OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How far have you walked?

So I would expect everyone at one time or another ran out of tubes or had a mechanical they could not fix and with no one to pick them up had to walk home. How far?

My longest was 20mi
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I first got my mtn bike in 1998, I thought I could go anywhere. So I did, and immediately got about 5 goatheads in each tire. Being a total neophyte, I had NOTHING with me, and walked in - but only 5 miles, not 20 like you.

Now I have a cell phone, and carry everything I need.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In cleats, 6 miles. Not so strangely, had to replace the cleats.
    Riding and aging don't get easier, you just get slower at slowing down.] (FiftyPlus observation inspired by G. Lemond.)

My Bikes
    Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossChain
    In cleats, 6 miles. Not so strangely, had to replace the cleats.
    Five blocks. Did not want to walk in cycling shoes so I went barefoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only two miles, in cleats, on pavement. I was only about 1/2 mile from home as the crow flies.
    what are 'goatheads'?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leob1
    Only two miles, in cleats, on pavement. I was only about 1/2 mile from home as the crow flies.
    what are 'goatheads'?
    A very nasty common vine whose seed is shaped like a goathead with a needle sharp "horn" which gives many flats around here. Also known as puncture vine.

DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

OnTheRoad or AtTheBeach stonecrd's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Ridley Noah RS, Scott CR1 Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I walked the twenty I was using toe clips and had running shoes on so it wasn't too bad other than the time it took. I always carry a cell phone but sometimes no one is available. Since adding clipless I think 2mi is the longest and I take my shoes off and carry them. I rather wreck a pair of socks than my cleats. I think these days I would probably call a cab rather than walk 20miles :>)
    The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard and the shallow end is much too large

2013 Noah RS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you kidding me, that thing is real !?!
    Another good reason to live in New Jersey, the crooks will only case you 2 or 3 blocks, easy to out run them on a bike.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eight miles in stocking feet (didn't want the cleats to wear out) after wheel folded from hitting a pot hole.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. - S. Wright

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once we had a flat about 5 miles away on a path with a tandem. The bad thing - I had a plane to catch. We RAN 5 miles - with bike!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big advantage of living in an overcrowded country is that you are never far from civilisation. 27th December last year and I went out in the snow, not a great amount by any standards but the intention was to get up on the hills and ride home in the snow. Back to my childhood again but the idea was fun. Took a road ride down to the coast and the quick road route up to the hills. As I got to the top of the hill- My chain started squeaking. Just got offroad, put in a bit of effort to get up a rise and the chain snapped. See attachment for the spot where it broke. Free wheel down the hill, back to the cafe that I always use on the front to await recovery from the wife. Had no control down the hill as no resistance on the cranks and the brakes started to overheat. Then a gentle slope downhill along the front. Can still remember it as I had to have another piece of pie to recover from putting in no effort for 2 miles at 15mph and I was frozen. If I remember rightly, it was Warm fudge cake with hot chocolate sauce.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was trying to squeeze the last drops out of an old pair of Michelin 20mm folding tires. The front sidewall blew out to the tune of "Shotgun Boogie" as I was beginning a ride one morning. After I let my racing heart settle down and checked my ears for blood, I walked the two miles home.

I was wearing cleatless touring shoes so walking home was easy. This was in the days of toeclips and straps, (pre clipless) so one could use either cleated or non cleated shoes with the same pedals.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Geez, my two miles seems pretty lame by all these big numbers.

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The longest I have every walked is about 1/8th of a mile when I got a flat when I was almost home and decided it was easier to walk home and then fix it as opposed to fixing it on the road.

I have had a few close calls when there would have been LONG walks home. One was having a left crank arm come loose about 10 miles from home. I was able to get it tight enough with cr*p that I found in the ditch to act as a rudimentary wrench. Another time involved using a found nail and some rocks as a chain tool to repair a busted chain. That took about an hour on the side of the road to fix. Both of these incidents were well before the advent of cell phones.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    Giant Cypress SX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two miles, and this after the interesting discovery that an inflator will really inflate a tire. Also discovered that without spare tube or patch kit, the inflation was nothing more than an interesting, but momentary observation.
    Some people are like a Slinky ... not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still refuse to take a cell phone on my bike journeys. They distrub by peace. Once, Got about 15 miles from home and had to call my wife to come and get me. Walked maybe 4 miles to a phone booth.
    Often my bike journeys closely followed known bus routes, So I could hope on one in case.
    Where, I live now. That is not possible. I get way off the beaten path. And still do not carry a cell phone, but do carry a phone card. Towns here are usually within 5 miles of one another.

My Bikes
    (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I carry a cell phone, but keep it switched off when I'm riding. The furthest I've walked is about a mile from where the bike had the puncture to the end of the bike trail where I met the cab. I had one CO2 cartridge with me, plus a spare tube with a bad valve (found out after using the CO2) and no repair kit. I learned that it is easier to jog wearing cleated shoes than it is to walk in them.

- Wil
    "" - Marcel Marceau

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I usually try to walk atop soil when forced to walk while wearing cleated shoes.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it count if I've had to walk to the back of the bike to get some tools or a cell phone?

Really. Just been lucky I guess. Even in college, never got stranded in 10,000 miles or so.