Thread: Trek Pilot

My Bikes
    Rivendell Ram, Surly LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trek Pilot

I'm sure this has been brought up in the past but I can't find a thread. I'm looking for a road bike that is more confortable than my 2200 double. It looks like the Pilot is designed to be a more "relaxed" riding position with a triple. I notice they even have a flat bar model. Can current riders give me some ideas? Which Pilot do you ride? What are the alternatives to a Pilot?

My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test rode the Pilot 1.2 a few months ago but it just didn't feel right so I went with a Specialized Sequoia Elite...also a relaxed geometry road bike. If you search on the Forum you will find that there are those who swear by both bikes, and why not, they're both terrific entry level road bikes. The Sequoia just seemed to be a better fit for me and I couldn't be more pleased with the bike.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you decide.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride a Pilot 2.1 and have logged 5,600 miles on it and I am very happy with it. I looked at the Specialized Allez and Roubaix but got a better deal on the Trek.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Banned
    My Bikes
    Ellsworth Id
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1...friends of mine picked up a pair of his & hers 2.1's a couple of months ago and think they're the best bikes that they've ever had under them...they comment on the geometry and the relaxed, more upright riding position...they still bug me about my new hybrid and how I should have gone with their bikes...they're both in their late 50's and tell me that these bikes are perfect for their style of riding (150km road rides are their choice de weekend)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Pilot 1.2 and have no complaint other than the ride is stiffer than my 83 trek 500 because of the alum frame. I really noticed this when I started riding again after I fractured my shoulder, on rough pavement I could feel the difference. I am starting to enjoy the STI shifting over the barends on my 500. The brakes work well, the tires are 700x28 so have a nice ride and even the seat is comfortable.
    I flipped the stem and liked the position but shoulder couldn't take it so flipped it back until I am better healed.
    I wasn't in the market when I bought the bike but I got it $400 under MSRP so couldn't turn it down.
    Treks, 83-600, 85-420, 87-560, 90-930,92-970, 95-930, 1220, LeMonds, 2000 Zurich, 05-Etape, 06-Versailles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody riding the Ultegra level Pilot? Comments?
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot.....

tn_roadie,

Have you considered renting? A lbs here rents bikes for the weekend for $35 and then deducts all rental fees from the price of a new bike purchase.

It gives you the chance to ride much further than the parking lot and might be a way to decide on wheather or not a Pilot is right for you.

Also, there might be a Pilot message or two over at RBR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace
    tn_roadie,

Have you considered renting? A lbs here rents bikes for the weekend for $35 and then deducts all rental fees from the price of a new bike purchase.

It gives you the chance to ride much further than the parking lot and might be a way to decide on wheather or not a Pilot is right for you.

Also, there might be a Pilot message or two over at RBR.
    Wow, the only rental I was able to find was $12.00 per hour for a road bike. I thought that was a bit steep. Did find a shop that let me take my prospective bike out for over an hour. Guess where I bought my bike?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's too bad that the search feature does not work. There have been quite a few people interested in knowing more about Trek Pilot bikes and there's a lot of recent info that has been posted--more than you'd think to ask about (sometimes there's a bit of misinformation too).

The whole package--e.g., mine has the CF frame--make it the best road bike for me so far. It could be your last bike, unless you need a steel tour bike with pannier racks someday.

The Pilot pretty much was the right fit for me and my riding preferences--right out of the box--and, even came with a great blue metalflake paint job. The paint on my old Zurich was practically like butter.

P.S., Here's some links (some with pix):

Trek Pilot 5.2 for Summit to Surf
    trek pilot
    Trek Pilot
    Pilot 1.2, Sequoia, Allez Elite or Allez Sport???
    TREK Pilot
    Trek Pilot?

Last edited by wagathon; 08-09-06 at 04:56 PM.

My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 1.2, Specialized Sirius
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Pilot 1.2 in May. It replaces a Specialized Sirrus (flatbar) that I've had for a couple of years. The goal was a lighter, faster ride that's easier for me on hills (lots and lots of hills around here).

The Pilot felt good in the store and feels good until about 25 miles. Then my neck and shoulders start whining. At 30 miles they start complaining. At 35 miles they are seriously ANGRY!!!

I just finished a long weekend in which I did a 30 miler, a 40 miler, a 20 miler, and 45 miler. At the end of the 45 miler, I was in some agony.

I'm taking the Sirrus into the LBS tomorrow to have the computer and clipless pedals moved from the Pilot back to the Sirrus. I'll also put a mountain bike cassette on the Sirrus to make it easier to climb hills. I'll never be a "D" rider on the Sirrus, but I think I'll enjoy my rides more.

Not yet sure what I'm going to do with the Pilot.

My Bikes
    Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    I believe that is a carbon frame (5.2) Very nice bike. That is the one I'd do.
    Carpe who?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5.2 is my ride.

What sold me was the ride quality. It's really good over city streets.

It handles well and will get up and go without all that much effort. It climbs really nicely. The Flat top bars let you stretch out and get a little more aero without having to fit aero bars.

No complaints here.

The '05 was a very nice understated Blue/Silver treatment. I don't much care for the paint on the '06: bit too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    Last edited by jwbnyc; 08-09-06 at 11:35 PM.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 5.2 is a great bike, I would have went that route but I was just getting back into cycling and was not sure if I would really keep up the miles. I didn't want to spend the money on a CF and then find out I was only riding 1-2 days a week. As with most people I am lusting for a new bike now. With that said my 105 components work great, the only upgrade I made was to put on a set of Mavix CP-33 wheels with Dura Ace hub and Ultegra cassette. A friend gave these to me. I also use the 105 SPD-SL pedals and have found these very easy to get in and out of and the cleats have lasted me 5000 miles so far.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have ridden the Trek Pilot 5.2 for a year now, and have put 4,500 miles on it. I really like everything about it. It appears to me to be the most flexible high end bike out there. You can use narrow or wide tires. You can use no fenders or full fenders. You can add racks if you choose. By changing your stem, you can easily have a bike that has the bars higher then the seat, or several inches lower. The triple Ultegra components are terrific. The carbon fiber frame is exceptioanlly smooth. I don't think you can have this degree of flexibility with most high end carbon bikes. If you are a serial monogamist in your bikes (like to have only one bike at a time), this is the one.

http://www.bikeforums.net/attachment...1&d=1155269675
    Last edited by mgearing; 08-10-06 at 10:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my 5.2 this spring. After 1200 miles have had no problems. Did not go with the flat bar. On longer rides I like to move my hands around. My hybrid has flat bar and I tend to get numb hands after an hour or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pilot 5.2 SPA and my wife has the 5.0 WSD

both are nice bikes--

I went from not riding to riding a pilot and in 4 months have about 1200 miles on it and some long rides-- the advantage of purchasing one at a bike shop is they will change out components such as stems-- which can make all the difference

Bottom line-- nice bike that does what it is designed to do-- make a more comfortable riding platform -- but one that is also fast -- not as fast as the more competitive road bikes but I think the difference in rider condition, skill and fitness wont let that difference show in 95 percent or more of us

Great bikes and well priced

I like the spa part for going over rough areas such as brick roads

regards from Iowa

Gene

My Bikes
    06 Bacchetta Giro 20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilot 2.1 SPA here

I considered several but in the end went with the LBS I was most happy with, all else being a toss-up. As it turns out, I have NO regrets what so ever. After 2150 miles, I could not be happier. Occasionally I wonder how I would have fared with something a bit more aggressive, but I find the SPA a great ride and a well balanced choice for my needs.
    "Whoever wants to reach a distant goal must take many small steps" -Helmut
    Schmidt

06 Bacchetta Giro 20

My Bikes
    '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=tn_roadie]I'm sure this has been brought up in the past but I can't find a thread. I'm looking for a road bike that is more confortable than my 2200 double. It looks like the Pilot is designed to be a more "relaxed" riding position with a triple. I notice they even have a flat bar model. Can current riders give me some ideas? Which Pilot do you ride? What are the alternatives to a Pilot?[/QUOTE]

Last month, I bought a Raleigh Cadent. It has a relaxed riding position, as well. I like it really well, but I probably don't know much since this is my first road bike.

http://www.raleighusa.com/depts.asp?deptid=4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't Disco use them at Paris Roubaix last Year?

g7777777 wrote;

"not as fast as the more competitive road bikes but I think the difference in rider condition, skill and fitness wont let that difference show in 95 percent or more of us"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek put the spa system( just a bumper really) in a comp bike for the team-- it wasnt a pilot but Trek did put them into some 5.2 and 2.1s Pilots for 2006

Is it worth the money? I like it but probably not needed

The pilot alone is very comfortable

Improving every day!
    My Bikes
    Trek Pilot 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see Litespeed used to make a comfort-oriented road bike called the Veneto. Has anyone seen or ridden one? Would the titaium make much of a difference?
    I see Trek now makes the Pilot all the way up to the Model 5.9 level. Looks like a good sign to us older riders - we are an important part of the market!

I also see Ritchey now makes and adjustable stem. That should allow a more upright, comfortable position.