Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help from women (pelvic surgery)

I hope nobody gets angry at me when I tell you that I'm 35. But there is a reason why I am on this forum. In November I had major pelvic floor surgery that is rarely performed on someone my age. I'm going to get on the women's only forum as soon as I figure out how.

I've been trying bikes for about 2 weeks. If you're interested in giving me some advice you could look up my posts by my username. It's a lot to type all over again. Look at the threads I started. (Bikes for women and dual suspension).

The most recent development is today I finally tried a mountain bike with front suspension and suspension seat post. I tried to give the bike the benefit of the doubt (it was a Specialized Hardrock) because that's what my doctor recommended. But it just wasn't comfortable, nothing is as comfortable as the hybrids, especially the Trek 7200.

Any thoughts? Any advice or insight is much appreciated, because I really want to start riding, right now!
    Thanks,
    Lesli

My Bikes
    2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a woman and I really can't offer any useful advice, but I am moved by your plight and am trying to send out as much positive energy as possible. I hope that helps.
    I'm the world's forgotten boy. The one who's searchin', searchin' to destroy.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sounds like a recumbent or trike may be an appropriate cycle for you at this point: there was another poster (a male) who had serious pelvic surgery on this forum within the past several weeks. He was experiencing extreme pain sitting on ANY kind of conventional diamond-frame bike seat. I'll look for that posting...
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    2005 Surly LHT; 2006 Surly CrossCheck with Extracycle; 1987 Schwinn World Sport as urban cruiser
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here it is: from MajorBob who had a motorcycle accident

Help with seat selection . . .

Haven't seen him post recently on BF50+ but you may look for him in some of the other forums to see if he found something he could comfortably ride.

There are diamondframe (DF) riders that give recumbent ('bent) riders grief & vice versa but who cares if you are riding on 2 (or 3) wheels & cruising down the path/road/hwy with the wind in your face & a smile...? Good luck with your search - sorry not to be more help.
    centexwoody
    They're beautiful handsome machines that translate energy into joy.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88 phase 1/ Surly 1x1/Cannondale R700 WSD 650c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mollusk
    I really can't offer any useful advice, but I am moved by your plight and am trying to send out as much positive energy as possible. I hope that helps.
    ditto...
    I am also seeking the "womens forums"....

Blessings to you...
    If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.
    http://www.myspace.com/qwtrailbuilders
    rip sydney

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Womens Forums

Someone said that there is a hidden womens forum here and you can get to by contacting the moderator.

Also, someone over at RBR suggested....http://forums.teamestrogen.com/

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ladies, PM moderators Stacey or Lala to get into the Women's Forum. Sorry you've had a hard time finding it, but the moderator who was running it has gone, very suddenly, which has caused some confusion.

I think this link will get you Stacey's profile, where you can send a PM: http://www.bikeforums.net/members/stacey-4482.html
    I think this link will get you Lala: http://www.bikeforums.net/members/lala-9340.html

Good luck,
    Dagna
    Last edited by dagna; 08-11-06 at 10:29 AM.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope you find an answer............this time.

Posted earlier...........

Dual suspension?
    =======================================
    Originally Posted by notenspeed
    O.K "Tightwad" you convinced me to take a look at Trikes. 2 problems: the cost, and the extreme upright postion. The upright position may not be a problem with a trike, since it's a full seat, I don't know. But upright is definitely a problem on a regular bike.

Also, thanks to the person who recommended the 50+ forum. Very few people my age have this surgery, or problems like this. I'm going to test ride again today, then I'll get on the 50+.
    =============================================================
    Ok fair enough. I STRONGLY recommend the Worksman PAV3 ( a semi-recumbent with a FULL chair
    seat) of a full recumbent trike. My goal is to get you on a seat that covers your whole butt instead
    of ....well....between your legs (sorry) which is your basic problem now. The common upright trike
    can be made more comfortable but is not the "right" trike in this case as they are to tippy or
    cumbersome at speed. If you travel slow or a short distance they are Ok for that.

Also, One idea that might work for your comfort is a pure wool sheep skin seat cover. Wool sheepskin
    is often used to ease discomfort for healing patients in a recovery situation (which you are now in).
    I've bought from these folk's and they are OK so give this bike seat cover a look as it may be all
    you need to get you by until you're fully healed.

http://www.outpostseatcovers.com/spe...bike_auto.html

all the best ,mate. Get well soon.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new bike!

Thank you for all the positive thoughts coming my way. I love the suggestions about the seats, even though the LBS employee was highly doubtful. I looked at all those websites, and might take the plunge. But first, I'm going to give my NEWBIKE a shot with the seat as it is, because it's pretty comfortable.

I got a Giant Cypress, the DX model which is the third cheapest model of Cypress. I called the doctor's office, and he said if a hybrid feels more comfortable than a mountain bike, then go for it.

Tightwad: I test rode a trike, and they're just not for me. Maybe it was the brand, but I felt less manueverable and less visible. But thanks for keeping track of my progress! Plus, if the bike doesn't work out, I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Now that I've picked a bike, I'm still looking for somebody who has had my type of surgery to share experiences with (maybe on the women's forum?). By the way, some wonderful person has given me directions on how to get to the WOMEN"S FORUM. I guess I probably shouldn't just put it in a thread, because she sent me a private message, so send me a private message if you're interested.

Must get sleep now, because I'm riding early in the morning!

You're all wonderful, happy riding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notenspeed
    e.

I got a Giant Cypress, the DX model which is the third cheapest model of Cypress. I called the doctor's office, and he said if a hybrid feels more comfortable than a mountain bike, then go for it.

Tightwad: I test rode a trike, and they're just not for me. Maybe it was the brand, but I felt less manueverable and less visible. But thanks for keeping track of my progress! Plus, if the bike doesn't work out, I will keep your suggestion in mind.
    Great choice of bike , mate. Thanks for trying a trike as now there are no doubts for you about one.

On another note...........

PLEASE....... give some consideration to the sheepskin seat cover. I know it'll look dorky as all
    get out BUT it will offer you comfort that little else can while you heal. Since the cover would
    be temporary you can take it off later when you heal enough. Medical science knows the value
    of sheepskin for cases such as yours so ask your doctor about it.

http://www.outpostseatcovers.com/spe...bike_auto.html

all the best, mate.

Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tightwad

PLEASE....... give some consideration to the sheepskin seat cover. I know it'll look dorky as all
    get out BUT it will offer you comfort that little else can while you heal. Since the cover would
    be temporary you can take it off later when you heal enough. Medical science knows the value
    of sheepskin for cases such as yours so ask your doctor about it.
    Will do, thanks. I don't care if I look like a dork. My husband says I already do with my helmet and sunglasses. Hey, I just posted a new thread about my first ride. Title: Newbie takes her first ride/commute. I'd like to get some of your comments on that!

Beautiful day, have a great ride.

L

bobkat
    My Bikes
    Modified Burley Koosah, Trek Navigater folding, downtube folding
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a retired Gynecologist who had a major interest in reconstructive pelvic surgery. Unfortunately the question you asked is pretty unanswerable via internet, as I have no idea what surgery you had, your physical condition before and after the surgery, what the tissue looked like at the time of surgery, what the results look like now, etc.
    Sounds like you are at least 7 months out from surgery, so nothing you do (at least in moderation) would affect the eventual outcome of your surgery.
    As far as what bike, or what kind of bike to ride?? I personally ride a recumbent because of previous back surgery and stroke, but assuming you are young and healthy, I would go with the old saying "if it feels good, do it!" The type of bike probably doesn't matter much, if at all.
    I'm not sure what the comment "rarely performed" means?? I've personally done major reconstructive surgery on many people even younger than yourself, so does this means you had some kind of unusual problem, or was your physician "hamming it up" to look heroic as I have seen a number of physicians do?? Unfortunately not too uncommon in the profession........Or were you told the surgery was VERY extensive and unusual to emphasize taking it easy as you may be the type of hard driving patient who tends to overdo it during the post surgery period?? Again, not too unusual a situation..... Sometimes the end certainly justifies the means when it comes to getting a patient to follow sound advice! Not that I'm saying you are hard headed or anything like that! Some patients, usually the healthier ones, simply find it tougher to throttle back till they eventually heal up. (Perhaps I should have taken some of my own advice here after my last back surgery instead of----oh, well..)
    So its impossible to give you an objective accurate anwser, but I wouldn't worry too much about the type of bike you ride. Now that full healing has occured, ride whatever is comfortable for you, don't overdo it, and ask your physician for advice; sounds like she/he is a biker!
    Good luck with your biking. I just finished a 400+ mile 5 day road tour - it continually amazes mae the wide variety and health and ages of the people involved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Notenspeed, these sites may be of interest to you. The first is written by Riin Gill
    a lady who has been involved with bikes a long time and has much good stuff to
    offer. She has recently changed her site so be ready to stop her down load at the
    bike site before it goes to her other site for cycling stuff. She has a lot to offer
    women on both sites.

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~riin/bikes/

The other site is good also with lots of good links.

http://www.ucolick.org/~de/AltTrans/index2.html

Hope you enjoy both,mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, not a gal either, but you mentioned hybrids and the Trek 7200. I'm an young old guy of 66 and considered the Trek but found the Specialized Crossroads Elite more to my likeing. Seat was more comfortable for my butt and it shifted a lot smoother + the armadillo tires are a plus. I would rather ride than fix a flat.