Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Cheap Bike Report

2007 Windsor Wellington
    $240 off ebay from Bikes Direct
    Planned usage - backup/mount to trainer

Ordered the bike on a Monday, it arrived the following Monday. The purchasing process went smoothly and BD answered my questions promptly.

The bike comes "dealer ready", that is packed with partial assembly required. There was one minor hole punched in the shipping box were the rear skewer had poked through, no damage to the skewer. The rear wheel and drive train is already mounted with the handlebars, seatpost, seat, front wheel tie wrapped to the frame. See pics. Pedals, stem, front brake, and other bits are in a smaller box.

Assembly
    This is pretty easy, the basic procedure is:
    Mount front wheel
    Mount seat
    Install Stem and shifters
    Mount handlebars
    Install front brake
    Install pedals
    Adjust brakes and derailluers

Quality
    Frame - Kensis 7005 Alum. I was actually impressed with the frame. There was not a mark or blemish I could find and the welds are every bit as good as my Trek.
    Fork - Dura-Forte Cromoly
    Drive Train - Completely Shimano SiS, 53/39 crank, 7-speed 11-28 cassette
    Brakes - ProMax, couldn't find a model #, ProMax levers
    Wheels - Alex RP15 rims (their lowest model), no name hubs, both wheels were true
    Tires - Maxxis 700-23 xeypher
    Seat - Velo
    Shifters - Shimano stem
    Stem - No name quill stem
    Pedals - Alum platform w/straps
    Weight - 23.8 pounds (same as the Trek 1200c)

Build Issues
    The RD was way out of adjustment.

Initial Ride Impressions
    Took the bike for an 8-mile ride last night on my usual hilly course to the center of town and back. There is a definate difference between riding a triple (my 1200) and a double. I usually stay ptretty much in the 42T ring but found that sometimes the 39T of the double wasn't doing it so shifted to the 53T which ended up being a little too much without cross chaining it. So sometimes I hunted for a gear to get comfortable in. This of course is not a bike problem, but a rider problem. OTOH, I thought I would really have a hard time on the big hill that I normally use the granny on, but did not. The 39/28 combo did OK, in fact this bike seems to climb a little easier than the 1200c.

The frame was suprisingly smooth, I expected it to be a little rough because of the steel fork vs the carbon fork on the Trek, but it was not. In fact it felt a little smoother.

The bike also seems faster. On the hill leaving my neighborhood, I can reach 17.9mph on the Trek just coasting. On the Windsor I hit 20.2mph, just coasting. It also accelerates better from a stop.

Overall I really enjoyed the ride, except for some comfort issues.

The stem is too short so I am way too low to be comfortable. I can use a MTB stem which is longer to get the bars up about 1-2 inches. You can get these at Nashbar for 14.95. Or I cound get the Threaded-Threadless adapter and an adjustable stem.

The seat post has no front-to-back tilit adjustment and the front is down a bit so I kept sliding off the seat. I will have to replace the seat post.

The RD still needs some adjustment. If it gives me trouble I will just change it to a Tiagra or 105.

Overall Impressions
    This is a decent bike considering the price. It's much better than an xmart bilke and with a few upgrades would easily compare to a Trek 1000. It's a good value for the money, or a good first bike for the person not wanting to spend $700+.

Once dialed in I will probably ride this on all my nightly 10 mile rides.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tim
    Singing Do Wah Ditty, Ditty Dum Ditty Do

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the report, Tim, and congratulations on a nice bike at a nice price!

I wish more on the forum would post reviews of their new purchases with photos (hint, hint...). I find such reporting valuable even if I don't personally plan to buy that make or model. Since my neighbors see me out riding, they now consider me a "bicycle expert" and often ask me for buying advice. The reviews that you and others post give me more information to add to my repertoire.

In any case, thanks again and happy pedaling!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Thanks for the report, Tim, and congratulations on a nice bike at a nice price!

I wish more on the forum would post reviews of their new purchases with photos (hint, hint...). I find such reporting valuable even if I don't personally plan to buy that make or model. Since my neighbors see me out riding, they now consider me a "bicycle expert" and often ask me for buying advice. The reviews that you and others post give me more information to add to my repertoire.

In any case, thanks again and happy pedaling!

Hear, Hear. We don't all aspire to, or can afford top of the range models and to be quite honest- for a great number of us- they are not necessary. Are you intending to do a 100 miler every week? intending to get your average speed up to 25mph for every ride? or even intending to cycle a couple miles down to the town centre and pose with your new bike with the other lycra clad cyclist's? No You are out to enjoy your riding, the same as most of us. That can be done on most bikes, whether it be a $200 or $2000 beastie.

Keep us posted on the progress of the bike and you, just to make some of us realise that there are alternatives to the big name bikes with the higher prices.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan