Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Brooks B67 (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/218247-brooks-b67.html)

George 08-10-06 08:40 AM

Brooks B67

I just got a Brooks B67 for my wife and is it ever nice. We were out for our daily ride, me on the B17 and my wife with her B67. When we got back I took hers for a ride,WOW. I was wondering why most of us go through the trouble of breaking the B17 in when you have something as nice as the B67. By the way the B17 is the best saddle I've had out of 5 that I tried. George

jcm 08-10-06 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by George McClusky
I just got a Brooks B67 for my wife and is it ever nice. We were out for our daily ride, me on the B17 and my wife with her B67. When we got back I took hers for a ride,WOW. I was wondering why most of us go through the trouble of breaking the B17 in when you have something as nice as the B67. By the way the B17 is the best saddle I've had out of 5 that I tried. George

Congratulations, George. You're half way there. Now, sell that 17 and get yourself another 67 for your bike to complete the evolution. ;) You mentioned a Trek 7300? The 67 would be perfect for that geometry. The 67 is, without question, the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden. Works fine for getting groceries or for centuries.
http://i3.tinypic.com/246l9ap.jpg

Monoborracho 08-10-06 10:34 AM

This one has about 1500 miles on it. It will absolutely spoil you. (Ignore other bikes in background)

I-Like-To-Bike 08-10-06 11:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)

I was wondering why most of us go through the trouble of breaking the B17 in when you have something as nice as the B67. By the way the B17 is the best saddle I've had out of 5 that I tried. George

Beats me why.

30 year old B66 (same as B67, different post mounting clamp); comfy from day one. Still in daily use on my commuting bike. No proofhide, no nothing else but sweat

Kenal0 08-10-06 12:06 PM

Because I could not possibly ride an 18 lb road bike with a spring seat!!!! :)
Kenal0

jcm 08-10-06 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Beats me why.

30 year old B66 (same as B67, different post mounting clamp); comfy from day one. Still in daily use on my commuting bike. No proofhide, no nothing else but sweat

I've got an old B73 (3-springer, as you know) that looks about like that. It used to be on my old 3-speed, but I've retired it and used the rear springs on a new 67 that is on the MTB. The springs off the 73 are .084" vs. .093" on a 66/67. Noticeably softer ride, even with the minimal dif in thickness.

Absolutely love those saddles.

I-Like-To-Bike 08-10-06 01:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Kenal0
Kenal0

Then try it on a real bike, not a weight wienie imitation.

B73 on a Real Bike for Real Men!:)

capejohn 08-10-06 02:10 PM

I took mine off after 500 miles or so. It's back in the box to be tried another day. Maybe.

jcm 08-10-06 02:15 PM

Yup, that's the one. You have to be totally centered in your personal self image to ride around on that bike, too. :D

I-Like-To-Bike 08-10-06 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jcm
Yup, that's the one. You have to be totally centered in your personal self image to ride around on that bike, too. :D

Yup, sure beats bicycling with uncomfortable equipment/technique in order to fit somebody else's idea of correct bicycling self image.

Monoborracho 08-10-06 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kenal0
Kenal0

Well, maybe you couldn't, but I put a Champion Flyer on a 23 pound road bike and I like it, springs and all. It is a flat bar road bike, which could make some difference.

Big Paulie 08-10-06 11:51 PM

Beats me why.

ILTB: In that time, how have the springs held up? Did they get much softer?

I-Like-To-Bike 08-11-06 08:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Big Paulie
ILTB: In that time, how have the springs held up? Did they get much softer?

The springs eventually broke after about 20 years of use, about 5000 miles/year. I am about 200 lbs. Luckily not at the same time. Also luckily I was living near an excellent LBS (Heidel in downtown Heidelberg) who order a pair after the first broke for DM10 (about $5). Picked up the pair the next day. Believe it or not, the two springs are not the same, being right and left twist. Easy install , one nut, just replace broken spring with new one. Saved the other new spring for if-when the second spring broke which happened about two years later.

When a B66 spring breaks the saddle is still useble but will tilt slightly to one side. Won't leave you stuck anywhwere but should definitly be replaced as soon as possible.

I never noted any difference in Spring tension over time, perhaps a bit of less tension from the leather.

Also Brooks related, I had to replace rivets on my B72 after about 10 years of hard use. Cheap non-Brooks pop rivets work well.

Kenal0 08-11-06 08:54 AM

That bike is sweet. You just do not see a nice cruiser like that anymore.
I just ordered a sprung B17 for my Dahon Folder. It should be here Tuesday. I cannot wait.
Kenal0