Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Xy Zingers 65+

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xy Zingers 65+

Several of you had asked to hear the XY ZIngers (my a capella mens "senior" musical group).

Sadly, the recordings were very unbalanced (not our doing) so that you hear some voices loudly and some not at all. AGes range fro 66 - 76 yo.

Anyway, for what it is worth, here is our group of 10 65+ singers.

http://www.ourwebs.info/indexxyz.htm
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 01-19-09 at 08:36 AM.

My Bikes
    Kona Unit single-speed Frankenbike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the web page from your link, Denver, but not any music! Either I'm getting as deaf as my wife accuses me of being, or your music download isn't working at that link...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    I get the web page from your link, Denver, but not any music! Either I'm getting as deaf as my wife accuses me of being, or your music download isn't working at that link...
    It works for me - but it takes about 3 minutes with DSL. It will start playing automatically (once it is downloaded) on Windows Media Player. It is a *.wma file 5mb If you are using dialup, it will take a loonngg time!

The music is embedded in the web page, and plays automatically with clicking on the web page, once it is downloaded.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the direct link to the file:

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/XYZingers07302006.wma

My Bikes
    Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Here is the direct link to the file:

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox/XYZingers07302006.wma
    Not Bad! If you do a version of the
    "Wanderer" by Dion, or maybe a version
    of "Six Days on the Road" by Dave Dudley,
    and post the URL, I'd put it on my mp3
    player and listen to it when I ride. :O)

PS: Congratulations on hanging with
    a group of people you can sing and
    rejoice in life with.

Friends are priceless! Even if we only have a few.
    Ned Goudy, Glendora, CA USA
    Lightning Thunderbolt, Easy Racer EZ1, Rhoades Car
    http://www.rhoadescar.com/4w1p-j.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nedgoudy
    Not Bad! If you do a version of the
    "Wanderer" by Dion, or maybe a version
    of "Six Days on the Road" by Dave Dudley,
    and post the URL, I'd put it on my mp3
    player and listen to it when I ride. :O)

PS: Congratulations on hanging with
    a group of people you can sing and
    rejoice in life with.

Friends are priceless! Even if we only have a few.
    Thanks - it was really about 10 times better. The mike was right next to a couple of guys. The recording was very off-balance.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Denver - the direct link got y'all playing within about 30 seconds on the connection in this hotel room. I enjoyed it greatly. If you guys do more, please continue to post!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, a lady who heard us singing at church thought we were fabulous, and has invited us to sing for her family reunion of some 60 folks on September 3rd.

Hmmm! How much do you think we should charge her?

Maybe we will enter "America's Got Talent" except, perhpas we will call our entry "America's Got Talent, NOT"

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't be modest! Y'all sound good!

One conference I went to started (early on opening morning) with the presenter telling us that we couldn't learn unless we got out of our comfort zone - and then asked for volunteers to come to the front and SING (in front of about 250 people). Upon finding no volunteers, the presenter then picked four victims from the audience at random, insisting (over their objections) that they had to come to the front & sing. Once the four had assembled (looking quite sheepish), the presenter gave them a song to do, and they burst into song.

It was immediately obvious that we'd been had!! The four were a professional barbershop quartet that the presenter had planted in the audience!

The singers entertained us for a few minutes and the conference began on a great note (no pun intended). I've never forgotten that trick and plan to use it myself sometime soon.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just a BIT nervous!

Tomorrow, I will be singing for the early service congregation. At almost 67 yo, this is the first time in my life that I will be singing a solo in front of folks while also playing the guitar.

I have learned that this process is a LOT more than just playing the guitar and singing along. What I have to do is actually sing a solo on its own merits, while also using the guitar to support that solo. The playing of the guitar has to be pretty automatic or the singing quality drops considerably. I have been taking guitar lessons about 4 months now.

Well, I have chosen to play only for the early service, which has about 60-100 folks in it, many of whom I know. So, at least I will be amongst a few friends. However, at 8:15 am, they are also a pretty dead audience, spread out all over the sanctuary, which seats several hundred folks.

For those interested, I will be singing:

"It is Well with my Soul."

I will be using a pick for verses 1 and 3 and a strum for verse 2.

(B is for breaths)
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-26-06 at 07:53 AM.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have played harmonica ("In the Garden" - my mother's favorite hymn) at church for both Sunday morning services. Standup mike that I grabbed & held close to the instrument in my hands, accompanied by our pianist. The sound was incredible, floating out over the congregation.

The shortness of breath that comes with nervousness does not play well with the harmonica...so after the first couple of measures, I somehow took a deep breath, consciously relaxed and just lifted my offering of joyous sound up to the Lord. That joy took over, the hair on the back of my neck stood up & if there were worldly judgments, those I left to others if they felt the need to judge the gift.

Lift it up, brother, just lift it up - someone else will take care of its reception and it will be well with all who hear...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by centexwoody
    I have played harmonica ("In the Garden" - my mother's favorite hymn) at church for both Sunday morning services. Standup mike that I grabbed & held close to the instrument in my hands, accompanied by our pianist. The sound was incredible, floating out over the congregation.

The shortness of breath that comes with nervousness does not play well with the harmonica...so after the first couple of measures, I somehow took a deep breath, consciously relaxed and just lifted my offering of joyous sound up to the Lord. That joy took over, the hair on the back of my neck stood up & if there were worldly judgments, those I left to others if they felt the need to judge the gift.

Lift it up, brother, just lift it up - someone else will take care of its reception and it will be well with all who hear...
    Thanks - those are good words!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I did the solo with the guitar and in so doing, crossed off one of my life's un"fun"ished goals.

It may be awhile before I volunteer for somethinbg like that again! Just before the performance, the thought does keep creepling through one's head, "Hey, just WHY did I volunteer to do this?"

But, as my signature line states:

~~ Some ask "Why?" ~~ The better question is, "Why not?" ~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [quote=DnvrFox]Well, a lady who heard us singing at church thought we were fabulous, and has invited us to sing for her family reunion of some 60 folks on September 3rd.

Pie! Blueberry!

I listened, sang along (high tenor) and approve. Ya'll done good!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    Well, a lady who heard us singing at church thought we were fabulous, and has invited us to sing for her family reunion of some 60 folks on September 3rd.

Pie! Blueberry!

I listened, sang along (high tenor) and approve. Ya'll done good!
    She ended up contributing $75 to our XYZ church fund! We are professionals

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please listen to excerpts of our 2008 Christmas program on a 7 minute video. I just made it "prettier" - this making of videos is sort of fun!

We will be a part of an all-day Gospel Winterfest in Louviers, CO (just south of Denver on Santa Fe) on Saturday, February 7th, if anyone is interested in attending.

Our ages are 64-78 years old.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    View a 5 minute sampler of our 45 minute concert, and the whole 45 minute concert (if desired), in Louviers, CO, February 9, 2009

http://www.ourwebs.info/indexxyz.htm