Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comeback and crash...

I was away from my bike for 2 months due to a disk hernia. I went through 1 month of unsuccessful non-surgical (but very painful) treatment, and finally had surgery 4 weeks ago.

I did my first ride last Sunday with a friend; 20 miles at a slowish pace. I was exhilarated! I thought I wouldn't even make 2 miles with my skinny leftover-left leg.

Yesterday we went for the second ride; we were cruising along the Potomac River in Wash DC and at one point my front weel got stuck in a gap between the sidewalk and a concrete stairway that goes down to the river... I went over the handlebars down the stairs still clipped to the bike. My God it was a hard one.

I freaked-out while I was on the air! Fortunately nothing related to my surgery seems messed-up!!

I got the worst part on my elbow (swollen) and five spots with road (stairs?) rash. I could ride back to the car and only started to feel all the pains after I showered at home.

The wheel, a Velocity Spartacus with 16 spokes only got a 1mm wobble and some scatches. Man those wheels are bullet=proof. Got a scratch on the brifter too...

I'm working on my elbow with ice. I don't want to see a doc again for at least 1 year. I hope to be riding again in 3 or 4 days.

Last night I couldn't sleep with the pain remix

Just wanted to share.

Bests.
    A California ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about your accident - glad you weren't badly hurt! Keep the ICE (immobilize, cold, elevation) going to minimize swelling. Both aspirin & advil are dandy OTC anti-inflammatories. GET WELL SOON!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    Sorry to hear about your accident - glad you weren't badly hurt! Keep the ICE (immobilize, cold, elevation) going to minimize swelling. Both aspirin & advil are dandy OTC anti-inflammatories. GET WELL SOON!
    Thanks!

I'm still on medication for my back surgery since I had the sciatica nerve squeezed for too long and the pain persists, so I guess those pills will work on the elbow too.

I got off those narcotic painkillers about 10 days ago; I certainly would have liked to have one of those last night! Those are bad but are good

The ice is working well. I have a gel-pack that I wrap around my elbow about 15 minutes every hour.

Best Regards.
    A California ordinance states that a $500 fine will be given to anyone who detonates a nuclear device within city limits.

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe3
    ...I got off those narcotic painkillers about 10 days ago; I certainly would have liked to have one of those last night! Those are bad but are good...
    I know what you mean! I'm allergic to the narcotic painkillers. Every time I take one, the pain goes away, but I spend the next 24 hours scratching like a dog with fleas! I usually prefer to put up with the pain...

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is bad luck. Shuck it off and go riding again as soon as you feel better.
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecrd
    Wow, that is bad luck. Shuck it off and go riding again as soon as you feel better.
    Right! I didn't want to use the the term "bad luck" to not condition myself and decided to not give the elbow the chance to get worse. Ice worked wonders!! This morning I woke up painless (just a little) no biggie.

As soon as it quits raining I'm out there again

Thanks!

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you're okay! What a story, nothing but better things now!