Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-06, 10:31 PM   #1
Coloradopenguin

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
End of year purchase . . . LBS lesson

I've been on the same ride (Diamond Back mtn bike) for 16 years, so when I decided to buy a new bike for my 50th birthday it was an interesting foray into the world of bikes. I identified my needs -- casual rider of about 1,000 miles per season, avg. ride of 10-15 miles 2-3 times a week, longer on weekends, western Colorado with lots of flats, with some big "hills" in between so low gearing a must, mostly paved routes but like the odd dirt path or forest road, want to do some touring and goal of a century ride this year. Did my research and settled on 3-4 different brands and started visiting bike shops within a 50-mile radius.

After kicking tires and joyriding around parking lots, I really liked the Trek 7.5 FX, but the only one available to ride was the WSD. LBS said they could order one in, if I didn't like it, I could try something else so I went for it. A couple of days later the LBS called . . . frame was out of stock, but they would make a great deal on the 7.6 FX and would swap out the crank/cassette to give me the gearing I wanted. But I needed to make the decision quickly before it was also out of stock.

Lighter bike, cool red color, good price . . . I said go for it! My wife called it my mid-life crisis red convertible.

The LBS dropped the ball and did not order in time so now I'm stuck waiting until the 2007 production run begins in late Aug. or early Sept. I checked the other shops to see if the other models I considered were available -- same story. Out of stock until '07 models come out. Apparently this is fairly common for popular brands? I never thought it would be this hard to buy a bike.

Anyway, now it's like Christmas, waiting for that shiny red bike to arrive under the tree!
Coloradopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 10:46 PM   #2
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite, 2012 Masi Evoluzione
That's a fine bike -- I've drooled over it several times. But does this mean you'll have to pay '07 prices? That's a bummer! Hope not.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Digital Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 03:45 AM   #3
wahoonc

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
That's a fine bike -- I've drooled over it several times. But does this mean you'll have to pay '07 prices? That's a bummer! Hope not.
Ask for a rain check?

CP,
Unfortunately that is the way it works in the bicycle industry. They make a model year "run" of bikes and once they are gone they are gone. I bought a '06 Redline 9.2.5, and the distributor was out of all but the 60cm ones. And that was in June On the flip side I have gotten some awesome deals on bikes that didn't sell. I got a '94 Giant Excursion (European style everyday bike) for about 1/2 of full retail because the distributor had a bunch left over and my LBS was asked to help liquidate them One way around it would be to buy a full custom...but then you have to wait too

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 09:38 AM   #4
SemperFi
Pinstriper

Bikes: 05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
Sounded like a good plan...sorry it didn't work out for you.
Your LBS should honor the price though even if it is a new year model...heck, they're not giving the bike away, they just won't make as much on it as they hoped.
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 11:48 AM   #5
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
That sounds like my experience in trying to replace my 18-year-old refrigerator. My wife and I found a new model we liked at a reputable local shop, but the manufacturer evidently had just discontinued it, and we were unable to get one. We'll try again this year.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 11:57 AM   #6
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id
it's a great bike and well worth the wait...i bought my daughter the 7500fx (2005 model) last year and she rides rings around the roadies...so impressed that I picked up a 7.5fx for me last week.

We ride up the Niagara Escarpment...the bike climbs like a goat, and flies down the hills...those slick tires work well on light gravel and sandy roads as well

only downside is that it comes with a Trek saddle...this is the 3'rd Trek I've bought this year, and found that I had to upgrade each one...the worst was the wife's 7300, but the fx's rubbed us the wrong way as well

Price on the 2007's may not be that bad...the price came down on the 2006's from the 2005's...may happen again

Cheers

some pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.5fx.jpg (87.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg hill.jpg (67.1 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by jm01; 08-09-06 at 12:05 PM.
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 11:59 AM   #7
stonecrd
OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach

Bikes: Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
Timing is eveything, as wahoonc says you can make this work to your advantage. I bought my bike at the end of the model year, the listed price was $1,400 and the 2007 was going to MSRP @ $1,600 (new paint scheme and upgraded FD). I got mine for $1,000.

2013 Noah RS
stonecrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 12:30 PM   #8
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
Since you know exactly what you want, try eBay. Or contact some of the bigger sellers there. They might have it even if it's not listed.

- Will Rogers
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 01:17 PM   #9
Coloradopenguin

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Sirrus Comp, 1988 Diamond Back Ascent
I actually have a paid invoice, with a 15% deposit, so I think the price will not change. And I'm working both the Trek rep and LBS for some add-ons (rack, pump, bar ends, ???) for the "pain and suffering" of waiting.

Trek says there will be no different between '06 and '07 models so the price should not be much of an issue.

As for looking elsewhere, I'm a believer in supporting my local LBS. They've had my back on many occasions with repairs, parts, advice, and I want the Trek support, just in case.

Appreciate all the comments!
Coloradopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 01:35 PM   #10
jm01
Banned

Bikes: Ellsworth Id
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin
I actually have a paid invoice, with a 15% deposit, so I think the price will not change. And I'm working both the Trek rep and LBS for some add-ons (rack, pump, bar ends, ???) for the "pain and suffering" of waiting.
Hold out for a better saddle (I got a Selle Italia Trans Am XO for the wife's 7300 from the lbs)...you won't regret it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradopenguin
As for looking elsewhere, I'm a believer in supporting my local LBS. They've had my back on many occasions with repairs, parts, advice, and I want the Trek support, just in case
Way to go...wish there were more like us...whatever support you give your lbs...you get back 1000 times (mine is currently selling the wife's hardtail as a no cost favour)...
jm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-06, 02:13 PM   #11
leob1

Bikes:
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Coloradopenguin, sorry to hear about your boys in Texas. Terrible, just terrible.
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote