Well, I have good grammar & spelling, which you obviously don't.

Does that give me a pass on the other qualifications?
Mea culpa.
Old 07-26-06, 07:06 PM
Banned.

Far Horizon - nothing at all wrong with that post. I always get the greatest charge out of those who vociferously complain about someone else's grammer. And, sometimes I comment. When they make the complaint about other's imperfections, they set themselves up for a "likewise" comment.
Old 07-26-06, 07:08 PM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I want to hurt you all, badly, slowly, and repeatedly. Why? Because you are old and probably all card-carrying members of the AARP bent on putting a buffet on every corner (Hey, that's a good thing!). You can count on me pummel you mercilessly at every opportunity, even if I don't actually write anything, you can bet that I am thinking it. Think of me a Bluto in the movie Popeye, singing "I'm mean, I'm mean, I'm mean..." Have a nice day, FOSSILS!!!
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 07-26-06, 07:11 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by chipcom
I want to hurt you all, badly, slowly, and repeatedly. Why? Because you are old and probably all card-carrying members of the AARP bent on putting a buffet on every corner (Hey, that's a good thing!). You can count on me pummel you mercilessly at every opportunity, even if I don't actually write anything, you can bet that I am thinking it. Think of me a Bluto in the movie Popeye, singing "I'm mean, I'm mean, I'm mean..." Have a nice day, FOSSILS!!!
Do you have some sort of radar or spy system telling you just when to stop harassing the A&S forum and pop into the 50+ forum for a SA remark, pretending you meet the requirements?

50 lashes to you!

Last edited by DnvrFox; 07-26-06 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-26-06, 07:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
...Have a nice day, FOSSILS!!!
And PROUD OF IT!
Old 07-26-06, 07:25 PM
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Chipcom,

If we ever meet let me by the first round of beers.
Old 07-26-06, 07:34 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Out their in the work world happens every day. I say it has something to do with vanity and insecurity. We all have to get used to it. Also, we have to learn how to cope with it. Usually, striking back only makes them less secure.
Recall, Readinig in National Geographic. An African community, think in Zambia. Forget the name of the tribe. It is against tribal rules to hurt othes. If you do, you are ostercized. You have to leave the group for some period of time. Enough times and you are out of the community. Think I would not mind meeting these people. And they call non westerners primitive.
Old 07-26-06, 07:42 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
While I understand the position of this thread, I simply have to say that the things that we in the 50+ forum see as attacking would not even be noticed in most other forums.

I do think that it would be an interesting exercise to figure ut an effective way to self-police, and perhaps a thread like this is the ticket. Kind of a reminder to all of us to be clear and kind in our interaction.

Thanks for raising the issue DnvrFox.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-26-06, 07:51 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Little Darwin
While I understand the position of this thread, I simply have to say that the things that we in the 50+ forum see as attacking would not even be noticed in most other forums.

I do think that it would be an interesting exercise to figure ut an effective way to self-police, and perhaps a thread like this is the ticket. Kind of a reminder to all of us to be clear and kind in our interaction.

Thanks for raising the issue DnvrFox.
Yes, the general tenor of the 50+ forum is so great, that a post like the one I referenced really stands out. And as CrossChain points out, this isn't the first time for this particular poster, There is a long history going back several years.
Old 07-26-06, 08:35 PM

Bikes: RANS Fusion, Ross Mt. Whitney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
It is against tribal rules to hurt othes. If you do, you are ostercized.
Holy crap! With a blender?

(just kidding - you should see my [uncorrected] typing first thing in the morning!)

- Dave, still working on socialization skills despite numerous "blind spots" (see profile)
Old 07-26-06, 08:45 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
As a part time brain surgeon I'm glad to offer up my service....free lobotomies for mean people.

Any takers?

....novocaine, schmovocaine...just grit your teeth for a minute.....
Old 07-26-06, 08:59 PM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, so I am now an official card-carrying member of the 50+ Forum. So when do I get to become a cantankerous old curmudgeon? I thought one of the perks of being >50 was the right to browbeat the little rugrats...

"Now Lance, he's OK, but being a little wet between the ears, ya wouldn't know that bike racing today is nothing like it was in the old days. Why, I remember back in my time when bike racers were Real Men, like Charly Gaul. One time he lost over 10 minutes on one Alpine stage, and everybody thought he'd lost the Tour! But do ya know what he did? He took off on the very first climb the very next day and rode by himself - over three or four major mountain passes - all the way to the finish line, and he came to within a few minutes of the leader, Raphael Geminiani. And then Charly beat him by over three minutes in the final time trial and won the 1958 Tour! Too bad they don't make riders like that anymore these days, ya little shrimp!"

I'm always amused by harsh criticism because I have found that the criticism says more about the critic than about the target of the criticism.

- L.
Old 07-26-06, 09:01 PM

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to see really nasty people go over to the forum at the Daily Peloton. I used to post over there but gave up after a couple of months. Much, much nicer here.
Old 07-26-06, 09:22 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I've been a SA and have disagreed with some posters(none on this forum that I remember), normally that happens only if I'm slammed first. I haven't strayed over to the A&S forum for a while, but as of late I'm noticing a tendency in the other forums to be a lot nicer than a couple of years ago.
When BROL went down last winter, a number of posters started posting on the bent forum. This included Bryan Ball himself. It turns out he had a "stalker". He was attacked instantly. One of the mods apoligized(sp?) to him about that. Anyway, on one of the other boards that I post on, it was stated that BF was a nasty place. That irritated me, but I said nothing cause that board has a number of long time posters that dominate the place. She was one of those long time posters and being new there I wasn't interested in being shunned.
Old 07-26-06, 09:24 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're the moderator & you are free to set the 'tone': a number of the other forums have 'trolls' that take their jollies from being snide or pernicious in their remarks.

As a 'relative' newbie, I'd like to think I know my place (!). Certainly most of the technical subjects discussed here I am too ignorant to participate in. One lesson I've learned with e-mails & electronic communication is that if I compose a truly fiery response to someone, it is best to let it sit, oftentimes overnight, because the light of a fresh day illumines the post for its true tone, a tone that does not communicate in any manner that I would take if I were actually face-to-face with that person.

The Tour de France forum was truly inflammatory during this year's race with Coffee Brown having to step squarely in the middle of postings to calm & state the rules & protocols. Dnvr, do not hesitate to bring up these issues now or in the future...

Tom
Old 07-26-06, 09:40 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somewhere, someone said that as a person gets older he/she gets less certain of facts.
I have seen that in the different forum, where a student thinks he knows some subject for certain, takes a very aggressive stance on that certitude. (only to see that it is wrong)
Biking issues are often subject to what I like to call "Butterfly Effect."
Small variances cause great differences in outcome.
I just done reading the book of Lance Armstrong War. It was full of that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.